Forums » Elder Scrolls

Reachman: Good or bad?

• 700 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:22 PM EDT

Yeah, they have a lot of parallels.  I think it's a shame they weren't represented a lot better in game.  I think Madanach is the only Forsworn the player can actually enter dialogue with.  The game sells them as differently skinned bandits.  

• 29 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:22 PM EDT
    The Dunmer worship Azura - does that make them evil? The Thieve's Guild have affiliations with Nocturne - same question?

Some people do Evil Things, but you can't tar a complete section of society with the same brush simply because they have a shared heritage.

Granted some Forsworn (therefore Reachmen) are evil, but some also have assimilated into Skyrim society, and some opt out altogether.

The worship of a deity does not determine a person's alignmentm
  • August 30, 2015 2:23 PM EDT
    Alright, I was trying to get you to see my side of things, but that's not working. So lets agree to disagree.
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:23 PM EDT

Again, I have no sympathy for them since that was their decision.

• August 30, 2015 2:25 PM EDT
    ^That exactly. But the Forsworn are Reachman survivors of the Markarth Incident, but they're not an accurate representation of Reachmen culture as a whole.
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:28 PM EDT

Reachmen are not and never were evil

• August 30, 2015 2:42 PM EDT
    Yeah, I agree with that. But what's your reason behind your opinion?
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:53 PM EDT

Reachmen are an entire race, Forsworn are just a fraction of that. The Reachmen who still live in Markarth stay in the Warrens which is a slum. The Forsworn fight beacuse they had their land taken, their family and friends killed, their religion and culture banned and their king enslaved and forced to do the bidding of the Nords. Also worshipping daedra doesn't make you evil, if it did then Dunmer, Khajiit, Orcs, Nightingales and even the Septims would all be evil.

• 29 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:02 PM EDT
    Agreed, also it's ironic to see how the pro Ulfric Nords are finding themselves in a similar situation they imposed on the Reachmen previously.

Love the questions raised about the differences between terrorism and freedom fighters.
  • August 30, 2015 3:05 PM EDT
    Holy crap that's exactly what I was thinking. It's a shame that they show little facial differences between Bretons and Reachman, because from what I've seen, only named Reachman look different, like Madanach and the other Cidna Mine prisoners being tan with either dark red, brown, or black hair. I hope TES 6 gives us Reachman as a race.
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:07 PM EDT

Worshipping the prince of rape or prince of destruction does make you evil, in fact. And since when are thieves not considered evil when they steal from good, hard working people?

• August 30, 2015 3:07 PM EDT
    Yeah, it is pretty ironic. But the Forsworn being freedom fighters I don't agree with. They do want Reachman freedom, yes, but they also want revenge that will only end with Ulfrics head on a pike.
  • August 30, 2015 3:15 PM EDT
    Christians see Satanists as evil people, when they see Satan as the one who made humanity great by tricking Adam and Eve.(No im not a Satanist) Its just a different view on a diety, see where I'm coming from? And maybe they think of Molag Bal, the prince of Rape, as a more primal god, with males dominating females. And Mehrunes Dagon, and Destruction, well nothing last forever, so maybe they think Mehrunes Dagon is the god of change and weathering, showing that nothing lasts forever. Just because you see something one way doesn't mean they see it the same way.
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:19 PM EDT

Don't bring real religion into this, that's a disgusting comparison.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:22 PM EDT

Not sure if they´re evil, but they are allied with Hagravens... and do you know how Hagravens are created? Ugh. They might not be good or bad, but cutting them down is better option than be an allies.

• August 30, 2015 3:23 PM EDT
    How? Satanists believe God kept Humanity from being smart and great, and wanted to keep them ignorant. They believe without Satan tricking Adam and Eve we would have never known what the world is really like.(Again, I don't share these beliefs. I'm actually atheist, in fact.) How is it much different from other races thinking their evil, when they could in fact see these Daedra in a completely different way.
    • 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:26 PM EDT

If you bring religion into this again, I'm contacting an admin. Quit using the Christian and satanist comparison, that has nothing to do with savages worshipping a daedra known for rape.

• August 30, 2015 3:28 PM EDT
    Hagravens were only looked up to once Red Eagle was desperate enough to ally his people with them forever. Hagravens are evil, but that doesn't mean Reachman are evil. And, in a battle, Reachman would be a valuable asset, with their primitive, but effective, gear and tactics.
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:29 PM EDT

I don't see a problem with his line of thinking, he's using a comparison and he's not far wrong. Different cultures in the ES universe see deities in different ways.

• 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:32 PM EDT

Hagravens aren't anymore evil than werewolves.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:33 PM EDT

Shaun, i know you've more sense than that man. When is it ever appropriate to compare real life religion to a video game's?

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:34 PM EDT

True Shaun.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:34 PM EDT

That´s debatable too. I mean...replacing human hearts with some...voodoo stuff and leaving holes in their chests? That´s morally excusable, sure.

• August 30, 2015 3:35 PM EDT
    Really, your going to try to get me in trouble? I'm just trying to make a comparison, which is a pretty damn good one in my opinion. If your going to try to use Religion as a way of power, than you aren't very respectful to it.
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:38 PM EDT

I do it all the time with the very real inspiration Dunmer culture has taken Hindu and Semetic religion. How can we talk about fake religion at all if we can't put it in context?