Forums » General Gaming

Differing play styles

• 98 posts
    April 2, 2012 11:24 AM EDT

I used to play Dead=Dead but then (get ready for bad joke that actually happend though) I took an arrow the the face.

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 11:27 AM EDT

lol I think the arrow jokes are never going to get old not for me anyway lol Its something I always look for at the end of a battle. How good was my accuracy. Shot to the face, neck, balls or knee is a tick in my book lol

• 739 posts
    April 2, 2012 11:46 AM EDT

Tank companions like Lydia served me well during some of the early levels on master difficulty because they are a match for some of the toughies like the old orc or bandit chiefs while you nip at their flanks.

More battle strategy is needed at higher difficulties so even simple battles are much more immersive. Necromancy is also far more enjoyable when playing on master because the slower more careful pace means that raised minions wont end up falling behind and are usually with you during combat bringing on the pain.

• 577 posts
    April 2, 2012 12:39 PM EDT

That's the thing...sometimes I still think I'm as badass as my main dude. This is a new playthough. I don't do alot of playthroughs, let alone any. I tend not to look at the small signs like the sabre cats. I'd just assume I could take him. lol

• 18 posts
    April 2, 2012 12:40 PM EDT

This actually inspired me to try Master difficulty! I had been too scared to do it before. I like the element of having to really fight for survival, makes things much more satisfying.

• 577 posts
    April 2, 2012 12:50 PM EDT

Are you chuggin health potions on Master? or maybe a combo of healing and potions? I can't help thinking that all you "Master" players don't even drink potions or heal. LOL  Like you guys are Super-hero-dragonborns! LOL

• 133 posts
    April 2, 2012 12:53 PM EDT
    I don't use companions with my present character. It's just not his style. But I use conjuration all the time and I don't like permanently summoned creatures. They keep far behind or get in the way or make it impossible to sneak - they are just a drag. I prefer just to call a creature when I need and I wish there was an unsummon option, like I had in Oblivion.
  • April 2, 2012 1:14 PM EDT

What!? High brightness! Heresy!

Lol, but really, why would your bro turn up the brightness! You can already very well in Dungeons and even outside. I play with the Realistic Lighting mod (I'm guessing Ponty has it too) that makes dungeons and night alot darker and I think it makes day nicer. One of my favorite and most essential mods.

It's freaky and kinda hard sometimes when you are in a particularly dark part of a dungeon with the music off and suddenly half you health is sucked away from a Restless 2 Hander Draugr behind you. At low levels those things can be pretty hard. I play on Expert but I'm starting to verge towards Master and possibly Dead = Dead. I tried playing D=D with my Vigilant character but when I set out from the Vigilants place (I spawned there cause'a my Different Starts mod) I got killed from a Snow Wolf XD I decided I might not initiate it until I was farther south where it seems to not be as hard... Cause about a minute after I saw a nice shrine of one of the Divines but was attacked by 2 Ice Wraiths which I died from the first time and beat the second.

Other than that I can't really think of anything... Dang you! All this talk of Argonians makes me want to make my idea for a Argonian in Morrowind that uses Spears, Marksman, Illusion, and I still need to decide whether to use Medium or Light armor... We'll see. My caster is doing quite well at level 6 though. It kinda sucks though that Morrowind isn't as RPable. I have the Difficulty just turned up a bit but other than that it's kinda hard to RP and use higher difficulties without sprinting for survivability (You can almost never outrun something unless you have very high speed and pretty low encumberance) and Smithing so you can use lower level armors too. Maybe I'll find some higher level versions of armor type mod. I don't know.

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 1:57 PM EDT

All those mods no wonderyou don't know which way to go lol  Spoilt for choice. I like the sound of the alternate start point though. Do you level up quicker at higher difficulties? 

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:03 PM EDT

Yeah Ive been thinking about taking a companion on with my Larz playthrough but haven't come across the best candidate yet. I think he would benifit from a pair of younger knees :)

• 577 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:18 PM EDT

I don't think you do...I'm about 90% certain. lol

• 739 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:19 PM EDT

I agree for the most part ricardo, the atronach side of conjuration allows for forward casting into unscouted rooms a very useful feature. Atronach's also make for good road blocks if your retreating in tight tunnels as well.

But overall i love the versatility and wickedness that the necromancy side of the tree gives, i find it much more immersive when roleplaying a dark caster and although the dead thrall spell has its issues and bugs i think when its been fully patched up by Bethesda it will become more popular.

Taking the necromage perk from restoration bumps up the level cap of dead thrall to 50 allowing you to permanently reanimate some of the big guns in the game and you can start playing with different thrall combinations to see who causes the most chaos!

Orchendur and Malkoran are my favourite two thralls, Orchendur teleports all over the place during combat and if Malkoran dies his shade spawns and starts pummeling foes evily!

The only problem with mage thralls is they tend to turn on your companion. I sometimes use the conjure familiar spell to un-summon minions or if you have some skill in destruction you can simply cast a flame cloak which cancels the re-animation.

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:27 PM EDT

I havent even touched on the necro stuff yet I think I will develop some with this evil character but no where near the level your talking about here Mason. Its the skills I struggle to use the most not sure why Ive just never got into it before. But what your saying sounds v interesting.

• 739 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:50 PM EDT

Its a completely different style of play Guy but very rewarding, its probably worth waiting for a new playthrough and then running a dedicated necromancer if you want to fully embrace the experience and roleplay properly.

Perfect for a high elf if you haven't used one yet.

• 133 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:09 PM EDT

This sounds great. I'd like to try that playstyle, though not with my dunmer character, who despises necromancy. I never played a necromant, and never used a conjure undead spell, and I feel it's already time to deal with the undead.

• 80 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:34 PM EDT

So far, I refuse to allow me character to make any major mistakes. I generally save every few minutes, particularly in battle, so that if I die, I reset to a point very nearly where I was.  I refuse to let followers die, particularly since I know there is almost no way they can die except by friendly fire.  This is the way I have played Lucy, as I have insisted that she have a happy ending.  As a result, Lucy has become boring, despite the fact that she is now getting some really cool perks.  Just recently, I finally turned the difficulty up.  

I just posted a new post based on a save in which Durz died.  Late last night, I realized the horror of that particular scene, and decided I should have kept it.  With my next play through, I intend to play dead is dead on extreme difficulty and play a character who is not a hero, much like Razellas.  I was thinking of Imperial Surveyor, his goal being to survey the boundaries of Skyrim, and the challenge being, how far can he make it without dying?

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:41 PM EDT

Sweet thats a top idea. Should be a good challenge aswell especially early on. I did go through a phase of doing things similar to you when I first had Lydia in my first playthrough but I got sick of having to reload because she kept dying.

• 80 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:49 PM EDT

Since I went to Master, I have found myself using up all my health potions, and having to run out of a fight to heal up.  For the first time, I am really glad I have a high restoration level.

• 739 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:51 PM EDT

Companions are 'stuck' at the level you originally recruited them at, good old Lydia is my favourite companion so i tend to wait till at least level 15ish before i take her on (you can sneak past her or exit dragonsreach through the back door) then i deck her out in some good armor and she's good to go. The adept level destruction spells are the worst choice for a character who likes having a companion, i've lost count of the times i've blown her to pieces due to her running in while i'm charging a big one!

• 426 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:54 PM EDT

Ahhhh I didn't know that. Lol yeah she got toasted by me when I was using wall of flames and shock. I found her under a pile draugr lol That was enough lol

• 133 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:56 PM EDT

The problem of building a non hero character is that perk trees ore almost exclusively oriented to combat abilities. Even craft perk trees like alchemy, smithing and enchanting are ultimately biased to combat. The only purely non combat perk tree in the game is speech (as pickpocktet and loccksmithing are unworthy of mention). Some people in character building are trying a build on a pacifist character but, with vanlla rules I'm betting that's not a real possibility. About Razzelas, that was a complex character, but remember he was played only to level 7. You will have a hard time trying to level up a character without fighting.

• 708 posts
    April 2, 2012 4:09 PM EDT

I do have to heal fairly often, since hits to my shield still do quite significant damage. It's probably a good thing since ducking out for a quick fast heal or two allows you to reasses to terrain and possibly other enemies so you can come back in with an advantage. The only time I've chugged potions is when fighting 3 vampy fledglings and a master vampire at level 8.

• 739 posts
    April 2, 2012 4:12 PM EDT

Actually pacifist builds level remarkably well!

Illusion levels very fast when you are constantly fearing/calming everything you come across, restoration also levels quickly when casting turn undead and constantly having to heal yourself due to not dispatching enemies. Then whatever armor skill you take will be taking many more hits than normal due to constantly trying to avoid death.

Check out this video if you havent already: FELIX

• 133 posts
    April 2, 2012 4:22 PM EDT

I've watched the video. I stand corrected. It's really possible to use illusion to level up pacifist characters. We lack only the proper questlines for them.

• 856 posts
    April 2, 2012 4:34 PM EDT

I sprint a lot... and use food/potions to keep my stamina up until I get away (but I keep my stamina at the starting 100, unless I add a few points for rp purposes.  I've even taken off my armor to help my speed.