Forums » Elder Scrolls

Vent Discussion: What do you hate more than anything about Skyri

• 295 posts
    May 11, 2014 10:59 PM EDT

Muhuahuahua, me too. :)

• 295 posts
    May 11, 2014 11:10 PM EDT

Actually, Wagner's design for the Walkuries and Wotan included helms decorated with Raven's wings, since the raven was associated with Wotan, so no, Wagner never used horns. That came later in parodies. 

• May 11, 2014 11:12 PM EDT

The main thing that makes me angry is that it could have been so much better...but they just didn't. 

• 1441 posts
    May 11, 2014 11:17 PM EDT
    I hate how it had a low variety of horses.
    • 295 posts
    May 11, 2014 11:21 PM EDT

What bothers me the most? The inability to use spells or staves while on horseback. I'd completely understand not being able to dual cast, cause you need a hand to drive the horse, but casting with one hand? Also, horses could be a tad faster, just a tad. 

• 1441 posts
    May 11, 2014 11:26 PM EDT
    Uh, they're built for the harsh climate of Skyrim, not the plains of Cyrodill
    • 295 posts
    May 11, 2014 11:51 PM EDT

Then they need some skooma. 

• May 12, 2014 12:40 AM EDT

Superficially?... How much argonians and Khajiit look like humans with animal heads and tails stuck on. I understand WHY it's like that, from a rigging/mesh/making it work with everything else etc etc perspective. But it bothers me conceptually, breaks my sense of disbelief a little. Pushing their shape to be closer to how the werewolves are, visually, would be really nice... Ah well.

More seriously? This is probably because of my background at a D&D player... But I think its the underlying sense of being rail-roaded by the plot(s), despite the game being so big and "open ended" at first glance! It'd be nice to see more variety and impact to things, based on decisions you make. You have a hand in a few big decisions (Civil War, Forsworn...)... But even there, the exact form of it just feels so scripted to me. I'd love to see something like they did with New Vegas, where the endings are a mix-and-match of different outcomes caused by the variables you affected.

Heck. Even just making it so there can be quest-relate consequences to your actions... Results of snubbing deadric lords during their quests. More ways to lock yourself out of certain quests because of past choices... I understand not wanting to accidentally punish a player, but I kind of feel like it'd add a certain level of excitement to the game. ACTUAL risks can be really fun! I just feel like there was some missed opportunities for depth, when instead they went for sheer breadth.

• May 12, 2014 12:45 AM EDT

I agree entirely. I can't help thinking of Fallout:New Vegas factions system, which meant your choices and interactions with different groups affected the overall setting and game much more dramatically and specifically than "Stormcloaks or Imperials"... Of course that's not necessarily a perfect solution either, but it still offers an interesting "what if..."

I think what's missing is the sense of actual "risk" when making choices. Ultimately, your choices have very minor consequences, so it doesn't matter. Whereas if there were real results, some of them bad/unpleasant/frustrating, from the actions you took, it'd add nice suspense and excitement!

And the roleplaying opportunities. Oh, the roleplaying.

• 13 posts
    May 12, 2014 10:17 AM EDT

The fact that you can't truly side with the villains. My evil characters sympathized with many of them.

Mercer Frey: The letters you find indicate that he's a top notch thief, despite his poor performance as your follower. You also find his plans laid out in plain sight on his desk, and he taunts you when you're tracking him down. In my role play I imagine that he robbed the guild out of boredom more than anything else. Also, I hate Karliah.

Harkon: Mainly annoyed that there was so little interaction with him. If you go Volkihar you go straight from valued follower one moment to be seen as a threat to his power the next, with so little warning. I wanted to tell Harkon where Valerica was so that her blood could fulfill the prophesy. That way you can be evil without sacrificing Serana, since Bathesda is determined that we must love her.

Miraak: Again, annoyed with how little interaction he has with the player. I also couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. He's been trapped in a realm of oblivion for centuries, and is using whatever means he can to escape. It was also creepy how Hermaous Mora seems to consider you Miraak's replacement, and Miraak's final words of how he hopes you will get the same reward he did, ie, being trapped.

• 1217 posts
    September 26, 2014 10:57 PM EDT

That would have been a really nice touch. ~~belated-reply~~

• September 26, 2014 11:19 PM EDT

I like the people on this Skyrim Blog. They entertain me with silly Character builds and comments. You entertain me as well.

• 700 posts
    September 27, 2014 12:22 AM EDT

Maaaannn, you a drama queen.  

• 1 posts
    October 6, 2014 7:48 AM EDT
    Ok, my vent & the reason I was looking for a game blog:

What is it with my horse always wandering off an getting himself killed??? I love my in game horse, so it really drives me bananas when I have to reload a level because I dismounted & he had to wander away as soon as I had my back turned. It would be hilarious how realistic that is, if it weren't for the fact that it takes time to reload a saved game. It happened six different times today too!

Ok, vent completed. Suggestions?
    • 1217 posts
    October 7, 2014 12:00 AM EDT

Got none, unfortunately. Actually, one: Arvak. I just don't use a horse anymore unless I have Arvak. My problem with the horses wasn't that they'd wander off and die, but they'd charge into the middle of my combat and die. Just doesn't work XD

• 700 posts
    October 7, 2014 2:02 AM EDT

Enmon sucks.  I reloaded saves for forty minutes trying to keep him alive, but he was frustratingly bad at staying alive.  

• 1217 posts
    October 7, 2014 2:09 AM EDT
    Can't say I've heard of that horse.
    • 700 posts
    October 7, 2014 2:19 AM EDT

Nah nah, Enmon is the father of Fjotra, the Sybil of Dibella.  During the mission The Heart of Dibella, there's an option take take Enmon with you to fight some Forsworn and Enmon just sucks so hard.  

• 100 posts
    October 7, 2014 3:19 AM EDT

Solitudes Stables work in the same way as the Riften one. You can pick one potato, sell it back to the lady, and instantly go get a free horse. If it dies, it seems to respawn as well. 

Shadowmare and Arvak FTW though

• 1217 posts
    October 8, 2014 10:36 AM EDT
    Just some of the ham fisted plot progression, particularly in the main quest. It throws me when intelligent characters do stupid things in the name of writing.
    • 627 posts
    October 9, 2014 2:31 AM EDT

The fact no one (and this fits with the majority of TES games i think) really cares that you broke out of prison at the start of the game. At the very least someone should have tried to put you back, i mean it's not like no one else survived and knows that you escaped. The only people that comment on it are Tullius and Ulfric and then only once when you join up with them.

• 249 posts
    October 9, 2014 3:01 AM EDT
    The way Morrowind starts it seems more like you made a deal to get of jail by helping the Blades on Vvardenfell. So nobody would really know the truth except them. But otherwise I agree.
    • 627 posts
    October 9, 2014 3:14 AM EDT

Yeah that's about the only one where they let you out, but there still isn't much mention of it made afterwards

• 249 posts
    October 9, 2014 3:41 AM EDT
    Yeah, it's probably super low key. If any one mentions it Caius Cosades will off em and sell their belongings for skooma.
    • 627 posts
    October 9, 2014 3:42 AM EDT

Now that would have been an interesting story.