Forums » Elder Scrolls

Balancing Mods

• 15 posts
    April 9, 2012 11:42 PM EDT

One of my frustrations with Skyrim was going thru a dungeon one-shoting most enemies and then spending the next half hour getting one shotted by the boss before I decide I have to come back to the dungeon after I gain a bunch of levels.  This occurs on Master difficulty, and I only made it past 20 a couple of times, once as a Dual Wielder with Light Armor and once as an Archer with Light Armor.

While I am browsing the nexus and workshop for balancing mods, I wanted to get your opinion on any  balancing mods you may have tried and found to be good or bad at making the normal enemies more challenging and boss encounters possible at the level I enter instead of having to come back later.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• April 9, 2012 11:47 PM EDT

It's not a matter of mods.

It's a matter of your playstyle. Do you extra extra smith your bow? Is it Daedric and do you enchant it with 70 fire damage? See, when you do things like that you're power playing even though it can kind of come naturally.

Roleplay, give yourself weaknesses. I'd suggest using only 1 of the craft skills or having one subdued or being careful not to get too powerful with the things you make. Use less points into "Stealth" for a more interesting and careful playthrough? I found it extremely easy to play with full stealth but I was playing on Adept back then so I can't be so sure.

That's the secret. Roleplay, gimp, nerf, etc. I'm sure all the other Skyrim Bloggers can give you some more ideas..

• 15 posts
    April 10, 2012 12:12 AM EDT

I agree with you completely Julian.  I enjoy the role-playing part.

I role-played a DW using light armor and no magic, and a sneak archer also in light armor and no magic.  I had minimal blacksmithing and enchantments, and I have never even seen a daedric weapon yet.

However, that doesn't change that every dungeon is super easy except for the boss, even on master difficulty.

• April 10, 2012 12:18 AM EDT

Well... I don't really know what to say...

I can't see how it's that easy... Are you sure it's on Master?

Maybe there's some glitch... Idk, maybe it's a mod/mod incompatability...