Forums » Elder Scrolls

Sticking with a character.

• 12 posts
    March 27, 2012 12:44 PM EDT

I for one have a problem with not being happy with any of my Skyrim characters. I have over 10+ characters of every race but I'm not satisfied with any of them. Do you have any ideas to help me stick with a single character? How do you stick with a character? 

• 75 posts
    March 27, 2012 12:55 PM EDT

I had the same problem, try setting role-playing restrictions for your character (part 1 of my blog has some that I use), and maybe start a journal to flesh him/her out and keep you interested. 

The blog also has a Character Building group that can help if you find yourself at a loss for playstyle ideas, and a Challenges group if you just need to take a break from dungeon delving.

• March 27, 2012 2:04 PM EDT

No mods?

Let me clarify, don't use overpowered, non-lorefriendly/unrealistic mods. Use mods like Realistic Lighting, some weapon mods are good, roleplaying mods, fixes, etc.

Lol, getting mods is one of the key factors in sticking with a character and Skyrim itself. Try getting mods that will suit 1 character. Like a mod that adds a certain retexture, maybe the throwing knife mod for an assassin.

But anyway, he doesn't even play on PC XD

• 577 posts
    March 27, 2012 2:11 PM EDT

What's missing when you play one of your characters? You sound like maybe you want to be baddass in ALL of the perk trees. Obvious that's not possible. Do you get bored real quick? Do you feel that certain races are only allowed to do certain quests?

I have only one main character that has done everything and I don't mind playing like that. Although I do have some regret not making a character for each of the questlines, Theives, College, DarkB, Companions, etc. That's only cause I usually play as a "yes man". If I'm asked to help out, I'll go ahead and help them, whether it's not "appropiate" due to role-playing aspects (that may help since I don't really role-play, so it's easier for me to keep one character and become attatched to him). I got too excited when Skyrim came out to never have that problem of leaving Riverwood and start over and over again or make tons of characters. I create one character on how I like to play and roll with it.

10+ characters and not satisfied? hmmm....yeah your best bet is role-playing I guess. Not sure what exact satisfaction you're looking for. If you can't find anything in any of the characters you have, maybe Skyrim doesn't speak to you.

• 82 posts
    March 27, 2012 2:30 PM EDT

If you need some ideas for player archetypes, check out Ponty's character builds.  Helps to kind of build some roleplaying. 

• 856 posts
    March 27, 2012 6:37 PM EDT

I, too, have many characters (c. 20 still living) - some sneak, some use magick, some dual-wield, etc. etc.  I switch based on my mood.  I don't see anyting wrong with switching - I am happy with them. 

One thing I do to keep my interest is setting goals for a character.  One may do MQ, while another concentrates on the mage's guild, one is a storm cloak, while another is an imperial.  And goals don't have to be quest related (my first character's goal was to become a master blacksmith - she met that goal, and I retired her).  I think the goal helps me both role-play, and keeps me interested in the character, at least until the goals are met.

• 773 posts
    March 27, 2012 7:09 PM EDT

Try writing a character backstory

It might help you to care enough about a character to want to keep them long term

• 98 posts
    April 3, 2012 9:11 AM EDT

I have the same problem i have about 12 characters but i have the most problems deciding between my Khajiit Mage and Argonian Nighting-gale.