Forums » Elder Scrolls

My upcoming Dragonborn Let's Play

• 708 posts
    December 12, 2012 8:19 PM EST

I might dual-spec into Fire as well then. Half the damn game seems to be resistant to frost in some capacity...

• 23 posts
    December 12, 2012 8:31 PM EST

Even taking into account the basically 15 percent health reduction of all enemies caused by disintegrate?

• 285 posts
    December 12, 2012 9:22 PM EST
    I'd recommend OH or TH, destruction, alteration, and heavy armor.
    • 23 posts
    December 12, 2012 9:43 PM EST

I tend to rely more on my illusion/conjuration magic in those situations (mutliple deathlords) but thanks for the response, The only element  I have little experience with is frost, for obvious reasons (dem frost resistance).

In vanilla game, fires extra damage pretty much = the 15% Disintegration health loss, to the point where an enemy with 1000hp only needs one more lighting spell cast against it to kill...

But are enemies faster then? better ai? or just higher hp harder hitting as expected? :)

• 708 posts
    December 12, 2012 9:46 PM EST

I'll see how high I get my destruction, it's still be useful as a finishing move. I'm planning on making my guy pretty shout-heavy, so I'll have access to fire and frost from there, plus my two-handed weapon.

• 708 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:00 PM EST

That reminds me, I need to give the Dawnguard Rune Hammer a try, it'll be super useful when fighting groups of undead

• December 12, 2012 10:08 PM EST
    You're in luck cuz you got more shouts also in the DLC witch I thought were 2 but I found 4 shouts although not all words for some. I really relied on shouts on my play through witch can save your life if overwhelmed so think about this.
    • 23 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:24 PM EST

I refused to use marked for death. The glitch associated with it ruins games :(

• 285 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:31 PM EST
    What glitch?
    • 708 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:35 PM EST

If I go with Amulet of Talos + Blessing of Talos + Elixir of the Healer = 60% shout cooldown without mucking around with crafting. That might help out a bit

• 285 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:36 PM EST
    Dragonborn was the first time my character has been on edge, Solstheim feels downright dangerous. Alo *super small spoiler?* it feels really ominous that every time you glace south, you see Red Mountain looming spewing ash.
    • 708 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:42 PM EST

@Spectre I think he's referring to how you can get enemies into negative armor ratings.

• 23 posts
    December 12, 2012 10:57 PM EST

@ spectre

Marked for death is a permenant effect. It persists even through respawning. If you clear a dungeon using marked for death, then the dungeon respawns, the respawned bandit/draugr/troll/etc will still be under the effect of mark for death. Turns what should be a good shout in a pinch if your stuck up against an early high level'd enemy, into a game breaker imho. Not so bad if you are not the type to go through an already cleared dungeon, but still.

• 291 posts
    December 12, 2012 11:05 PM EST

It can also break your followers in the same way if you use that on them.  They'll end up with like -1500 armor rating or something insane.

• 285 posts
    December 12, 2012 11:06 PM EST
    Huh, I never rerun a dungeon, so that's why I probably don't notice it. :P
    • 23 posts
    December 12, 2012 11:07 PM EST

well there is also that, but I like to rerun certain dungeons (mostly for combat experience / alchemy ingredients / ore nodes.

• 285 posts
    December 13, 2012 3:08 PM EST
    I think you should do commentary.
    • 708 posts
    December 13, 2012 4:47 PM EST

Of course, I did a commentary for my Dawnguard one though now that I have a new headset with a mic that you can actually understand I'll be able to do it alot more instead of trying to talk into my laptop while playing on my PC

• 708 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:50 PM EST

Brief update on this guy:

About level 20 now. Having an Amulet of Talos and Blessing of Talos is working out nicely; don't know enough shouts to really warrant buying a Fortify Restoration potion yet. I'm planning on getting him to somewhere between 30-40 - perk spread - and leave him until Dragonborn starts.

So far he seems really strong, not to mention fun to play! Shouts with a 10 second cooldown like Ethereal, Whirlwind and Unrelenting Force really add a new dimension to gameplay. Pretty much the combat staple move of this guy is Ethereal+Great Critical Charge - the attack that breaks ethereal doesn't consume any stamina. I'm going to do the Stormcloaks, Dawnguard, Companions and Main Quest, and try to learn as many Shouts as possible.

• 271 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:06 PM EST
    I have never done the Restoration potion exploit, and I thought you needed alchemy for that?

Is it possible with only enchanting? In that case how?

(This question seems familliar)
    • 271 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:07 PM EST
    ...or is it something I missed in that reply...
  • December 16, 2012 5:09 PM EST

You can buy a Potion of Restoration. It'll probably say Potion of the Healer or something like that.

• 271 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:10 PM EST
    Does it work then?
    • 708 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:19 PM EST

Does a healing potion you buy in a store heal you?

• 4 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:34 PM EST
    Sometimes and sometimes not :p (negative effects mix)