Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Aetherial Shield

• 856 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:00 PM EDT

On another post, Bryn had brought up the Aetherial Shield, claiming it was useless. I disagree, but I didn't want to hi-jack the other post. So I started this one.

The Aetherial Shield will, when bashing, turn an enemy ethereal. The enemy is unable to harm anyone, nor be harmed. The enemy will also flee. The effects last 15 seconds (this time from its description is incorrect - the actual time is about half). I believe the shield works on every type of enemy but dragons.

So how can this be useful to the player? Here is basically what I have so far:

1. When fighting multiple foes, you can reduce the number of enemies to a more manageable number. This works great on higher difficulties when facing numerous tough enemies.
    2. The shield is a useful tool, if playing a 'no kill' play-through.
    3. The shield is useful if you are very wounded and like to role-play. Pausing the game during combat to use potions, et. al., destroys immersion for me. However drinking some potions while combat is temporarily halted is logical and does not kill immersion.

Honestly, in most cases, I would prefer the Aetherial Crown, but the shield works for certain situations and characters. I haven't tried it, but I wonder if it works if you 'bash' an ally - if so, there's some added uses (such as having an ally avoid a trap).

So what do you guys think? Can you think of other ways the shield can be put to use?

Update: After this post and other conversations on the blog, I find the Aetherial Shield to be very powerful.

• 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:04 PM EDT

Shield has it's uses. Henson showed how it can be used offensively in his Forgotten. Sure, it does not support traditional bash+hack playstyle, but can be used in other ways. For example, bash with Disarming Bash and while enemy flees calmly collect his weapon leaving him unarmed...

• 739 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:10 PM EDT

Works as a weapon of mass destruction when paired with the Marked for Death shout.

It's a very odd looking piece of kit, need to be running a specific character to feel comfortable using it.

• 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:19 PM EDT
    So an enemy who regenerates and runs away and is hard to hit from a distance because he is running away... So useful :/
    • 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:22 PM EDT

I certainly don't remember any. Even against a troll you can put a Marked For Death on him and let him flee. He won't regenerate

• 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:25 PM EDT
    On my game, I used it to try as crowd control... They regenerated on my game... Not sure if glitch, or you just never noticed
    • 1595 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:26 PM EDT

If an enemy was under the effect of Miraak's Staff, would the bash effect interrupt the tentacle spell?

• 739 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:32 PM EDT

NPC's can only 'regenerate' the final 5% of their hitpoints I think, they usually drop into crawling mode while their health comes back enough to stand. That's about it though, not sure what Bryns wittering on about...

• 856 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:45 PM EDT

But you might use it against a troll when you are fighting two.  Each time he returns, bash him again - until the other one is dead. Who cares if they regenerate if they're not wounded in the first place.

Anytime you use it for crowd control, use it on the unwounded enemies. Attack the wounded ones - bash the unwounded.

• 856 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:49 PM EDT

The more ideas I see here, the more it makes me want to grab that shield on my next play-through. I only need to decide whether I will use some variation of Henson's build, or come up with something totally different. It would take a 'clever' character though, not some mindless hack and slash guy. I think I'll wait a bit and see what more people come up with here.

(Another idea: I can also see it working for a non-combatant thief in emergency situations) 

• 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 2:52 PM EDT

The shield looks hideous and massive though, not sure if any thief will ever carry it around with him 

• 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:02 PM EDT
    Because then fights are prolonged and I am aiding them... If I want effective crowd control I have cyclone, unrelenting force, frost breath with dragonborn perk...
    • 490 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:05 PM EDT

I added a lot of pomp and frills to my Forgotten build. If you break it down to an:

Aetherial Shield + Some sort of ranged attack, it is so much fun. You can even turn the Ebony Warrior ethereal and make him run LOL. As with my build, I suggest a crossbow because on their return trip, nothing is more satisfying then having that staggering bolt power.

• 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:07 PM EDT

Bryn, your argument is like "why use greatsword with sweep perk I have Fireball"... 

• 490 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:11 PM EDT

And after they get up and your thu'um is still recharging? DERP.

Aetherial shield has no charge limit, effects I think EVERYTHING, and is awesome. Your argument is invalid.

• 739 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:11 PM EDT

The ethereal effect only lasts a few seconds (not 15 as advertised), it really doesn't prolong battle at all.

I agree with your comment in some ways Bryn, but you do play on lower game difficulties. On higher difficulties battles can last alot longer anyway and the A Shield can help you curse that two handed bandit chief briefy while you kill his two cronies...

...when he returns you can take him down one on one.

Overall using that item gives you a nice fresh mechanic to use during the monotony of general close combat.

• 856 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:30 PM EDT

I'm really liking the ice effects with it too - letting all of the ideas sink in a bit. And I need to come up with some ideas for the ton's appearance with the shield.

• 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:36 PM EDT

Add a Visage of Mzund and you have a tank. You hide behind the shield never lower it, use the Breath of Nchuak to damage enemies and bash them if things get dangerous to heal 

• 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:42 PM EDT
    Either this disperses them enough where it is not a problem or they fall off a bridge or cliff or something and they die... Never has it been useless... And the best shout to use for crowd control is frost breath with the perk from dragonborn... It allows me to pelt enemies and have them be frozen.
    • 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:42 PM EDT
    It is still a valid argument...
    • 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:44 PM EDT

No it is not. I can argue that the shield is amazing for the character that doesn't use shouts. 

• 1483 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:49 PM EDT

Yes... Try to use it against Ash Spawn... 

• 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:50 PM EDT
    Ok... Ash spells, whirlwind cloak... As stupid as I think ash spells are, they are WAY better cc than the shield cause they don't run away... They will be in the same spot.
    • 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:51 PM EDT
    And if you say it is for character's who don't use spells either, this character is unrealistically boring and sucks...
    • 1913 posts
    October 26, 2013 3:52 PM EDT
    I have a simple plan for ash spawn... Move left and right... For some reason, they can't hit me no matter what... So no need for crowd control