Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dragonborn becoming mute?

• 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:45 PM EDT
    no. i wanted to discuss the dragonborn possibly losing his/her voice with nothing interfering (gods, weather, nothing but their own voice)
  • June 25, 2013 8:48 PM EDT

then stay on topic...silly. 

Anyway, tiber septim got his throat slashed and basically became mute. 

• 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:49 PM EDT
    wait... now that i think about it... this comment makes no sense... so they will interfere when the dragonborn has a sore throat, but not when your character in oblivion becomes a daedric prince?

so either youre making this up, or as ive stated before the gods are dicks
    • 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:50 PM EDT
    he became mute forever... hes dead :p
  • June 25, 2013 8:51 PM EDT

nope. just the gods are drained, and they got to pick and choose what they do.

the gods aren't dicks. they just let free will happen. 

Dragonborn burning out is throat is free will cause he don't know when to stop. 

• 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:51 PM EDT
    can someone with the power to puge clean this discussion of religion?
    • 147 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:54 PM EDT

Its not really a sore throat, why would you treat it like that? If the dragonborn can't shout, he's not really a dragonborn anymore, if I was akatosh, I would obviously fix this for the fact that he can not fulfill his destiny if he could not shout. If you become a daedric prince in oblivion, thats not necessarily their choice, thats the daedra's choice. If the daedra allow someone to become a daedric prince, the gods can't do shit about that.

• 1913 posts
    June 25, 2013 8:58 PM EDT
    i was being sarcastic... i know being mute is way different
    • 140 posts
    June 25, 2013 9:17 PM EDT

Bryn, it is reasonable to assume that using the thu'um would leave the Dragonborn weak, but the way of the Voice, or shouting is a form of magic.  I assume that a novice user of the Voice would experience more physical side effects, but the more experience one gains, then hopefully those side effects would disappear.  Additionally, master users of the Thu'um are rumored to be able to whisper because their voice is so concentrated with power (and I think this has already been mentioned).  

As with any magic user, they need time to regenerate their ability to use magic.  I think a follower of the Way of the Voice would also need recovery time, too.

I suppose someone could become mute if they over-extend themselves...knowing some of the methods but not completely experienced in the study.  It might be similar to those who attempt to read Elder Scrolls and are struck blind immediately...they have enough knowledge to begin to read, but not enough to prevent the after effects of a glimpse into time itself.  "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing..." and I emphasize the little.

• 116 posts
    June 26, 2013 12:44 AM EDT

Am I the only one who doesn't believe that "Shouts" actually use the throat at all?  It seems to me that since they are a branch of magic may not actually use his larynx at all.  I would assume that shouts are channeled through his voice/throat but that they can't actually "jack up" his voice.

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 12:53 AM EDT

I agree Thirty Seven, I find the thu'um to be alot more magical and spiritual, than physical.

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 12:53 AM EDT

don't people go blind from reading elder scrolls because gods take their sight as a price?

• 1913 posts
    June 26, 2013 1:14 AM EDT
    well i guess we view things differently. lets agree to disagree :P
    • 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 10:43 AM EDT

Bryn, I  looked on both the wiki, and uesp, it says the dragonborn has the power to focus his vital essence into shouting, so it doesn't really have anything to do with shouting physically.

• June 26, 2013 10:48 AM EDT

Nords believe their vital essence is their breath. When they use the Thu'um they speak in the dragon tongue, a physical action. Its the magic in those words that makes dragon fire.  

• 1913 posts
    June 26, 2013 10:58 AM EDT
    they have to physically speak the words, its the magic properties of the words that cause the effects
    • 1913 posts
    June 26, 2013 10:59 AM EDT
    oh, you beat me to it shor
  • June 26, 2013 11:04 AM EDT

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:06 AM EDT

Exactly think about it this way. For a regular person, it might just be like shouting at someone, but if you the ability of the thu'um it'll turn that shout in fire breathe or unrelenting force depending on the words you say. So when you shout maybe you're not shouting that loud, its just the magic from the words amplifying it like that. So maybe he doesn't actually have fire or frost coming out of his throat, but just a regular shout, and when the words or word is spoken, it transform into that, so it probably starts at the end of the mouth or your tonsils instead of your vocal chords, so you most likely wouldn't go mute in my opinion. 

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:07 AM EDT

Unless when you shout you like REALLY shout to the point where you're rippping your vocal chords, which is not necessary. 

• 1483 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:10 AM EDT

Agreed, that also explains shouts like Throw Voice 

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:14 AM EDT

I mean think about it, the dragonborn could just be speaking, even whispering these words, he doesn't have to shout.

• June 26, 2013 11:16 AM EDT

I think that the power inherent in the specific shouts is what forces the volume. fus is loud while laas is soft. Look at what the shouts do. 

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:18 AM EDT

Thats what I said shor.

• June 26, 2013 11:20 AM EDT

That's what I said earlier. 

get on my level!