Forums » Elder Scrolls

Question about mods

• December 19, 2013 1:18 PM EST

To all you heavy modders: If you had to pick 10 mods that you would think are must have for any Skyrim player what would they be?

Maybe a list of this has already been posted somewhere on the blog so feel free to link it to me if it exists..

Note that I'm not referring to 'unofficial patch' or better <insert random graphical element>, but instead looking for stuff like Frostfall, class systems, new towns/areas with quests etc. Just stuff that enhances, adds to or changes the gameplay and content of the game. So actual 'modifications' of the game.

• 1483 posts
    December 19, 2013 1:39 PM EST

This belongs in Mod Recommendations thread in The Modder's Workshop. I have a few must-have mods that do not add new things but instead modify the existing game to provide more immersion. For me, I can get by without any mod that adds new items/quests/locations to the game. The ones I can't imagine my game without are

Wet and Cold

Splash of Rain

Quiet unsheathing of enchanted weapons

Footprints

Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows

A Matter of Time - A HUD clock widget

Alternate Start - Live Another Life

SkyUI

Khajiit Speak - Complete Dialogue Overhaul (for Khajiit characters)

• 162 posts
    December 20, 2013 3:07 AM EST

I think modding depends heavily on your personal taste and goals, so who am I to name a mod a must have?

However I do have two:

1. SkyUI. I think this one is mandatory for every Skyrim PC player to get ride of the clumsy console menu.
    2. Duel Combat. Whatever version you take, standard or hardcore, it makes fights so much more immersive.

You mentioned that you don't refer to patches and graphic mods. I assume you already use those. I strongly believe those are really mandatory when playing Skyrim on a PC. You get ride of several annoying bugs and even only with the free basic HD graphics mod from Steam the game looks so much better. The just modest 2K graphic version I use now, does bring Skyrim already to a next level graphicly.

• 158 posts
    December 20, 2013 2:26 PM EST

Seconding Vazgen's choices of

Wet and Cold

Footprints

Alternate Start

There aren't any other mods I couldn't live without, but I do highly recommend

- an eating/sleeping/drinking mod - I use Nord Needs

- a water visuals mod - I use Realistic Water

- a camping mod - I use Camping Lite

Guard Dialogue Overhaul

These do add new items to the game, but I do find that they provide more lore-based immersion:

Immersive Weapons

Immersive Armors

Cloaks of Skyrim

Winter is Coming (Cloaks)

(It drove me crazy that everyone was walking around in skimpy armor with no cloaks.  And no fur items anywhere! Gah!)

Really Radiant Raiment

For non-armored characters, your clothing pickings are pretty slim. (Those Novice and Apprentice robes are really ugly, in my opinion.)  This allows you access to all the clothing used in the vanilla game, sold at Radiant Raiment.