Forums » Elder Scrolls

Reachman: Good or bad?

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:39 PM EDT

If I have to, it'd be the comment getting deleted, not you being given a warning. I just find it disgusting that you think your comparison is a "pretty damn good one" when you're comparing religion IRL to a video games.

It's also a violation of the Vault's rules.

• 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:40 PM EDT

Worked for Lorkhan, which is who I presume the ritual is modelled after. Also that's how Briarhearts are made not Hagravens and they volunteer.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:45 PM EDT

You don't have to put it in context by making comparisons.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

Yeah, I was talking about Briarheats, not Hagravens. Even if they volunteer, it´s not right. What Forsworn do is pretty much against nature.

• 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:52 PM EDT

And yet the game it'self does it. There is a reason Molag Bal has "Bal" in his name and Vivec looks similar to Sheeva. I may be new to being a forum host but I see no problem with Aaron's comment, if the other hosts disagree then so be it but right now the comment stays.

• 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:53 PM EDT

What is defined as against nature?

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:01 PM EDT

Briarhearts. Replacing heart with something else is necromancy, right? There is said that Briarhearts will lose their will and humanity. If I´ll use my own opinion or any of my characters, I value free will as the most important thing. Humanity is...debatable, but losing free will...that´s just wrong.

I´m sorry if I sound too much biased here, I just really can´t emphatize with savages following half-witches half-crows using dark rituals.

• 1441 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:11 PM EDT
    Robin Hood...
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:12 PM EDT

Yeah but it's nature that makes it possible in the first place. Soul gems and the Dragonborn are essentially necromancy as well. Again those guys choose to do it of their own free wil.

• August 30, 2015 4:19 PM EDT
    They have free will. They just feel no pain or mercy. Remember Red Eagle, how he did that and fought as a Briarheart, for the love of an freedom his people? He killed all the soldiers without mercy and felt none of the wounds. That pretty much applies to all Briarhearts.
    • 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:21 PM EDT

Alright, my main issue is probably this. I pity them. Nords take their land, they decide to fight a guerilla war. That´s fine with me. But somewhere along the way, they decided to trow away their humanity. Of their own free will! Is there something more saddening then giving up your free will of your free will? If - big IF - they´ll drove the Nords away, how do you think would their society look in time of peace?

They decided to throw away everything that made them human to make Nords pay. If they had ever succeeded in that...well, it´s hard to say what would happen after that.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:25 PM EDT

"Thus was brokered to the witch: his heart, his will, his humanity. From that day forth, his was a spirit of vengeance, pitiless and beyond remorse.The rebels grew in strength and numbers, and none could stand against them. Faolan's eyes burned coldly in those days, black opals reflecting a mind not entirely his own. Two years passed, and the foreigners were all but driven from the Reach."

Legend of Red Eagle

• August 30, 2015 4:46 PM EDT
    Ah. Sorry, I guess some of my lore knowledge is wrong.
    • 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:52 PM EDT

I still don't see a few warriors electing to become undead because of their religion as evil.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 4:57 PM EDT

I never said evil. What I´m trying to say is...they´re wrong.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:11 PM EDT

No worries. There´s so much lore you can´t remember everything. I certainly don´t. It just happened that this line stayed in my mind when I was reading that book. When the came out I was huge fan of Forsworn and roleplayed as one of them, but my recent characters changed my views.

• 641 posts
    August 30, 2015 5:24 PM EDT

Well it's all a matter of culture and perspectives

• August 30, 2015 5:39 PM EDT
    Ah. One time I made a Reachman character that was Red Eagle reincarnated(not the character Build already on here) that used Savior's Hide, Red Eagles fury enchant on Ebony Greatsword, Helm of Ygnol, and Boots and Gauntlents of the Old Gods. He was a vampire Lord that disliked Forsworn, because they were letting their rage consume them, and he didn't want them to have a similar fate to him. He used guerilla tactics ALOT. I have to say, it was one of my favorite playthroughs.
    • 168 posts
    August 30, 2015 6:06 PM EDT

The Reachmen worship Hagravens and Daedra, so what? The Bosmers are cannibals, the Dunmers and Orsimers worship Daedric Princes and the Khajiits eat moon sugar to commune with their gods. Are these people evil because of that? As for the Forsworn labeled as terrorists, this is very funny. The Nords are pissed off because the Thalmor established an embassy in their lands and are forbidding them to worship Talos and now they are fighting against the Empire for religious freedom. This is super ironic because the Nords did EXACTLY THE SAME THING to the Reachmen centuries ago. If you ask Madanach about the Forsworn he will say "This was our land. We were here first. Then the Nords came and put chains on us. Forbid us from worshipping our gods. Some of us refused to bow. We knew the old ways would lead us back to having a kingdom of our own. That is who we are. The Forsworn. Criminals in our own lands. And we will cut a bloody hole into the Reach until we are free.". So I don't see them as terrorists because they are right to fight for their lands and religious freedom, just like the Nords are doing with the civil war.

• August 30, 2015 6:13 PM EDT
    Hm. Good point. I wish you could choose to give the Reach to Imperials, Stormcloaks, or Reachman.
  • August 30, 2015 6:23 PM EDT

I don't think this is a question that can be answered with a simple 'Yes' or 'No'. You cannot reduce an entire culture and all its people to a single statement, nor can you measure their actions and come to some kind of mathematical proof that they were a net positive or negative for civilization.

My personal view is that the source of most of the conflict in the Elder Scrolls either comes from a lust for power, or from a need for revenge from past injustice. The former is something more obvious that can be dealt with, the latter is messy and there's often no right answer on how to proceed. You can't exactly ask a culture to move past a legacy of murder and cruelty, but you also can't justify the crimes they commit in the name of vengeance.

So, I suppose my stance is that no one is right, all parties are at fault, and the pain and suffering that comes from the conflict between Nords and Reachmen is an avalanche that cannot be stopped until it has run its course. It's not fair, it's not just, but outside of genocide it's inevitable.

• August 30, 2015 6:33 PM EDT
    I don't see how attacking random travelers is fighting for their lands or religious freedom.
  • August 30, 2015 6:45 PM EDT
    VERY good point. But shit man, that sounded philosophical as fuck! XD
    • 700 posts
    August 30, 2015 7:00 PM EDT

/thread.

• 41 posts
    August 30, 2015 10:01 PM EDT

Bunch of savages who go around pretending to be poor victims but are always mumbling about painting the streets of Markarth with the blood of the nords. They also are known for attacking innocent travalers on the roads.

AND, as if it wasn't enough, they are also terribly boring to fight, on a gameplay perspective. I don't know if it's just me but from my experience Forsworn are the most coward enemies in the game. Sometimes they will "give up" and start to run away before I even lay a hit on 'em. More than once I had to chase down an entire camp of those annoying savages  

Short story: I don't like them, neither do I feel sympathy for their cause.