Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dawnguard or Volkihar?

• 24 posts
    June 9, 2015 11:53 PM EDT

***SPOILERS***

As some of you may or may not know, Skyrim has a DLC known as Dawnguard. It basically lets you choose between a ruthless, blood-thirsty, organizingly, savage clan of some of the most oldest and deadliest vampires branding themselves the Volikhar Clan, and a group of people almost as old as the Volkihar Clan famously named the Dawnguard, an assembly of the more hardened, veteran vampire hunters. More than your common squabble of pitchforks and torches, whereas the Dawnguard uses crossbows and special weapons especially deadly to vampires in particular. Anyhow...

During my awesome adventure, I've had the privileged of choosing both sides on two different chars. I like them both but if I were given the choice to ride into battle with one group, I'd choose the Dawnguard. Mainly because they're just too awesome! Yes, the vampires do in fact give you the Vampire Lord power, an ability probably even better than the werewolves themselves (Which was pretty badass too). So I'm asking you, which side would you choose to spend eternity with (No pun intended)? The ravaging vampire menace, or the hard-packed vampire hunters, just getting pack on their feet after so long?

-B  

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:00 AM EDT

Vampire.

Not even a second guess.

• 24 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:04 AM EDT

Even with the curse of the sun and the hunger for blood for... like... forever? 

• 95 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:38 AM EDT

My personal choice: Volkihar Vampire

Reason: The Volkihar Vampire clan may be the most ruthless, organized and deadly. This is the reason why. I prefer to be ruthless yet organized. Feeding on people? More power for me! Turning people into Vampires? Why not! That just means after I turn them, I kill them! If my character's wife is a housecarl (eg. Lydia) then after using Wabbajack to scale her stats, give her a giant's club, kill her then the Necromage perk could be used along with Dead Thrall to bring her back to life. That would just be insane!

• 24 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:49 AM EDT

*Laughs* Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but the lust of blood and the desire to kill out of sport just doesn't sate my interest as much as a role for a reason to kill. They're undead. So I kill them. But it is damn fun to be a vampire! 

• 113 posts
    June 10, 2015 12:49 AM EDT

Dawngaurd!

Death to any Vampire who dares to take arms against the citizens of Skyrim!

• 1467 posts
    June 10, 2015 1:16 AM EDT

Benefits of joining Dawnguard: Umm, Troll Companions, easier to kill Vampires (Which already are pretty easy, spam fire). Oh and Crossbows, well Dwarven Crossbows and explosive Bolts, the basic stuff can be found pretty easily. 

Benefits of joining Volkihar: Ability to heal your undead minions, two of the best Rings for any Vampire (The Ring of the Beast and the Ring of the Erudite are boss as all hell) Vampire Lord form, access to easy thralls and potions of blood. Curse of the Ancients or whatever (Your Blood Drain saps Stamina and Magicka as well) and Death Hound pets (which are boss)

So from a gameplay perspective it's simply better to join the Volkihar, other then that Isran is kind of an ass and none of the characters are interesting enough on either side so it's really upto Gameplay for me. The Volkihar are more interesting and they never delved deep enough into the Background and Lore of the Dawnguard to interest me. 

• 1483 posts
    June 10, 2015 7:53 AM EDT

Plus you can repair Castle Volkihar 

• 295 posts
    June 10, 2015 8:22 AM EDT

I like the Dawnguard more, just because I usually play Paladin type characters more, but will admit, Volkihar side is very fun too, especially for a no crafting build. 

I try not to think about the plotholes too much when I play though and just enjoy the Soul Cairn and the Forgotten Vale. 

• 95 posts
    June 10, 2015 4:59 PM EDT

Ahahaha, my good friend. But Vampirism can be an Undead Slayer's greatest weapon! Why, I have been running a "Paladin" based off of Vampirism! 

• 237 posts
    June 10, 2015 6:25 PM EDT

Honestly?

It mostly depends on which items I want during a playthrough, sadly.  I blame Teccam for introducing me to the addicting drink that is Ring of the Erudite!

• 237 posts
    June 10, 2015 6:26 PM EDT

Nyte Blayde

"Feel the dark"

• 7 posts
    June 10, 2015 9:09 PM EDT

I don't own Dawnguard yet. But so far I'm really looking forward to the Armored Trolls, the Aetherial Crown, Red Water Den, and Arvark. From what I understand, the Vokihar don't really have that evil of a plan, Incredibly Stupid and Unreasonable from the people who you'd think be smart enough to know basic Agricultural needs, and it's mostly their side goals that would really put them on track as Evil. The Dawnguard people just seem like Jerks in general though. Vampirism seems like a great way to maintain Immortality if you can control it and I'm a bit tempted to become one after doing their Questline just so I my Dragonborn can help people way longer than Akatosh wanted me to.

• 95 posts
    June 10, 2015 9:26 PM EDT

Hahaha, EXACTLY!