Forums » General Gaming

Dark Souls: A New Level of Gaming

• 577 posts
    September 10, 2012 12:55 AM EDT

The last couple of weeks I've been doing some extensive "research" on this game. I've become quite obsessed with it even though I've only logged in 7hrs. (I've logged in more hours reading and watching videos than playing the damn game! lol) I kinda like to get my "ducks lined up". Not necessarily cheating, but just taking tips. Yes, the game is difficult. Mainly because of the mechanics and timing of the controls (to me they are. I'm a shitty gamer to begin with). It is such a unique game. The landscapes, environments and foes are chilling and baffling alone. You are told very little, if at all, as to what you're suppose to do. It's pretty mind blowing, yet exhilarating.

I know this game has been out almost a year. There's tons of videos, blogs, forums, etc. on the game that have helped out the masses (and I've discovered it does have quite a tight nit community, much like the one here)

As I mentioned above, it's no secret that this game is quite difficult and I intend to step up and tackle this beast how it is meant to be played. Which brings me to this video I want to show you. Through my "research", I've come across this guy on youtube, EpicNameBro. Seems to be a really intelligent gamer and a great commentator. The dude shreds at this game. But he has put hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

If you have the time (about a half hour) he explains why there shouldn't be an "easy" mode in Dark Souls because there were rumors the developers were considering it, if there was another Souls game. Tbh, if there was on this game, I would probably notch it down a bit. But that's the exciting thing about this game! There's not! It's the same for everyone.

Anyway, I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were on this topic. Personally, I don't give a damn, but there is something to be said about the satisfaction of playing on a harder difficulty.

Note: If possible, try not to watch the actual video. It will distract you from what he is saying. The video is just showing Boss battles from his library of DS footage. And the guy swears a little bit, so you've been warn kiddies

• 377 posts
    September 10, 2012 7:16 AM EDT

As tempting as this game looks, I know better than to get it because I know myself. I would rage, and rage, and rage, throw cups, throw mouse, break keyboard, punch screen.... no, no, the damages would not be worth it to me. Even though I like some challenges, I don't like it when it's absolutely ridiculous.

Regarding whether a game should offer easier modes - yes and no; it's subjective, it depends on the game. (Then again there are games that have been made way too easy, but that's a different topic.) Who are we to intrude on Dark Souls gaming universe and demand an easier mode. I say let the Dark Souls universe retain its infamous identity. If you want an easy game go play Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood. There are plenty of easy games around.

• 952 posts
    September 10, 2012 7:45 AM EDT

I was very interested in this, especially since it's now for pc, but I don't know if I'm going to buy it or not, only time will tell.

• 708 posts
    September 10, 2012 8:01 AM EDT

I'll probably pick it up during a Steam sale, $70 seems a bit steep for a game almost a year old

• 952 posts
    September 10, 2012 8:46 AM EDT

Wow, it's that expensive? I'm gonna wait as well in that case, I kinda want it a bit but not for that price.

• 577 posts
    September 10, 2012 9:45 AM EDT

Lol! yeah, don't know what to tell you there. It's definitely a game of patience and determination. It really is all about learning the mechanics and how to fight, parrying, riposte, dodging, rolling out of the way, etc. Once you get the basics down and learn all the different ways the enemies fighting styles, it becomes somewhat easier and enjoyable. As of now, I've been just "farming" souls. Killing and practicing on easier foes in order to continue on and get a feeling of confidence. It truly is a remarkable game! I wish I would have started it when I got it for Christmas last year (I was to deep into Skyrim at that point. I did check it out and hated it at first with a passion. Thought it was ridiculous, but now I'm seeing the fruits of this game and what the hype is/was all about)

It is a sadistic game and really pushes the gamer to a new level of experience, hence the title of this thread. lol

• 577 posts
    September 10, 2012 9:57 AM EDT

Oh Ponts! I can really see you loving this game! I've seen videos of you jamming some Skyrim. You got skillz....Once you got the mechanics down, you'd eat it up. All the stats, armor, weapons, shields, magic (I don't get a sense there's that much magic. Compared to Skyrim at least) are quite extensive.

I would seriously look into it. And yeah, $70 is expensive! shesh....didn't know that. PC does get a quite a bit new content, but still. In the meantime, I'd do a little research and pick up some tips. It helps

• 739 posts
    September 10, 2012 10:13 AM EDT

I played Demons Souls pretty extensively! These games are indeed incredible!

As you get better at playing they actually become more and more enjoyable!

Basically if you cock up you will die (or come very close to it), you are permanently a glass cannon. Once you get good the battles become almost cinematic, with you dodging insane attacks at the perfect moment and unloading neat little combo's.

I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into Dark Souls but I need about a month to get my head in the right place to take on such a game.

• 577 posts
    September 10, 2012 10:36 AM EDT

"I need about a month to get my head in the right place" LOL That's awesome. You play on PS3 don't you? Surprised you haven't play it yet. Or maybe you were waiting for the PC version.

I agree with you about being cocky and coming in thinking you're going to slay. The game is very humbling. But there's nothing better than the sense of even the most minor accomplishments. Hell, it took me 5 attempts just to take down the first boss at the beginning of the game! And then I found a new bonfire? whew, exhilarating!

• 6 posts
    October 16, 2012 11:23 AM EDT

Just got this game for the Xbox last week (for £12.99, bargain) and like Tygravius I found the first boss was a brute, but only took me 3 lives to beat him. I'm having a love/hate thing with the game at the minute: love the fact that my heart is in my mouth everytime I play it due to how hard it is, hate the fact that my heart is in my mouth everytime I play it due to how hard it is! The lack of info is a bit annoying as I don't want to waste anything new I pick up due to being Ignorant. But it does leave you with a higher level of pride/satisfaction/relief than few games give. Knowing that you can not change to an easier mode and knowing that you will loss all your progress with each kill tends to make you more attentive at all times whilst playing. After a session I am exhausted due to always 'being on', for the want of a better term. Also I love the bloodstain element when you must get back to the place of your death to reclaim your status, it leaves you on tender hooks until you get back to that point. I recommend everyone at least gives it the required time to like it work its way under your skin.

• 577 posts
    October 17, 2012 10:13 AM EDT

Ahh, yes indeed Seanso! Once you find your "groove" and timing of the different foe's, you will truly enjoy the game! Don't be afraid to watch some videos for a little help and it is alright to have some humble pie and die quite often. You just have to learn from it! lol If you're always holding on to alot of souls, it will put pressure on you to not die. Spend them on leveling up or upgrading your weapon and armor. Try to stick to one weapon of choice and beef it up. Same with armor. Not sure how you're going to play, heavy armor like a tank (which you move slow and fat roll) or light armor so you can moving freely with <25% encumbrance (which I perfer)

Just take your time! Once you get the hang of it, you'll be running through Undead Burg's Hollows like swiss chees!

Oh yeah, I highly recommend to get the guide. It will help out how the game works, etc. and give you a few pointers. It doesn't give you a whole lot spoiler wise, but just enough to help you understand the game better. Plus there's maps which aren't in the game. It was only $10! here in the states (about 7-8 quid) and it's a hardback!!!

• 360 posts
    March 13, 2013 6:06 PM EDT
    I hope they dont tone down the dificulty, getting op for the game's pve is relativly easy, after some time u will notice that even if u are a glass canon yourself, the mobs also are, and getting op wont affect the chalenge, cause u are going to get invaded half the time u are playing it, with phantoms that are just or even more powerful than u, but really, thats when the thrill of hunt begings, especialy when you are the phantom
    • 29 posts
    March 13, 2013 7:01 PM EDT

I own dark souls, and it can be REALLY frustrating at times. But when you kill that boss or make your way through an area, it really does feel like an achievement. I can see points for both sides of the argument, some players feel like they are missing out on a game because of the difficulty. But others feel it takes away one of the main aspects of the game. My wish for the next one would be to see more RP aspects in the game, I've played for hours on end without seeing or speaking to a single character and it sometimes feels like a real lonely adventure, but that's my personal opinion. 

Watching smough and ornstien makes me remember how annoying they were 

• March 13, 2013 7:26 PM EDT

I've bought and played this game. I've even beaten it solo, with not a single friend dropping by to help out, ever. It's brutal in a fun way, but I'd be fine with the game having an easier difficulty mode. There's a fine line between challenging and sadistic, and while Dark Souls does its best to be 'fair' (it isn't sometimes though), games should be able to be beaten by people who aren't extremely proficient.

The game necessitates a strategy guide, walkthrough, and maps just to be able to finish the damn thing. I certainly needed all of those.

Tygravius, if you haven't made a character yet here is my recommendation. Start as a Pyromancer and invest every soul you've got into Endurance first until it's 40 (the soft cap). This will give you maximum stamina and weight capacity, allowing for better armor and faster movement. My personal build after this was to go spear and shield, using the Grass Crest Shield (which can be acquired once you make it to the Firelink Shrine) and the Wing Spear (which you can get in the Graveyard. Don't bother killing the skeletons, the'll obliterate you). I then took Sorcery and pumped everything into Intelligence, with just enough strength and dexterity to use the Wing Spear. I enchanted the spear into a Magic and then Arcane weapon, you can find out how to do that on the wiki. This playstyle uses a mobile defense and the ability to attack while your shield is up to basically 'tank' the game without having to raise your health ONCE. Light armor is all you need, the Black Leather set looks great and gives all-round good protection. I beat the game solo with this build and never ran into any challenge I couldn't defeat with enough stat grinding and patience.

• 1913 posts
    March 13, 2013 7:29 PM EDT
    I'm friends with him on Xbox live... He's beaten it multiple times over
  • March 13, 2013 7:32 PM EDT

Well, I still think it's a very good build. :P

• 360 posts
    March 13, 2013 7:57 PM EDT
    What lvl are u guys? Any areas u pvp often in?
    • 661 posts
    March 13, 2013 8:21 PM EDT

I miss playing Demon's Souls, I picked it up at a pawn shop like 3-4 years ago back  when I owned a ps3. That game was so much fun. The difficulty of that game was fun. You really need a different strategy ever time you play that game. I  heard the difficulty of Dark Souls was raised significantly before it came out, more so than it's predecessor. The brutality of that game was amazing, the first boss I fought that mass of moving liquid had me change my mind about that game, it only became funner after that.

• 577 posts
    March 13, 2013 8:53 PM EDT

Ahh, cheers CP:) Yeah, I'm all about the End and Dex. I have to fast roll (<25%) Everything else is considered "fat rolls" to me. lol....I'm currently into building characters up to about lvl 25-30 and just staying at that level while I collect the embers and beef up my gear to +15's and +10's. I do alot of farming. I have one character who's only killed the Capra and that was to get the key to the Depths in order to get the ember. I leave the bosses alive in order to have duels with invaders. Alot of times it's a bunch of hacks/OP/Modders...but whatever. It's worth getting a good honorable fight in the end. But it does take alot of work to grind out all those Shards in Blighttown (lrg shards) and New Londo (chunks)...Plus I like to help ppl. Especially noobs in the Parish. One invader could ruin this awesome game and he'd never play it again....so I kinda play "cop". LOL!! I don't gank (*cough...darkroot garden), just get the host to boss gate as fast as possible. "Protect the Host" is vital!!!

Ugh...I've logged in over 600hrs on this beast now with 8 characters ranging from lvl 30-200...I got them in order of about ever 25 levels or so to help ppl without leveling a character...I just switch characters instead. If someone needs help in Anor, I ask what lvl are you and then pick a character that's summonable to him It's really fun!! Yes the games confusing so half the time I'm explaing what the hell's going on to complete strangers. LOL oh well....

• 577 posts
    March 13, 2013 9:00 PM EDT

Personally the only PvP I really do is wait for invaders below Anor...I don't step foot in D-root garden....it's just a mess in there. I prefer duels at low levels...Learning by baby steps. I'll probably level up a character to 100-120 in order to partake in that noise in the garden one of these days. LOL!! I have a couple characters with close to around a million souls, so it wouldn't take long to jack them up....

• March 13, 2013 9:07 PM EDT

I like my character's Int / Dex build with a 19 in the (spirit?) stat, the one that raises your attunement slots. I only need four to have a good reserve of blasting spells without having too many to cycle through. I also go Light with full End, with a shield and spear build it combines excellent mobility with decent damage and a great defense. The Grass Crest Shield combined with the breakable ring you get in New Londo gives incredible stamina recovery and a large pool.

I prefer Sorceries to Pyromancies and Miracles. They're a good mix of offense and defense and they have excellent range, which is what the build desperately needs. Being able to pull enemies and engage them on your own terms is invaluable in Dark Souls.

I just wish that Dark Souls' plot was more detailed. Sure, there's plenty to discover with items you find and a few characters you meet but I think the game would have had a MUCH better storyline if you'd been able to find books like in Skyrim that informed you about the world and its history. It feels weird not knowing what's going on, like you're a visitor to an alien dimension filled with seven-headed goats and non-euclidean geometry.

• 577 posts
    March 13, 2013 9:16 PM EDT

That's kinda beauty of the game...the Unknown! But yeah, I know what you mean:) Requires reading all the items you pick up. That's where the clues are to whole puzzle and mystery. There's no hand holding, which turns alot of ppl off. That will most likely change in DkS2....I just hope not too much. I love the intensity of the Unknown and what the fuck is going on feeling A bit rare in these times I must say....

• 360 posts
    March 13, 2013 9:19 PM EDT
    Nice, you in xbox? If so let me know when u get a high lvl char, we could do some damage in the forest, been doing that for a long time and it is sooo fun. Been using the buffed scimitar, wat do you like using?
    • 577 posts
    March 13, 2013 11:50 PM EDT

I did my whole first playthrough with just a straight up +15 longsword. Old school! lol I got all the "upgraded" achievements using a longsword also (you know, enchanted, magic, fire, lighting, chaos, raw, normal) Had one of each:) I'm not into slow, heavy weapons at first when I started playing, but now I'm all about the claymore and even the Bastard sword (same movesets, but the B-sword doesn't have thrust) I know these weapons go against Dex but for what I'm doing at the moment, building low level characters and chillin for invaders, I need all the "uumph" i can get...hence the claymore (I use minimal requirements of 16str and a little extra dex at15. I like the stun it puts out also. I have been practicing with the Iaito and Uchi though. You see, I'm not getting any power through leveling stats, I only rely on the upgrading. I help out alot of ppl with bosses, etc. You wouldn't believe it but one guy kicked me down a +5 lightening Claymore down in Blighttown!!! Ugh, it dominates!!! I was super stoked since my character won't ring the two bells to open Sen's and Anor (you know what I mean...can't get to Giant smith in Anor for lighting weapon upgrades)

But anyway, yeah, hit me up....my gamertag is the same as here Oh btw, I don't gank....sorry If that's what you were implying about hittin the droot garden...

• 9 posts
    March 13, 2013 11:52 PM EDT

<3 dks pvp!