Forums » Elder Scrolls

Introducing TheSkyrimBlog Supporters!

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 11:34 AM EDT

Hello all, Emer here! 

As the community here continues to grow, we (the Admin Team) are constantly looking for new and interesting features that we could add to our Blog. One such feature that we’ve come across on multiple sites is “premium membership,” which is essentially a paid extra that you can pay for on a monthly or yearly basis, and it has perks to those who choose to upgrade their account. We thought that this could be extremely beneficial to the blog for a number of reasons, the main two being that we would no longer need to have a yearly fundraiser for the Blog and we would have a group of members to help us make decisions here! 

To start, we’re going to have quite a few features for Premium Members, but the list is not final. More could be added in the future, and some features may not make the cut in the long run (though that’s up to the members to decide). As of now, here are the features and perks for those who choose to upgrade their membership:

1. TheSkyrimBlog Supporters Group: All Premium Members will be given access to this exclusive group. In here you will be able to help us (the Admin Team) make important decisions about the site (including but not limited to new site layouts, new site themes, new color schemes, new profile page layouts, new groups, and so on). Every suggestion here will be discussed and reviewed by the Admin Team, and every idea is guaranteed to be replied to! This is the biggest of all of the perks, as you will be helping better the Blog!
    2. Custom “Profile” Group: All Premium Members will be given the option to have their own group to do with as they please (as long as it’s appropriate for the site, of course)! You will be able to decide what type of content you want here, and you can share anything here that you would like (your favorite YouTube videos, your favorite content from the blog, anything you’d like that is appropriate for the site). This group will be on the Blog for as long as your Premium Membership lasts (and will remain here even when the eventual upgrade to Ning 3.0 happens [again], assuming you retain membership). 
    3. A Custom Badge: All Premium Members will be given a special badge marking their Premium Membership. 

As I said earlier, this list is not final! Some of these benefits may not be around for long if they aren’t popular, and others may be added in if the membership agrees on it! The list will be changing, and we’ll update everyone when new features are released. Now, on to the details of Premium Membership:

• Premium Membership will cost a mere $5 USD per month, and can be purchased at a discounted $50 USD for a full year (if you’d like, you can always “gift” someone this membership!).
    • There are be 30 available Premium Member positions available, with more becoming available in the future. 
    • To become a Premium Member, you can do one of the following:
      • Create a recurring payment to the Blog over PayPal ($5 per month if you do not plan on going for the full year at once).
      • Or donate $50 to the Blog’s PayPal account all at once. This guarantees you one full year of Premium Membership (unless you manage to get yourself banned from the site). 

All donations and proceeds from Premium Members will be used to better the Blog and to ensure that the Blog always has a home here on the web. If you’re interested in becoming a Premium Member, or if you have any questions about it, then send me a message with the subject “TheSkyrimBlog Supporters!” I’d be more than happy to assist you! 

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you all have a wonderful day! 

• 1595 posts
    September 1, 2014 11:58 AM EDT

Oh yes!

All Premium Members will be given the option to have their own group to do with as they please.

My own plane of Oblivion where even non-canon content can be accepted? Where do I sign up?

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:02 PM EDT

You can thank Ben C for selling me on that idea 

If you are interested in joining the Supporters group, you need only follow one of the steps listed above! Upon completion, you will be invited to the group! 

• 485 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:07 PM EDT

Im definitely behind the idea. Not 100% sure about giving 30 members free license to create whatever group they want. Other than that the idea sounds great. 

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:15 PM EDT

It still has to be appropriate for the site, but other than that it's all theirs. Remember, these groups will not show up on the site's sidebar, only the "main" groups will. 

• 1595 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:16 PM EDT

Creating it is one thing, getting others to join is another...

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:20 PM EDT

Would people have to click the GROUPS tab to see a created group?

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:20 PM EDT

Right. You can choose to have only a few people in the group, or you could have it open to anyone. 

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 12:22 PM EDT

Yes, plus it would show up in the activity feed (assuming the creator wants it to). 

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2014 1:14 PM EDT

Hmm, I hope someone makes a Fallout group

• 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 2:11 PM EDT

If people are Supporters, they can bring the idea of an official Fallout group to the table!

• 585 posts
    September 1, 2014 3:14 PM EDT
    Would it be possible to co-own/ share a group?, if a common interest is shared. If this is possible, would the two or more people only need to pay part of the price, or the full price each?
    • 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 3:16 PM EDT

For someone to be in charge of a group, they need to be a Supporter. 

• 585 posts
    September 1, 2014 3:21 PM EDT
    Thanks, so can non-supporters be appointed admin status in group as usual, or only Supporters.
    • 557 posts
    September 1, 2014 3:34 PM EDT

They can be appointed to Admin status, but it is still only the group's creator who is in charge. 

• 585 posts
    September 1, 2014 3:48 PM EDT
    Thanks for the info :)
  • September 1, 2014 4:46 PM EDT

That plane of Oblivion group idea is epic

• 51 posts
    September 2, 2014 9:54 AM EDT

I think a premium membership option is a good idea, but what about people who did take part in the fundraiser?  Do we have to contribute separately for this?  I don't mind donating further, although I'd hate to lose out on a membership because I had money then and not now.

• 249 posts
    September 2, 2014 10:28 AM EDT
    That's what I was thinking. Some people have probably donated the full amount of the annual membership if not more for the site. It would suck if they didn't automatically get it.
    • 557 posts
    September 2, 2014 10:35 AM EDT

For those who donated $5 USD or more, you will be given the appropriate amount of the Premium Membership. If you donated the yearly amount, you'll be given the yearly amount! All you need to do is verify your email (the one used to donate) and you're good to go!

• 249 posts
    September 2, 2014 10:43 AM EDT
    Awesome guys! Can't wait to see what these new groups are gonna be :)
    • 108 posts
    September 2, 2014 11:20 AM EDT

Neat idea.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2014 11:56 AM EDT

What's the process for verifying the email? Is that something you do, Ning does, or Paypal does?

• 557 posts
    September 2, 2014 12:08 PM EDT

It's something I would do. You send me the email address you used, and I compare it to the received donations.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2014 6:13 PM EDT

Would there be a place for a list of possible suggestions for member groups? I haven't given it a lot of thought yet, but if there's a particular kind of group a lot of members would like to see that also appeals to me (or other Supporters), that could be a handy way to make it happen. Sort of like the ideas already floating around for a Fallout or Mass Effect group.