Forums » Elder Scrolls

Stormcloaks,Imperials,or The Thalmor?

• 285 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:00 PM EDT
    We know of way more civil strife in the empire than the Ayleids.
    • 285 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:02 PM EDT
    No, I mean the whole legal system, it was from the Elves, along with the language, economic system et cetera, et cetera.
    • 285 posts
    June 9, 2014 1:03 PM EDT
    No they weren't, they lived separately, the Nords had their own cities, own gods, there was no second class citizen in that situation.
    • 1441 posts
    June 9, 2014 2:11 PM EDT
    If you only applied the caravans, it makes sense their not allowed. The guards have checkered pasts until their employer saved them, and they have Moon Suger and Skooma. While these hold significance in Kahjitt beliefs, to everyone else, they are drugs.
    • 966 posts
    June 9, 2014 2:31 PM EDT

They simply took what they were familiar with after living under the Elves for so long. If there were no Elves in Tamriel the Humans would've made their own legal system and language and economic system and everything. It doesn't really matter.

• 966 posts
    June 9, 2014 2:38 PM EDT

For obvious reasons that has nothing to do with how much civil strife there actually was.

• 9 posts
    June 10, 2014 4:29 AM EDT

You know androids and time travel are both in-game, right?

• 622 posts
    June 10, 2014 5:01 AM EDT

Not really. The Elder Scroll is more of a one-way portal and the Dwemer constructs are more like robots then anything else

• 1441 posts
    June 10, 2014 10:29 AM EDT
    I agree, the antagonist could be, I'm N tV Tropes terms, a Knight Templar, a Well Intentioned Extremist, an. Antihero, or an Anti Villain.
  • June 10, 2014 12:43 PM EDT

I would like to add that I am for the Empire, just not this weak one with the jelly backbone. Ulfric Stormcloak is the more proactive choice against the Dominion, and he's probably a Shezzarine.

• 9 posts
    June 10, 2014 2:30 PM EDT

You're forgetting a few:

Androids/Robots/Cyborgs: Pelinal (in theory, though we know for sure that that's the authorial intent), Fabricants, Sotha Sil. And honestly, I'm not at sure why androids seem implausible but robots don't. It's the same principle at work, and they come from the same genre.

Time Travel: We know for a fact that Pelinal is "From the Future Time" and seems to have bounced around different periods. ESO's plot, from what I've heard, ends with the player being moved back in time, and it's strongly hinted that time travel plays a major role in the (hypothesized, but seemingly very likely) Soulburst Dragonbreak.

• 1217 posts
    June 10, 2014 2:39 PM EDT

Well even in Skyrim, Alduin arrives because he was sent through time. I don't see any reason to assume it only works one way.

• 9 posts
    June 10, 2014 2:39 PM EDT

Also, again, MK created the Thalmor. I have no idea if Bethesda is using all of his original ideas for them (though I'd be surprised if they weren't--from what I understand, he, Kurt Kuhlmann, and Lawrence Schick are all close friends), but suggesting that he "bases his theories off a whole lot of nothing" is flat-out wrong.

(Oh, and for what it's worth, this line has always seemed like a nod to the Altmeri Commentary on Talos. Make of it what you will, I suppose).

• 9 posts
    June 10, 2014 2:44 PM EDT

I personally feel like the politics and metaphysics are so closely intertwined that it's hard to have one without the other, but I totally get you. For what it's worth, I tend to focus more on the cultural implications of it than anything else; like what their religion and belief say about them as people, rather than just the beliefs in-and-of themselves. But yeah, it's all good.

• 285 posts
    June 10, 2014 3:52 PM EDT
    But in his current post Bethesda works, a lot of his stuff is pulled right out of the air with no basis in game. Here's the talk page about it on UESP: [edit]Thalmor goal According to MK: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride What appears to be an Altmeri commentary on Talos: To kill Man is to reach Heaven, from where we came before the Doom Drum's iniquity. When we accomplish this, we can escape the mockery and long shame of the Material Prison. To achieve this goal, we must: 1) Erase the Upstart Talos from the mythic. His presence fortifies the Wheel of the Convention, and binds our souls to this plane. 2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated. 3) With Talos and the Sons of Talos removed, the Dragon will become ours to unbind. The world of mortals will be over. The Dragon will uncoil his hold on the stagnancy of linear time and move as Free Serpent again, moving through the Aether without measure or burden, spilling time along the innumerable roads we once travelled. And with that we will regain the mantle of the imperishable spirit. Strundu'ul 14:48, 1 January 2012 (UTC) To bad he wrote that years before Skyrim was even in development and the article doesn't mention the Thalmor. — Unsigned comment by 65.128.162.174 (talk) at 08:04 on 20 January 2013 (GMT) Sorry, but it's not canon. None of this is backed up by anything in any elder scrolls game or publication, was not in any ingame book, was not in any spoken dialogue, no member of the Thalmor (who are usually pretty open about their goals) ever states this, no enemy of the Thalmor even ever states this, etc. The best you could offer in defense is a vague throwaway line from Esbern. Michael Kirkbride's stuff is interesting, but since Beth has no connection with it, and Kirk had nothing to do with Skyrim or any of the books, it is essentially little more than employee fanfiction. Well written and interesting fanfiction, but still fanfiction. Besides, if we took that as canon, we'd also have to take the stuff about the 9th era time travelers as canon too. Not to mention Hogithium Hall. And I'm sure we're all in agreement that it's not canon either.--Rylasasin (talk) 02:08, 5 March 2014 (GMT)
    • 285 posts
    June 10, 2014 3:53 PM EDT
    There's your answer on what Kirkbride's stuff is to most of the community.

People literally only call him credible is because he's an ex-Bethesda Dev and he still hangs out with them sometimes. He, in reality, has no basis in games, and let me tell you, there is one hell of a difference between a huge magical creature, who is the son of the god of time, to be launched forward in the future, and androids from the ninth era being every significant figure in Elder Scrolls history.
    • 285 posts
    June 10, 2014 4:01 PM EDT
    MK is literally the only person who says **** about androids and time travelers, there is no basis in any of the games!
  • June 10, 2014 4:39 PM EDT
    Wait, they wanted Alduin to eat the world?
  • June 10, 2014 4:48 PM EDT
    Db means Dragonborn or Dark Brotherhood?
    And I still don't understand.
  • June 10, 2014 4:56 PM EDT
    Or, Ulfric Stormcloak could just be Emperor. Nailed it.

Mede's child is probably either a panty waist, or a psycho with dreams domination of the Dominion. We know for sure that Ulfric isn't a panty waist.
    • 285 posts
    June 10, 2014 4:57 PM EDT
    No, this is MK's personal stuff, it never appeared in game.
    • 285 posts
    June 10, 2014 4:58 PM EDT
    But Ulfric, though seemingly rogue at the moment, is an Altmeri sleeper...
  • June 10, 2014 5:00 PM EDT
    Because he was tortured, that makes him a sleeper, or because he and the Dominion have a common enemy, he is a sleeper?
  • June 10, 2014 5:02 PM EDT
    But, he created the thalmor...In Skyrim, Talos was removed, men were removed due to infighting, and the dragon came.
    Seems spot on to me.
    • 1441 posts
    June 10, 2014 5:05 PM EDT
    Yes, but reMember, time travel exists, Alduin was sent forward iron time!