Forums » Elder Scrolls

Naming a Male Imperial...

• 16 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:16 PM EST

Hey everybody, how's it going?  I've been bit once again by the Skyrim bug, and deciding to start fresh I wanted to make a new character or two - with the main character I want to play being an Imperial Mage/Necromancer.  His backstory is easy to think up, as well as his personality - I already have both aspects of his character swirling around in my mind.  His name, on the other hand...

I know about the uesp page with the lists of different NPC names from each game for each playable race, but as a rule I don't use previously used names, even of authors of in-game books.  If anyone can offer a few ideas, maybe some advice on naming an Imperial character -  the fact there are Italian AND Latin names sort of throws me off, maybe even a good site for finding names that are Latin, I'd appreciate anything you'd have to offer.*Smiles*  

A name I happen to like, but feel unsure about using though is Marcus for his given/first name.  I like it and see no NPCs have used it, but it seems like there are quite a few people who may have used that for their own Imperial character, plus there's that one NORD NPC named MARKUS (Sweet Sheogorath, that triggers something in me...) so....I don't know.  Once again, anything you have I'd appreciate it, and thank you all for your time.  :)

• 158 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:19 PM EST
    When I wanted to name my Imperial, I started poking around on the Wikipedia sites for famous Roman figures and gods. I eventually took his family name from one of the cults of the god Mars. But check out Cicero, Nero, Mars, Jupiter, Juno, and then click through some of the links off of those pages. You´ll find something that you like sooner or later, I think.
    • 360 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:20 PM EST

there are random name generators, you could try those

• 966 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:21 PM EST

Biggus Dickus or Naughtius Maximus.

• 1913 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:27 PM EST
    Caeius, Caesar (pronouncer K/eye/zar), Julius, Bastion
    • 16 posts
    January 16, 2014 12:27 PM EST

I tried  using one of those generators before, but the names I was given were either recycled ones belonging to past or present NPCs, or just didn't seem to fit the naming conventions of the race I was trying to find a name for.

• January 16, 2014 12:39 PM EST

Why Roman names? Go Greek. Leonidas.

• 16 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:03 PM EST

I want to with Latin/Roman names because that's the main name-origin Imperial names have - NPCs like Cicero, Titus, Tullius, they each have a name of Latin origin, and even though there are Italian names thrown in as well, names of non-latin origin for Imperials have changed but there were always the latin-inspired names.  

• 1913 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:05 PM EST
    Odysseus
    • 1913 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:06 PM EST
    So I guess my names above suck?
    • 16 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:09 PM EST

Not at all, they're good names.  :)  However, I think Caeius was already used or very close to an NPC's name.  

• 16 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:12 PM EST

Hmmm.....Well, Marcus is a very nice name.  Plus, technically "Markus" (the bastard...) is only an NPC if one buys the land near Falkreath.  I might consider having my dear Mage  be named Marcus afterall, but if anyone still has suggestions or advice, I'm more than happy to listen.  :)  Also, thank you to everyone who replied to this topic so far, and thank you as well Saryn.

• January 16, 2014 1:12 PM EST

They're Southern Europeans, Roman culture is inspired from Greek culture, they even had the same religion originally.

• 194 posts
    January 16, 2014 1:53 PM EST

This. The temptation is too strong to resist. One of my favorites is Gaius Marius, who is more or less responsible for reforming the Roman army into what it had to become to conquer so much throughout its lifespan.

• 47 posts
    January 16, 2014 2:19 PM EST

I like Marcus, it was the name of my Human Warden in Dragon Age: Origins 

Other than that Marrick/Marrik or Marius or Titus are all good names