Forums » Elder Scrolls

How did you first get into Elder Scrolls games?

• 6 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:04 AM EDT

I started with Morrowind right when around when it came out in 2002. At the time my PC wasn't up to snuff, so I ended up buying it and then having to wait 6 months before I got a new computer for Christmas O.o Of course, once I actually got to play it, I was hooked!

As for how I found it, I can't exactly remember, but I think I just happened to stumble upon it in the store. At that time I was still off to GameStop every other week looking for new releases, and it looked interesting. I remember opening the little flap on the front cover of the box and being amazed by the graphics.

• 132 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:09 AM EDT

I got in to TES quite late, I actually got morrowind after Oblivion had already been out for some time. I didn't spend very long on Morrowind as I got an Xbox360 and Oblivion a few months later, but I was struck by how epic it felt. My younger cousin had only good things to say about Oblivion, as well, so I was definitely hooked by then.

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:36 AM EDT

Honestly, I just picked it up back when I was 12 or so. Saw it on the shelf said "I want this it looks cool" so I picked it up. (when it was still rated T in the US.) What as funny was that the box said it was rated M but the CD itself had the T rating on it. So I picked it up, brought it home, and was instantly in love. As soon as I finished the main story like and while i continue to play, i was waiting for-ev-er until the next one was announced. lo and behold, it took then 5 years, but it is well worth the wait.

• 3 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:41 AM EDT

I first bought GOtY edition of Morowind in 2006 when Oblivion came out. My cousin bought Oblivion at the time and told me it was good, but he'd heard gamers claim Morowind was the greater TES game. As it only cost like 10 bucks or so, I bought it. Found it hard to play though, as the graphics was outdated, and I think it was a little too hardcore for my taste, at the time. So after a while, I got to play Oblivion, and was simply hooked!

I've tried replaying Morrowind by several occasions, but never really got the feel to the game. The story telling in Oblivion is fully voiced. I found the story hard to follow in Morrowind, and it was a bit too open at the beginning. Therefore I never really got to play Morrowind, only try it out. Too bad I didn't discover it earlier, seeing that it must be quite the good role playing game.

Eagerly awaiting Skyrim, and to see what it has to offer in a RPG kinda way.

• 5 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:47 AM EDT

I broke my hip a few years back, so I couldn't do much during that time. I was spending about 18 hours a day gaming, so I pretty much beat every game in the my inventory in a week, and I still had five weeks in a wheelchair. Then I started searching  in my brother's game collection and found a little game called Fallout 3. It was so long I couldn't finish it while I was out. After I finally beat it, I started looking more at games made by Bethesda since I enjoyed Fallout 3 so much. I was a bit timid in buying Oblivion, because I thought people would judge me, since I only played FPS and racing games. (Which look pretty crappy to me now.) But after I finally confessed my love for TES (and Bethesda in general) to my friends & family, they really loved the games. Now we're all pretty pumped for Skyrim, as I'm sure everyone here is too.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:00 AM EDT

When i was 12 my friend told me about oblivion. A few weeks late i had it and since then ive played morrowind and have been obsessed with TES ever since

• 7 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:02 AM EDT

Arena and Daggerfall are now freeware. I believe Bethesda even has a website for them. Arena, Daggerfall . You'll need a DOS emulator, though, to play them.

• 856 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:06 AM EDT

In the late 90's I went back to college.  I met a guy there and we became fast friends right away.  At some point our discussion went to rpg's (I was currently playing pen and paper, and I had been since 1978).  He told me, I've got to show you 'this computer game'.  He would often mention the game, but for various reasons, I didn't get around to seeing it for some time - a few years, in fact.  Eventually he showed it to me - it was 'Daggerfall', and I thought, 'I've got to get this game'.  When I finally went to the store to buy the game, I told them I was looking for 'Daggerfall' - none were in stock.  Fortunately the clerk was knowledgeable, and said "This is Morrowind, it just came out, it's made by the same company."  Of course, I bought it, and became an instant Elder Scroll fan.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:08 AM EDT

i got oblivion and played backwards till arena

• 856 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:12 AM EDT

New to the series, wonderful.  I think this site will be a great source for players to find tips.  Number one tip - save often .  Even if you play dead is dead, the game will probably have a few glitches, so save (quicksaves, and hard saves - use different slots). 

• 5 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:26 AM EDT

In 2008 I was bored on my 360 so I went to gamestop to buy a game. Nothing interested my taste ( My taste before RPG was FPS, Yuck, I hate myself for ever liking that ) So I asked the guy what kind of game I should try. He said oblivion, and it was 2008 so i bought the GOTY. When I got it my mom came in my room and noticed I was playing a game. She liked it. Elder Scrolls have been a bonding experience between both of us.

• Lav
    • 3 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:35 AM EDT

I don't exactly remember as it was over 14 years ago, when I was a Junior in High School. I started with either Daggerfall or Battlespire, it's foggy, and I think I just saw the box at Wal-mart. I had a pretty crappy Compaq (1997) but was able to play Daggerfall and I played it for years. I loved everything about it, enough of it was incredible that it was simple to overlook bugs and I usually had multiple back-up saves (just because back then, barely anything didn't crash.)

I played Battlespire a bit but it didn't have the open world like Daggerfall. I never completed either one of them though I likely put hundreds of hours into Daggerfall. To this day there is still nothing like it, they bit off more then they could chew when they made it but they learned their limitations which prepared them for more detail over quantity. When Morrowind came out it was amazing but different. Gone were random cities with random people. The trade off of fewer people were more detailed people and it was amazing. The exploration, the magic, the people, it was a blast. I did beat Morrowind, I had a House Telvanni mage and nothing was cooler than the stronghold you received and working through that questline of backstabbing mages.

I'm still playing Oblivion and have been since it was released. I have never completed the main quest, I couldn't bring myself to "end" it even though I know I could have kept playing, I like the feeling of having a constant cloud over the game, and a nemisis (Camoran) that keeps popping up. If I do the same thing in Skyrim, it will depend on a few things, mainly, what difference it makes on the world.

So short answer, been here since the beginning.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:37 AM EDT

I was browsing around Best Buy one day (I think this was late '04) and I saw a "Game of the Year Edition" for Morrowind for around 30 bucks.  I remembered reading a review of the game in PC Gamer and it getting good scores so I checked out the screenshots on the box.  I really liked the GTA series at the time as well as Baldur's Gate II so I thought it would be kind of a mix between the two.  I loaded up the game and was HOOKED.  I was only 17 at the time, so admittedly I ignored the lore for the most part and missed some of the finer details.  Even still it was probably in my top 3 of all time games (with deus ex 1 and baldur's gate II; tough to choose an order).  I loved Oblivion, although not to the degree I did Morrowind, and I truly believe Skyrim will combine the best of both of these incredible games.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:46 AM EDT

My younger brother borrowed Morrowind from a friend for th x box and he hated it. I decided to try it out because I was bored and got really into it. Everything kind of confused me a little so I bought the game manual. Still didn't help too much although I found some interesting stuff. The game started freezing before I finished the main quest but I mainly just explored around before that as well.

Oblivion came out and I bought it, or it came with my 360 I can't remember, and it was much easier to play and follow the stroy line. Also combat was much improved which mad eit easier to play for me. I completed Oblivion in it's entirety multiple times. Still one of my favorite games just wish it had more diversity via landscape and culture. However I would have to say the thing that really set me on fire for TES series was The Shivering Isles. That got me interested in the history and lore. It was kind of like the aleiness of Morrowind and the game mechanics of Oblivion with a great storyline.

Now Skyrim is coming out. I've actually researched the all the lore, combat is improved, npc's are improved, landscape and weather is amazing, and the is more depth and immersion in the world and storylines it seems. Can't wait this will probably be one of the if the best game I've ever played to date.

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:47 AM EDT
    I got into TES through my brother. My brother started with Morrowind but I remember coming home from college and watching him play oblivion. I asked if I could start a character and he provided some guidance and answered questions during my first play through. I was hooked.
    • 28 posts
    October 28, 2011 10:51 AM EDT

I remember renting Morrowind for the Xbox and playing it for the week I had it. For what ever reason the game didn't seem to jive with me. Then I remember walking through the mall one day and little did I know that it was the day Oblivion was released! I've read some things about it and all the posters they had up at EB sold me! I picked up the game and haven't looked back. I still haven't completed anything past the first couple quests in the main story, but I've done almost everything else! I'm currently working on finishing up the thieves guild and one last achievement in the Shivering isles! I can't express my excitement for Skyrim!

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:07 AM EDT

a very good friend of mine was going crazy about the release of oblivion, and he recommended it to me, ha more like forced it upon me and my friends  we were hooked. we were calling each other non stop to talk about how awesome the game was. sadly, the very friend that recommended the game to me never finished oblivion and doesnt even game anymore  but im thankful that he got me into TES

• 80 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:08 AM EDT

I was a deckhand on a three-masted square topsail schooner (no really I was!)  We sailed out of Long Beach California, taking school groups out to the Channel Islands, where we taught them to sail and also taught them marine biology, took them snorkeling and several other fun activities.  Best job I've ever had, but it literally paid nothing.  I worked for room and board and the pleasure of it.

So we had this one little room in the crew's section that we referred to as the "Wardroom."  Not exactly the traditional image of a wardroom, ours contained a TV and an X-Box, and it was where we would go to chill out, watch movies, and get away from the kids.  I, being a deckhand, was working a rotating watch schedule with the other deckhands, and I had time to myself in the afternoons.  So after I got tired of reading whatever fiction was on the shelves, I started flicking through the games, and I found Oblivion.

I quickly got addicted and spent every spare moment playing.  We had weekends off and the rest of the crew would take a field trip together to go diving with whale sharks or camping in Joshua Tree or some such.  I, and my spouse, would hang out on the boat (someone had to watch the boat anyway) and we would go questing.

One of my favorite moments was when the Bloated Float put to sea.  I think I paused the game, ran up on deck and told my spouse, "We just put to sea!" to which the reply was, "That's... great?  Are you only now noticing?"

At the end of the field season, the owner of the X-Box left and took his console with him.  We knew this was coming, so we quickly finished off the main quest.  Imagine our surprise to learn that after we have helped Martin save the Empire, we are free to just continue, living our lives!  I think we enjoyed it even more after that.  We played for another two days before the X-Box, and the characters we had each developed, went bye-bye.  The next day, we were totally at loose ends.  We felt like our child had died.

It was after that I managed to pick up a used copy of Morrowind for PC, and after we settled into an apartment, we bought an X-box specifically so we could play Elder Scrolls.

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:10 AM EDT

My buddies had morrowind on the xbox and i was hooked since. i think it was the depth and the freedom..... i mean for once i had myself a game tht just said heres the world have fun, no linear bull story to hamper my fun

• 5 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:11 AM EDT

A few years back, while shopping around for a new game at an EB in the mall, I found a game with a cool looking cover called Morrowind: GotY Edition (At the time, the GotY thing was lost on me, as was what an expansion pack was) for my XBox. I got it and played it for hours, but looking back I was playing Morrowind, NOT the third game in the Elder Scrolls series. Later, after a friend convinced me to get a Steam account for a free copy of Portal, Oblivion and Morrowind GotY editions came on sale for an XMas deal, and having enjoyed Morrowind so much and hearing good things about Oblivion, I bought the pack of them and have logged about 125 hours into Oblivion. But to say when I got into THE ELDER SCROLLS specifically would actually be with Skyrim, the game that I think has turned me from a kid who plays games in his spare time to more of a true gamer, and the first TES game that I'm viewing as a TES game instead of some stand alone RPG.

• 4 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:12 AM EDT

I had played d&d planescape torment many years ago. I was looking into purchasing baldur's gate, but was recommended morrowind instead. thought it was a good buy. had it for a week before i had to sell my xbox to get my car outta repo. 6 yrs later i bought oblivion. looking up a walkthrough i was directed to a skyrim trailer. ive been been freaking out ever since.

• Jay
    • 12 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:15 AM EDT

I picked up Morrowind with no anticipation - I think I looked at the back of the box and thought it looked neat.

So, I brought it home, created a character and started to play, and I was amazed by the water effects.  I died a lot.  I never beat the game, but it was buggy and slow on my computer and I got frustrated with it.  I wasn't very good with computers at the time, so I didn't know how to 'fix' my experience. 

I was the only one of my friends that would play it.  Everyone else was playing Ultima Online and reveling in their social acuity, while I wandered a giant virtual world all alone.  But it was first-person and I could get lost in it, which I loved.

I saw that Oblivion was coming out and my anticipation for it was through the roof.  "Look at that bloom effect! Whoa."  That effect looks kind of silly now, but at the time it was pretty neat.  The graphics were amazing for its time, and my Geforce 3 could barely play the game.  I had to turn almost everything off, including the grass, and it still ran pretty poor.  I played the game so much that I think I went through two computer upgrades. 

I know I have at least 200 hours into it, not counting the 30 I put into it over the last couple of weeks (my computer is now a beastly thing that eats games for breakfast).  And now Skyrim is less than 2 weeks away!  I know that I'll never load up Oblivion again once Skyrim is released (I haven't touched Morrowind in nearly a decade), so I guess I'm just going through and refreshing my knowledge of the world in anticipation. 

• 1 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:15 AM EDT

My friend told me about Oblivion when I was at his house one day like a year ago or something so I asked if I could borrow it. Sense then, I been playing it a lot, then I heard of Skyrim. Can't wait for it.

• 2 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:17 AM EDT

When i first got a Ps3 a few years ago, I was looking for a game that was worth the money. I just started college and I didn't have much money so i needed a game that was worth $65.So i did some investigating through IGN and I came upon Oblivion. When I went to purchase it, the fat ugly salesman from the electronics section of Walmart told me "Are you sure you want that,thats an RPG"! I ignored him and made my purchase.I started playing and once I was able to get into the open world of Cyrodiil I was Amazed. It was unlike anything i have ever played before.

• 3 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:22 AM EDT
    Well for me it started when I played oblivion for the first time back around the time of release, though it was at a friends house, because I didn't have a 360 yet. I loved the game so much that I BEGGED him to let me borrow it along with his spare 360. He ultimately refused, his parents wouldn't have it. Instead he suggested I take Morrowind home with me, and that it should hold me over until I got my own 360.

I took Morrowind home and proceeded on what would become the 900 hour adventure of Ra'Zhir, my Khajit Battlemage.

Very fond memories indeed. ^_^