Forums » Elder Scrolls

What really grinds your gears in Skyrim?

• 253 posts
    November 13, 2013 1:24 AM EST

Killcams have been mentioned, but being killcamed by an enemy that is fully staggered really gets to me. It makes perfect sense that you can cut my head off when you are putting all your effort into not falling over backwards. 

• 118 posts
    November 13, 2013 1:28 AM EST
    Oh another thing...

That side stepping bull%#@$ when you're an archer. When you're completely hidden and an enemy teleports sideways and dodges your shot and he has absolutely no idea where you are. One of the most broken ass things in this game.
    • 189 posts
    November 13, 2013 2:25 AM EST

Approx. 120 base damage, or after the Fortify Archery potion? Curious as to what exactly your setup is.

The build I'm running now, and hopefully posting soon, is using:

• Khajiit Claws [10 + 12]

• Ring of the Beast [+20]

• Fists of Steel via Ancient Nord Gauntlets [+10]

• Fortify Unarmed enchant via a grand soul at base Enchanting [+5]

= 57 total base unarmed damage. Could easily push that up a ways with better gauntlets and Enchanting perks/skill levels, but 57 is a pretty solid base. Can double that with Fortify Archery potions, not to mention the MFD effect to accelerate the damage output.

• 34 posts
    November 13, 2013 4:36 AM EST

When you get a slow-mo kill shot with a bow but then the arrow misses completely... 

Not being able to get mods or use console on ps3...

The way the camera can't be moved so your character is in the middle of the screen, not the left... 

The fact that height differences aren't shown in first person at all... 

When you're trying to talk to someone and other NPC's talk over them...

That you can only wear one ring (YOU HAVE 10 FINGERS) 

Followers can't ride horses of their own...

I could go on. It's not a perfect game, but I still love it.

• 3 posts
    November 13, 2013 4:44 AM EST

When you get a slow-mo kill shot with a bow but then the arrow misses completely...

When you're trying to talk to someone and other NPC's talk over them...

These.

FFS shut up Lydia..

Mostly I hate when quests wont trigger when they are supposed to and you have to load a save at the beginning of the dungeon or something... Sometimes console fixes it, sometimes not.

• 118 posts
    November 13, 2013 6:49 AM EST
    I play with HUD off though, makes me rage
    • 118 posts
    November 13, 2013 6:52 AM EST
    With potion, 120 base would be ridiculous!

You can actually stack 'Ring of the Beast' with a self enchanted ring too, so grab that extra +5 if you don't mind bugs.

Look forward to reading the build, do I smell ahzidal's armour being used?
    • 3 posts
    November 13, 2013 10:08 AM EST

The lack of Khajiit and overplaying of the stereotype associated with them. As a person who role-plays a Khajiit warrior in heavy armor who is a good aligned character, who does not steal or consume skooma I find it annoying. I would have been much happier if there had been more Khajiit, specifically meaningful ones, and ones that did not fit the stereotype.Heck they could have fit the stereotype provided there had been more. Far as I can tell Kharjo is the only one that fits the bill. I understand the Nord's stance on them, and that it fits 'lore' but it is still annoying. Would be nice if the developers would expand upon them more. Show us Khajiit that are more savage and make use for their fangs or claws, or honorable warriors that have a disdain for skooma addicts.

Also the lack of information on the current state of Elsweyr. Do they serve the Thalmor? Do some resist them? Do they even suspect that they might have been lied to about the returning of the moon? I understand that the disappearance of the moons brought about chaos, but all of them? I try to role-play a warrior who sees Skyrim has beacon of hope that could be used to inspires others to fight back against the Thalmor. But I have not been able to find much that suggests that one would. 

• 26 posts
    November 13, 2013 11:25 AM EST

There's also the fact that both of the Khajiit followers die really, really easily, at least in my experience.

• 63 posts
    November 13, 2013 1:19 PM EST

Random Glitches. It's a love-hate relationship. I hate them, but i still find them hilarious. Like last night, it was raining leeks. LEEKS! Has that ever happened to anyone before?

• 3 posts
    November 14, 2013 7:29 AM EST

Some more...

1. Dragons that fly around aimlessly, making all sorts of noise regardless of how many arrows or spells you shoot at them. Wish Bethesda would release a patch that applies a Troll Face to the dragons that plan on doing that to save us time. 

2. Falmer

2.(.a) Their appearance, movements, and attacks. 

2.(.b) Their dark caves. 

2.(.c) Their usually large dwellings that usually have several floors and or chambers that connect to another whole dungeon. 

2.(.d) Their pets, the Chaurus. I hate those giant insects. they are both scary and dangerous. 

3. Being offered a spot in the Circle after doing ONE quest for the Companions. 

• 3 posts
    November 14, 2013 7:53 AM EST

I would have been much happier if there had been more Khajiit, specifically meaningful ones

What about M'aiq? He cannot be passed without talking to twice.

• November 14, 2013 9:04 AM EST

Solution: turn on HUD

• 1913 posts
    November 14, 2013 9:11 AM EST
    Well the stereotype has truth to it... The problem is the differences in culture...
    • 61 posts
    November 14, 2013 12:55 PM EST

I hate falmer as well, mainly because they scare the crap out of me. They strangely remind me of those creatures from the film "Descent"

• November 15, 2013 1:04 AM EST

The worst killcam ever that really grinds my gears was on the Jagged Crown quest when my stormcloak allies turned on me when I decided to take a little snack on a dead Imperial. Got all the way done with killing King Borgas and with Galmar chasing me through it, swinging his battleaxe at me while I maneuver while killing the draugrs And when I exit the door and the loading screen (finally) disappears my characters there getting ran through with Galmar's Battleaxe

• 95 posts
    November 22, 2013 5:37 AM EST

Ok, I know it is a fantasy game, so I shouldn't whine about things that are not realistic, but c'mooon, even if it is a fantasy game, it should be possible to stay realistic in a fantasy world too. So here are some examples the really blow my mind:

-Guards logic: You are the Thane of the 9 holds, Hrbringer of the Companions, the Listener, the Leader of the  Thieves Guild, the Archmage of Winterhold and the only living Dragonborn itself. But if you approach me with  your weapon drawn I'll kick your ass... Another guard logic: he asks "What is it?" but he doesn't give you a chance to answer :D

-You are a mighty guy who shouts people to death, the only one who can really kill a dragon, raising firestorms, killing ancient heroes, vempire lords, but can't jump on or climb over a 1.5 m high wall or climb rocks.

-Sneak: It is overpowered and irralistic. "I'm sure I heard something" - Arrow in the knee - "That must be my imagination"

-Pickpocket: You can steal EQUIPPED STUFFS!!!!!!444FOUR. Just imagine yourself traveling home in the underground and suddenly you're naked :D (I really laugh now XD)

-The next thing annoys me, not only in Skyrim but in every game: Drinking potions during battle, ok be it. But eat a 2 kg goat cheese and 3 breads??? Change a whole set of armor???? :D I can say again, just imagine it in real life :D No doubt, your enemy would be pissed off if you started making sandwiches or change your chlotes in the heat of the battle :D

-Everyone s**ts his pants because of the returning of the dragons while a giant, who wanders freely, kill it with greatest of ease. I think dragons should be more powerful.

-Armors/weapons do not have any requirement, it is srtange, in most games they have, and it is more realistic. At least, heavy armors and 2 handed waepons should have some stamina requirement IMO.

-Ebony warrior: Are you serious? We had such a badass invincible guy during the whole time I suffered to restore the peace in Skyrim, then why didn't someone asked/hired this guy to do all these jobs? I don't know it just makes the whole story meaningless :(

-Every means are given to be a bad guy (becoming a vampire, summon/raise undead minions etc). But if I decide being a bad guy then what? I think the "good guy" playthrough is more detailed, and is no real bad guy playthrough.

Skyrim is the most realistic RPG I've ever played (interact with the environement, committin crime--> go to jail, kill almost anyone, AOE spells, missed arrows hurts followers/friendly NPCs too, real day and night, Falling off extreme heights actually kills you etc.), probably that's why the irrealistic features annoy me more than in other games :)

• November 22, 2013 5:56 AM EST

I agree with most of this but what mostly annoys me are the dragons.

Sure you can't have a "realistic" dragon, but it's like you say, they did try to make it as credible as possible, and so when there's flaws it becomes annoying. They're far too heavily built to actually fly let alone hover. I mean, just look at the sound they make when they land, they can stagger you just by landing. For something to create such a shock it must weight well beyond a hundred tons - more than the heaviest tanks. When confronted with this, Bethesda just pull the "oh, it's just magic" card, which I find really cheap.

Why would these dragons even bother landing to fight you? They should use that ability to grab people and drop them off the skies a lot more often, though this would probably make a lot of people rage. But then again, bandit marauders also spam their 1 shot kill cam on you all the time and Bethesda didn't really care about it.

• 1483 posts
    November 22, 2013 6:01 AM EST

I'd love to see huge dragons with 4 legs who can destroy buildings and burn villages! Oh, well, will have to be content with this

• November 22, 2013 8:24 AM EST

That looks like a really good mod, finally one that allows dragons to use multiple dragon shouts

But dragons with 4 legs are ridiculous. They already aren't aerodynamic enough as they are right now.

• 104 posts
    November 22, 2013 8:29 AM EST
    Follower AI.
    • 360 posts
    November 22, 2013 10:11 AM EST
    Serana.
    • 159 posts
    November 22, 2013 5:54 PM EST

hey Vagzan in Dragon age Inquisition they are have very large four legged dragons check out the gameplay demo in youtube that shows em off!  

• 1483 posts
    November 22, 2013 6:00 PM EST

I've seen them (that's part of the reason I brought them up)! A huge dragon destroying environment, breathing fire in flight... Awesome! 

• 1483 posts
    November 22, 2013 6:20 PM EST

Also, Vagzan? LOL