Forums » The Lounge

I always come across certain paragraphs or quotes in books that

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 1:36 PM EDT

Here are a very few of my favorites.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."- William Congreve-The Mourning Bride

"They say that overconfidence often leads to defeat, but I do not think that I am ever overconfident. I am merely wholly confident, and I maintain that there is all the difference in the world there."- John Carter-Warlord of Mars-Llana of Mars

"And so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's always been the more destructive weapon, sure."- Stephen King-The Dark Tower

• 133 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:15 PM EDT

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."  Robert A. Heinlein, from Moon is a Harsh Mistress, one of the best incursions of sci-fi in politics;

"Nulla venit sine te nox mihi nulla diaes" Ovidio, Tristia;

"A man's got to do what a man's got to do" atributed to John Wayne, and considered on of the dumbest phrases ever, but I think it has some wisdom;

"The game may be crooked, but it's the only game in town" atributed to George Devol, a professional gambler in the boats of Mississipi, and considered by me as the wisest words ever said by a human being.

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:28 PM EDT

Ricardo, those three things seem much the sum of the man who is re-quoting them. ;)

Only you would quote John Wayne, pilgrim. :P 

Hehehe, all games are crooked, Ricardo. Especially the ones played here around the Mississippi.

• 140 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:39 PM EDT

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye,”  from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, and has been a life motto for me, I guess.

“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I have way so much more than that, but these are the ones springing to the top of my head at the moment.

I think I need to read The Dark Tower series, as you reference it so frequently, Shannon.  Probably the only thing I have not read of King's.  Have you been reading a lot of Burroughs?

• 140 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:41 PM EDT

Never read that Heinlein, Ricardo, and it sounds like it would be worth checking it out!

• 133 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:45 PM EDT

I've read The little prince when I was 8, and I never ever forgot it. Saint Exupery was a truly great writer. And Charlotte was the most sensible of the Bronte Sisters, though not the most talented. About Heinlein I advise Strange in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Double Star.

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 2:47 PM EDT

I,ve read a great many books, most of them Dutch so a quote would make no sense to you guy's :D

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:06 PM EDT

That makes no sense, is what makes no sense here, dragon!!

• 140 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:06 PM EDT

Try us, Alduin...I translated a French quote into English.  We would love for you to expose us to something new!  

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:08 PM EDT

Alright then, i have to think about it for a moment

I assume i cant use local dialect? lol, good luck translating that:P

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:12 PM EDT

I like the first quote, Ky. It is very eloquently put and much truth lies in it. Excuse me my short absences as I am baking a cake for Mom.

The Dark Tower is amazing. It is all genres in one and the characters are gorgeously and vividly rendered so that it tears your heart when you finish the last. I recommend them highly.

Yes, I have been reading a LOT of Burroughs. I am on book 11 of the Mars series. However when I started reading them I didn't realize that a Disney movie had recently been made on the series. Good thing too or I probably would not have read them. Burrough's prose is so eloquent and well written, that even though the subject matter is fantastic, he has you wholly believing his fiction. I love them. :)

• 13 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:12 PM EDT

"He who controls the spice, controls the universe" -Maud'Dib from Dune

EDIT: awesome booook Stranger in a Strange Land is fantastic aswell

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:15 PM EDT

Especially the cinnamon. :P

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:16 PM EDT

Here is a simple one:

Dit is je sigul, fluisterde de vervagende stem die de schemer van rozen met zich meedroeg, de geur van thuis op een zomeravond -- o voorbij! -- een steen, een roos, een ongevonden deur; een steen, een roos, een deur.

Dit is je belofte dat de dingen misschien anders zijn, Roland -- dat er misschien nog rust komt. Zelfs redding.

Een stilte, en toen:

Als je standhoudt. Als je pal staat.

From the Dark Tower. part 7 ;)

• 140 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:16 PM EDT

Michael Valentine Smith is unforgettable...I will check out the other too, though.

• 133 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:18 PM EDT

"There's nothing simple about religion", from the sayings of Bene Gesserit.

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:20 PM EDT

Lol, put it through google translate, and some thing are wrong and just plain silly :D

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:22 PM EDT

Why are you being impossible Alduin? Just translate the damn thing. It's probably about whiskey anyway.

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:23 PM EDT

No, people want elaborate gods and wonderful heavens and pitiless demons.

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:23 PM EDT

Was there whiskey in the Dark Tower? It there was i would have remembered it

I,m not the one who was supposed to translate it lol

• 966 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:25 PM EDT

And Nords want a dragon the eats worlds and souls

• 13 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:41 PM EDT

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

• 133 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:45 PM EDT

"Logic is just a way to find out something that you already knew" from Heinlein's Having Spacesuit Will Travel

• 162 posts
    May 13, 2012 3:50 PM EDT

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."  Gandalf the Grey, Fellowship of the Ring, The shadow of the past.

• 668 posts
    May 13, 2012 4:09 PM EDT

Asverze and ricardo join chat.