Forums » Elder Scrolls

Shouting your way to the bank

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 2:18 PM EST

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has tried, or if it is even possible to play the entire game, using only shouts, like a true grey beard...Also, what specs would be greatest? considering there isn't really anything for shouts...Would you go down light armor heavy armor? robes? and would sneaking abilities come to use? like pickpocketing, sneaking, etc. :D
    Just lemme know what you guys are thinking of on this ;DDD
    (Also how would you defeat a dragon to unlock more shouts?) 

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 2:24 PM EST

Hmmmm....I can only think of companions killing the dragons but that'd be sooo time consuming and dragon fights would be drawn out...Hmmm... :P
    I can't think of how to do this without using console D: 

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 2:28 PM EST

Good idea :DDD

• February 27, 2012 2:44 PM EST

If your on PC use the command to allow you to shout faster.

• 80 posts
    February 27, 2012 2:51 PM EST

How would you get along before you kill that first dragon?  Would you just be an observer until then?  Running, sneaking, hiding and looting other people's kills? 

• 14 posts
    February 27, 2012 5:16 PM EST

I would be tempted to run the character as someone who relied on conventional skills until they travelled to High Hrothgar and had a life changing experience. The character didn't restrict themselves to using the Voice if they had no idea that they could use it. If they aren't native to Skyrim, they may have never even heard of it.

Another idea (not exactly exclusive) would be that the character always knew they were different but didn't know why until they felt a connection to the dragon at Helgen. After Helgen, the character becomes fixated on tracking down a dragon. Standard weapons or magic would be understandable for a character in their first fight with a rampaging dragon considering how important it is to them.

Changing the cooldown time for shouts and/or an amulet of Talos would be very helpful.

As far as defense, I'd think of light armored and stealth or heavy armored and blocking. Admittedly, strong block skills and bashing perks would be a loophole for offensive abilities outside of shouts. But it would be fun to lower the shield and really cut loose on the poor bastard who thought he almost had you.

Shouts like animal allegiance or dismay could also be helpful in dealing with mobs. Scatter your enemies with dismay and then pick them off before they can regroup.

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 9:19 PM EST

Hahaha Thankyou so much Bruma this was awesome to read :DDD

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 9:22 PM EST

Indeed haha :DDD
    Yeah Amulet of Talos is surprisingly easy to find :)) I wish there were enchants for shout times..or a perk tree y'know? haha :D 
    And well yeah...Ntm you can get shout of valor and odahviing :DDD
    Alduin may be time consuming though ;DD :P 

• 14 posts
    February 27, 2012 9:58 PM EST

1) Go on a pilgrimage to pray at every Shrine of Talos in Skyrim. No fast travel, you need to walk the whole thing. Open the console and reward yourself with an Amulet of Talos.

2) Now that your character knows where they are, you can go get the blessing of talos as often as possible.

• 14 posts
    February 27, 2012 10:05 PM EST

It was a fun experiment considering that my first thought was, "What?! That's crazy."

• 25 posts
    February 27, 2012 10:07 PM EST

Hahaha I was thinking about this since the game came out and idk I just felt the need to post something about it xDDD I might try it now :DDD

• 25 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:14 AM EST

^Smart ;D

• 773 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:40 AM EST

I want to see Ponty or Mason make a Character Build from this 

• 739 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:54 AM EST

You could maybe use one of the passive builds i posted a month or two ago and just throw in shouts on top of one of them.

Heres the link to three variations: Passives

• 9 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:55 AM EST

oooh, this will be very interesting indeed.

Block and Restoration is a must for good survival though. heavy armor will be better than light for survival too...

having a Dog and a Companion will help. not to mention getting some of the key shouts first...

• 773 posts
    March 1, 2012 8:13 AM EST

Hmmmm, I like the idea of a 'Shout Summoner'

I'm thinking 100% summoning for weapons, armour and summoned minions. A bit of Illusion and Alteration thrown in for crowd control. And Restoration for Healing

Of course the task is focused on obtaining the Shouts as quickly as possible, so it would be important not to get sidetracked. 

One relative downside is having to progress the main quest to get some of Shouts

Whats the best race for a Summoner?

• 9 posts
    March 1, 2012 8:18 AM EST

shout summoner?

wont this once again water down the build to a conjurer/necromancer type of build with shouts on the side?

if the whole point is to have shouts as the main offence then heavy armor/block/resto is the way to go

illusion may be acceptable.

having a dog, a follower and maybe that lucien will be nice, but other summons kinda just water down the build me thinks.

just summon dremora lords or an atronach and its no different from a conjuration char.

• 426 posts
    March 1, 2012 8:57 AM EST

I think I would wait to see if they release a shout skill tree in dlc. That could make it a much more viable character build. Other than that I think I agree with paul, you will need to have other skills to be able to build up your shouts. Otherwise it will just take ages to make any ground with this character.

Extremely interesting idea though

• 739 posts
    March 1, 2012 9:09 AM EST

These points are very true thrall, but the journey to getting twin dremora would be very interesting (if a little slow paced) for someone like paul who likes to take his time and roleplay your talking weeks till he gets to that point in conjuration.

There is no reason why Paul couldnt use a combination of both ideas.

Ie) A heavily armored breton with a shield and conjuration/restoration in the main hand with shouts being his only direct damage source...

• 9 posts
    March 1, 2012 10:59 AM EST

true.

i was thinking of a nord male with battle cry (which would help a lot in the beginning) and shouts with resto/illusion - heavyarmor/block - unarmed attacks etc... getting the first shout words for unrelent/fire/ice/markd for death etc... are fairly easy.

• 773 posts
    March 1, 2012 11:38 AM EST

Indeed. I was thinking of a backstory that meant that my character had some kind of a deep seated aversion to using Destruction magic. Maybe he had accidentally killed his sister with a misfiring Flame spell, and that had made him philosophically opposed to ever using Destruction magic again?

Without ANY Destruction magic, offensive forays would be conjured minions only + stuff like calm, fury, paralyse - at least until Shouts were available

Could be an interesting idea 

• March 1, 2012 11:43 AM EST

Paul, for this character you should get the necromancy mod so you can summon 6 skellies at a time at higher levels. I think it might make your playthrough really cool.

Up to you, that might not be exactly what you are thinking.

• 773 posts
    March 1, 2012 11:45 AM EST

Got a link for that, Julian? 

• March 1, 2012 12:29 PM EST

I searched it up on Skyrim Nexus but it wasn't there. I got it on the Skyrim Workshop.

Type in "Necromancer Class" That's the exact name.

But be warned, it adds more than just skellies if that's gonna turn you off. You can also learn to summon skeletal dragons, and a good few others. I haven't played with it yet but I plan to today.

• 144 posts
    March 1, 2012 6:39 PM EST

i don't know man, shouts to me are purely supplementary and simply don't produce the power needed to apply them in such a way.