Forums » Elder Scrolls

Does anyone else despise the loading screens?

• 24 posts
    June 7, 2015 10:04 PM EDT

So I'm sitting there, in the Ratway, sipping an iced cola. I'm sitting... I'm sitting... I'm sitting... and I'm still sitting. "All I want is to get into the Ragged Flagon," I'd say. And I find myself sitting there for almost 25 minutes when finally it enters and my game freezes. Ugh! I could just scream! Does anyone else have this problem? By golly, I know I do. And I hate it.

-B

• 41 posts
    June 7, 2015 10:17 PM EDT
    I've never had particularly long loading screens (barring normal long loading when starting up from the main menu). Are you on PC? If you are, I'd assume mods are responsible somehow.

For me, the annoyance is mostly the fact that I've seen every loading screen about fifty-two thousand times. If I was on PC I'd download one of those mods that adds new loading screens in a heartbeat.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    June 7, 2015 10:33 PM EDT

Never had long loading screens. Actually, I like those brief ones. They allow me to check up on my phone.

• 24 posts
    June 7, 2015 10:48 PM EDT

*Laugh* Yeah. I play on console. The only time I get hyped up is when something like the Volikhar loading screens show up. You know, the one where the vampire is pointing at solely nothing. But anyhow, that was just another thing I wanted to get off of my chest.  

• C-1
    • 1 posts
    June 8, 2015 6:09 AM EDT

I also play on console (Xbox 360). I have never had a problem with loading screens. The only problem that happens is every once in awhile the game will softlock or hardlock at one. Easily fixable by resetting.

• 203 posts
    June 8, 2015 10:40 AM EDT

I had this problem on my 360 save. In fact it was the main reason for me to switch over to PC. I was really fed up with having to wait half an hour (yeah, measured it) to get through a door. Quite the horrific experience indeed. How far is your character? I've been told it's some kind of bloating/corruption issue that normally only happens to high level characters with a lot of hours poured into them.

• 694 posts
    June 8, 2015 10:59 AM EDT

I can't stand it. I'm on my PS3 (computer undergoing massive overhaul right now) and sometimes it takes so long. I've turned off pretty much all autosaving (except for once every 15 minutes) AND deleted a bunch of data from other old games to make room on the system. It helps some. But it can definitely be irksome.

• 201 posts
    June 8, 2015 12:17 PM EDT
    I do too, I hate it. I sometimes have these "loading screens of death" Where the game freezes while in a loading screen.
    • 485 posts
    June 8, 2015 12:38 PM EDT
    I suppose you could call it ironic, but I only ever get those when I have just died.
    • 694 posts
    June 8, 2015 1:47 PM EDT

I get these as well. Every time the loading screen shows up for just a liiiiittle to long, I start to panic. 

• 201 posts
    June 8, 2015 1:59 PM EDT
    There was one loading screen where it loaded ALL DAY LONG and never came on. It sucked, because I was about to go kill Ancano. :(
    • 24 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:04 PM EDT

Yeah, my main character is 75. That's probably the reason. 

• 24 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:05 PM EDT

Exactly.

• 24 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:06 PM EDT

That's what ruins some of my gameplay.

• 24 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:06 PM EDT

Ancano? I love that guy!

• 739 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:09 PM EDT

I don't mind it so much when fast travelling or moving around the world map but in a city it just gets too much...

The loading screens stop me wanting to explore all the nooks of the holds properly because my patience runs out. It's the same when it comes to shopping at merchants as well, combined with Skyrims dodgy economy the dreaded loading screen tends to find me dropping a bunch of expensive loot in the middle of the street rather than risk opening a merchants door...

• 201 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:09 PM EDT
    Do you LIKE Ancano, or do you like fighting him, he seems like he is a Mannimarco wannabe
    • 145 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

I had a glitch on PC where it wouldn't load at all! It would just stay on the loading screen forever. Needless to say, I had to reinstall Skyrim :P

• 694 posts
    June 8, 2015 2:54 PM EDT

^Oof. This makes me sad.  I know the feeling though. Once I dared to go into Arnleif and Sons, and somehow LYDIA managed to bungle a hand off of about 9 dragon bones. Sigh. Of course. By the time I realized they were missing just a couple minutes later, I went back into the store and found them magically lying all over the on the ground. When I went to pick them up,  "STEAL" came up in red letters. Better restart the system to be safe, wait til nightfall, break in, steal them, AND track down that Markarth fence. All for something that was mine to begin with! Lovely.

• 113 posts
    June 8, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

I like'em but they needed more information. Lore information. Not fauna, and flora, and stupid Mer people.

Jk, I don't mind them one bit. Every game has a loading issue so I came to terms with it back in the days of TES4.

• 1483 posts
    June 8, 2015 3:20 PM EDT

Perks of playing on a PC - the only time I experienced long loading screens was when I modded the game so much that it crushed after a few minutes of playing 

• 24 posts
    June 8, 2015 4:37 PM EDT

I like Altmer, period. They're interesting.