Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Case of the Disappearing Saves

• 62 posts
    July 20, 2013 9:39 AM EDT

I loaded Skyrim this morning on my laptop, getting ready to play. The first thing I noticed was that SKSE (and hence SkyUI) didn't seem to be running. No big deal, I thought. Maybe there was a patch and something will be updated. Then I got into the game, and realized that a couple hours worth of saved game had disapearred. Not a whole character or anything, but it took me back a level (from 22 to 21) and in what I lost I had completed several quests. Has this happened to anyone before? I don't know if this might have made a difference, but I just downloaded Dragonborn yesterday evening and hadn't played it since until this morning. 

Is there any way to get that save back? If not, can I keep it from happening again?

• 1483 posts
    July 20, 2013 9:40 AM EDT

Did you launch the game via Launcher?

• 1913 posts
    July 20, 2013 9:46 AM EDT
    Saves have disappeared on me only once (Xbox 360), and all I did was restart the game. It worked
    • 62 posts
    July 20, 2013 12:40 PM EDT

I launched the game through SKSE, but since SKSE wasn't running it started through the launcher.

• 291 posts
    July 20, 2013 1:32 PM EDT

It sounds like installing Dragonborn might have misplaced some files.  I recommend reinstalling SKSE (and update to the latest version).  I also recommend you go back through any other mods you're using and make sure you download the Dragonborn versions of these, should they exist.  You may have some incompatibility problems otherwise.

Furthermore, did you go to your save folder and check to see if the saves were actually there?

• 271 posts
    July 20, 2013 1:40 PM EDT
    I know the problem. Im on xbox and this has happend two times for me. Try to delete some very old saves. That should bring back the mussing ones.
    • 62 posts
    July 20, 2013 2:43 PM EDT

Where can I find my Skyrim folder? Thanks for the advice!

• 40 posts
    July 20, 2013 11:52 PM EDT

Mine is located at: Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Saves (this is just to get to the saves)

If you want to look at your data folder my pathway is: Computer/C:/Program Files x86/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data