Forums » Elder Scrolls

Companions: Helpful carriers of loot or get in the way lemmings?

• 132 posts
    November 29, 2011 9:52 PM EST

Lol...my shadowmere once fought 10 bandits at once, 4 with 2h battle axes and the rest with bows, and they hacked at him for about 10 minutes while I slowly whittled down the bandits with my bow. Must have been one damn big accident.

• 4 posts
    November 29, 2011 10:04 PM EST

I've done that.  I like to sneak some while inside dungeons, so best to leave em behind most of the time.  My character is a tank, but realistically even warriors would take their time if entering an unknown cave or barrow by themselves. 

• 4 posts
    November 29, 2011 10:11 PM EST

I think the usefulness of companions are in the eye of the beholder and/or circumstances.  You may simply like the idea of a partner, or hate when they give you away while trying to sneak.  I myself am caught in between.  Sometimes I use them and for a while I do without.  But one thing I do love are trainer companions.  You can train with them, then enter their inventory and take back all your gold.  Brilliant. 

• 3 posts
    November 29, 2011 10:17 PM EST

Companions stand as a complete annoyance to me haha.  Not that they are bad additions to the game, they just find their way into my chain lightnings waayyy too often.  The Destruction tree is my playground, therefore my spells are meant to kill everyone in the area that isn't me.  Since chain lightning and other spells don't differentiate between who is your ally/an innocent and an enemy, companions just get in my way.

The first time I took Lydia out was a disaster.  It was also the only time I took her with me to battle.  I entered the ruined fort, started taking down forsworn, and after the dust had cleared, Lydia was nowhere to be found.  Not even a body on the floor.  Now she is missing and I'm not sure if she glitched or died.  

Either way, companions just aren't my thing.

• 12 posts
    November 29, 2011 11:25 PM EST
    Fighting a dragon priest on top of a mountain and I used unrelenting fource which was improperly aimed... Long story short showmere fell off the mountain :(
    • 16 posts
    November 30, 2011 12:28 AM EST

I took Lydia up to the Throat of the World and dragon shouted her off the peak.

Nuff said.

• 31 posts
    November 30, 2011 2:52 AM EST

I was always a lone warrior, I never took companions in Fallout (except Dogmeat, but I left him at home most of the time.) I always found them to be annoying and getting underfoot.

Having said that, my orc husband and wife are making a good team in Skyrim! I'm actually enjoying it as they are both heavily armoured ebony wielding tanks. They don't sneak, they just hack apart everything in their way. Her support with the bow is handy and of course having her carry dragonbones makes life so much easier.

• 13 posts
    November 30, 2011 3:29 AM EST

With every character except my assassin (but even with that one I often have Cicero) I always have a companion. I think they legitimately help in fights. They take a lot of the heat off of you, deal decent damage if you equip them well, and they make great pack mules!

• 13 posts
    November 30, 2011 3:31 AM EST

Haha that's such a good idea! I never thought of that.