Forums » Elder Scrolls

Assassin of mages.

• February 3, 2014 2:22 PM EST

(If this is the wrong forum, I apology)

Hello gamers!

(This has a TL:DR at the end.)

I actually need your help with some thoughts. Let me explain:

I have this thing going against mages, specially the illegal ones. I just can't stand those fireballs and whatnot coming from people in dresses (it's a joke, I'm not sexist =P) This comes from a rivalry IRL with someone who is a pro-mage. When I discovered the Dragon Age series I was so happy to be a templar and hunt those robes. 

My problem with Skyrim is that there are no archetypes (that's good, I'm very indesicive) so I am not sure what type of template use to make the perfect "mage slayer." I even tried researching real life events and found that the most suitable would be either a warrior from the church (templar-esque/paladin) or a guy in black coat Van Helsing style.

TL:DR

Mages, witches, warlocks, etc. What kind of character is best suited from a RP standpoint to kill magic users?

A holy warrior in his inquisition or a brave guy in a black coat with blessed projectiles?

• February 3, 2014 2:38 PM EST

Thank you!

I shall punish all those sparkly dresses! >=D

I still would like other's opinions but the inquisitor sounds amazing! I just can't decide who would have an edge against evil.

• 47 posts
    February 3, 2014 2:46 PM EST

Theres the Witch Hunter build and the Demon Hunter build (most popular build on the sight)

However these don't relate to your request (other then the fact they hunt mages) A warrior of the church (paladin) build to try is Ponty's Paladin, also check out the Paths of the Paladin to see if theres any path you specifically like.

I know where your coming from, despite my love of magic, playing a mage hunter in Skyrim is so fun!!

This request might be best suited for the build recommendation discussion

• February 3, 2014 2:53 PM EST

All you guys are awesome! You just created a monster in his inquisition! 

I didn't knew there was a forum for recommendations, please excuse me, I will research better the forums now or If I can move this thread to it, I will.

About the inquisitor, yeah, I might be a bit hypocrite if I do use the dress, but the dress reference is more a sexist joke going with my rival friend than a fact and the build looks plain awesome.

I loved the demonhunter and just by remembering Van Helsing I feel that the plate armor guy is not as cool. Then again the holy warrior has better defenses than just weapons for dealing with magic. That was mostly my problem. 

• 194 posts
    February 3, 2014 3:04 PM EST

Lore standpoint? Not too sure, probably the archer assassin that headshots a mage before they know who's there...

From a gameplay standpoint, any player who achieves 100% spell absorption... Especially an archer assassin who does so. Heh...

• February 3, 2014 3:07 PM EST

Damn Theodorus! You don't help with my indecisiveness haha!

Yes! a good headshot never gets old! Specially if it was against an evil witch and the projectile was blessed and boom! Desintegrate!

• 61 posts
    February 3, 2014 4:35 PM EST

There is literally a character class in Oblivion called "The Witch Hunter", on of the strongest builds and perfect for taking down mages, more of the Van Helsing type than the Templer though. He uses a bow to take down the wizards from afar, so he doesn't have to risk getting hit, and summons atronachs to soak up all teh mages damage

• February 3, 2014 5:07 PM EST

Yes! I checked that guide also.

I have mixed feelings as I like both of those archetypes of characters and simply cannot decide. Already tried both and still undecided.

-Magic must be purged!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    February 3, 2014 11:40 PM EST

Why not mix? Roll a heavy armor archer/2-hander with some alchemy or restoration.

You get the knight feel of a Templar with the archery skills of a witch hunter. Stand toe-to-toe with werewolves, undead, and magi as they hide in their holes of profanity, while retaining the ability to safely hunt down and expose them without risking injury from their fireballs and lightning bolts.

• February 4, 2014 3:25 PM EST

Quite indeed Tom!

I've been doing both archery and two-handed and planned enchanting instead of alchemy; but have not wasted perks yet! (I really want to lean towards one archetype because I think it's not working )

I know I'm not helping, but this issue is really, REALLY bugging me. Literally torn appart. For one, the plate armor dude is brave standing toe-to-toe but "the hunter in coat" is really badass.

This never happened before this game because there is always only one clas/job/speciality for this and that is the paladin/templar etc. But after reading about the Salem Witch Trials, watching Van Helsing starring Hugh Jackman and dat Hellsing Ultimate anime (that's why I use Alexander Anderson as my avatar.) I do not know what I want! (Except for purging magic from Earth and that I will RP as a mad zealot.)

Too much role-play, I know, I would like to move this thread to the RP section since this post in the wrong part, it might make someone angry.

• February 4, 2014 4:00 PM EST

If all this can be done regardless of the weapon it looks awesome! Exactly the bonuses I was looking for!

I thank you very much Overhate!