Forums » Elder Scrolls

Ulfric and Tullius.

• 11 posts
    January 24, 2014 12:00 PM EST

I sort of wonder what sort of "help" Ulfric expects from the Dunmer.  He doesn't seemingly conscript the unwilling to actually fight on the front lines (probably more because it would be a PR disaster and drive a lot of fence-sitters to the Imperial side than any other reason), so their not volunteering to put on Stormcloak blues and fight the Legion makes them no different from any number of Nord non-combatants in the city.

They live in the city, pay their taxes, contribute to the economy.  That helps him, if only indirectly.  There are probably at least some who would be willing to help the war effort in a more direct but still non-combat way such as working as healers, smiths, enchanters, builders, etc. if they were offered fair pay and better living conditions and general treatment for their people.

But no.  They're Dunmer, so they either take the blue and face down a Legion charge or they're branded uncooperative freeloaders.

That's straight racist, dawg.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2014 12:58 PM EST

Agreed.

• 20 posts
    January 24, 2014 5:05 PM EST

Agreed.

• 20 posts
    January 24, 2014 5:17 PM EST

I forget the name of the book, but I do remember reading something...was it when he grabbed Markarth back from the Forsworn? But it said that anyone who wasn't on his side, men, women, children, etc. were put to the sword. I'll see if I can find the title of that book. Which if that's true is really messed up; he already had the city and the people captive, why kill innocents?

Rumors are rumors of course, most of it is crap meant to discredit him. But what if there is a nugget of truth in some of them? Not saying Ulfric is definitely a monster, but what if?

• 20 posts
    January 24, 2014 5:32 PM EST

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Ulfric, but I respect that he sees the big picture. I think that the Dominion would have a lot of opposition if they tried to bring Skyrim into their control though, unless the Empire just rolled over and let them. The Nords are weakened somewhat from fighting the Empire, but they could see about putting their racism aside for one second and seeing about getting aid from Hammerfell. Hammerfell successfully beat the Dominion out without the Empire's help, and from what I know they still resent them.

• 158 posts
    January 24, 2014 6:31 PM EST

It's 'The Bear of Markarth', and usually the response in these debates regarding that book is that it was written by an Imperial and is therefore pro-Empire propaganda, not necessarily to be taken as fact.  Everyone likes to discredit the other side's sources in these arguments - an indication that Bethesda did a brilliant job in writing the books in the first place.

• January 24, 2014 6:44 PM EST

Did this ever come? 

• January 24, 2014 6:44 PM EST

Their hatred is stewed to perfection. 

• January 24, 2014 6:45 PM EST
    I don't think so.
  • January 24, 2014 6:46 PM EST

Do refugees pay taxes? 

• January 24, 2014 6:46 PM EST

I'm so freaking disappointed right now. 

• 20 posts
    January 24, 2014 7:08 PM EST

'Bear of Markarth,' that's it! It still makes me wonder, but then again my imagination likes to paint Ulfric as a power hungry sociopath. XD But well played by Bethesda, indeed. 

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    January 24, 2014 8:23 PM EST

I assume that the Dark Elves pay taxes since Viola mentions having the Jarl raise Revyn Sadri's taxes at one point. And if they do pay taxes, there is no excuse for the treatment they get. Even if they don't they are still a productive part of the economy, so there's still no excuse really. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2014 8:36 PM EST

Yes, they do.

And I strongly believe they're no longer refugees, but citizens of Windhelm. There are Dunmers who are in Windhelm for quite a time, and surely descendents of the first Dunmer who fled from Morrowind. (The Red Year happened in 4E 5. You can be certain that in that year and the following years, there were much more refugees coming from Morrowind. There were so much that in 4E 16 the High King of Skyrim gave Solstheim to the Dunmer, and in 4E 20, Refugees' Rest was decreed as monument for the "struggle of those who fled their native home of Morrowind in the time following the Red Year" by the Jarls of Skyrim.)

So I really would like to know how the Dunmers aren't contributing. I'd like to know how they didn't contribute to Windhelm in the past years since the Fifth Year of the Fourth Era. I'd like to know how Ulfric is not a racist.

And if you don't want to believe that they are citizens of Skyrim and Windhelm, than you can believe that the Dunmer pay their taxes, quoting Viola Giordano:

"Oh, really? So that Dark Elf took my ring. So typical of his kind. I think the Jarl should hear about this. Maybe double his taxes. No, triple them. That should teach those people a lesson. You deserve something for sniffing out that thief. Here."