Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dragonborn becoming mute?

• 147 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:21 AM EDT

then it wouldn't affect his vocal chords in your and my opinion.

• 32 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:21 AM EDT

Yeah even the best death metal vocalists (who were born to do it) have to get throat surgery and go through huge recovery periods. it would totally make sense to RP like that.

• 1913 posts
    June 26, 2013 11:45 AM EDT
    it is still physically shouting. with no vocal surgery or real rest, he will not be fine
  • June 26, 2013 11:53 AM EDT

what Brynjolf done had said. 

• 271 posts
    June 26, 2013 2:30 PM EDT
    Well, if you read what Bryn said in this discussion again...
    • 147 posts
    June 27, 2013 12:39 AM EDT

Not really bryn, he doesn't have to shout, explain things like throw voice, if he was shouting it wouldn't be very stealthy now would it?

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 1:07 AM EDT
    there are 2 shouts out of all the others that the character DOES shout... yup, you proved me wrong (SEVERE sarcasm in the last sentance)
    • 490 posts
    June 27, 2013 1:11 AM EDT

I feel the "cooldown meter" is not something that an actual real-life dragonborn would worry about lol. It is just what the game developers placed into the game mechanics to limit people Fus Ro Dah'ing everything. Every try a 100% shout cooldown reduction build? It is ridiculous.

The idea behind shouts is not shouting, it is The Way of the Voice, meaning the dragonborn is not straining him/herself by using the dragon language to cause effects.

• 147 posts
    June 27, 2013 1:43 AM EDT

thank you Henson.

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 1:49 AM EDT
    well i have to find some sense of realism in skyrim, so i choose to believe it could cause the dragonborn to go mute :)
    • 490 posts
    June 27, 2013 1:52 AM EDT

Mute? Really? "The Way of the Voice"? As in, the mastery of an ancient vocal art? Yeah, sure, that is realistic...

Seriously though, if you really wanted to stretch it, you might argue a sore throat the next day, but maybe after fighting/shouting non-stop for awhile.

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 2:02 AM EDT
    i dont mean that shouting once every day will make you mute, it depends on the cooldown meter (yes, i know it is simply a limiter, but that breaks immersion for me) and the strength of the shout
    • 490 posts
    June 27, 2013 2:04 AM EDT

You really want to be able to just run around shouting non-stop? Lol.

Strength of the shout? In terms of effect, sure some shouts are seemingly "more powerful" than others in some contexts, but in the actual execution of each shout I would imagine they take the same amount of effort to perform, just using specific words would produce a different effect.

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 2:11 AM EDT
    well i imagine after discovering this power, some would keep using it for hours.

what i mean with "strength of the shout" is which one would feel more tiring. storm call would take more out of you than throw voice...
    • 41 posts
    June 27, 2013 8:58 AM EDT

Most of the Greybeards don't talk other than a few words, maybe this is why.

• 365 posts
    June 27, 2013 9:11 AM EDT

You DO know the real reason don't you...?

• 19 posts
    June 27, 2013 9:31 AM EDT

Have to agree here as the silent casting perk makes shouts "silent".  Also the "shout" Aura Whisper

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 10:01 AM EDT
    i have to take a perk far into a skill tree i may not even use, just to not injure myself? that is stupid
  • June 27, 2013 10:14 AM EDT
    No, you don't...
    • 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 10:21 AM EDT
    to be honest, this discussion is repeating itself so much that i dont even understand anymore... my brain (or whatever was left of it) is broken...
  • June 27, 2013 11:26 AM EDT

Very interasting. I like the idea and if anything the Dragonborn may lose the ability to speak like the Greybeards and can not speak at all. Or lose control of the Voice and it goes crazy.

If he did lose it he would have to go back to his original fighting style and postable life style.

• 147 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:37 AM EDT

But how would it it take more out of you? You don't have to shout the words just speak them, its the words that amplify the sound. And it can't be the power of the shouts for the fact what do you think is more powerful, shouting people off their feet or clearing the skies of rain, snow, or lightning (heck, I even usede it on solstheim and it looked a little better) and if your choice was clear skies, why is its cooldown so much shorter? Obviously its much more powerful just not as useful, realistically its really useful, but in game no. So if unrelenting force would take more out of you (longer cooldown), yet does less than clear skies, explain this.

• 1913 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:43 AM EDT
    because he shouts them... he whispers 2 of them... the rest he shouts... that is why.

i consider clear skies not powerful mainly cause it is meant to stop the rain or snow... Storm call makes you cause a severe thunderstorm that makes lightning strike everyone nearby, cyclone you create a tornado, unrelenting force makes people and objects many yards away... those would take a lot out of you in my mind.
    • 490 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:44 AM EDT

I disagree. I don't think that the physical act of shouting is what tires the dragonborn, just the developers putting in obvious longer wait durations for "more powerful" shouts.

• 856 posts
    June 27, 2013 11:45 AM EDT

Clear Skies is awesome.  It can stop a dragon's breath attack and stagger him.  It has a high enough recharge rate that you can interrupt a dragon every time it breathes...