Forums » General Gaming

Our most anticipated games in 2012

• 773 posts
    January 20, 2012 4:37 AM EST

Over the New Year we had a poll on 2012 game releases. We gave you a 'shortlist' of nine scheduled releases and invited you to pick your 'most anticipated'

The way that I'm going to deal with this poll result is a bit different. A whopping 390 of you voted for 'Skyrim DLC' - almost half of the people who participated in the poll. By far, this was the most popular answer, which shows just how excited the readers of this site are for the forthcoming DLC. I guess that would hardly be a surprise on 'The Skyrim Blog'....

So what I have done is to take the results for Skyrim DLC and presented the results for non-Elder Scrolls releases, which results in a much closer and more interesting poll. So here goes...

A couple of interesting features. We see that Mass Effect 3, due out in March, was the clear victor (at least once Skyrim DLC was omitted). It seems that a whole bunch of you are stoked to conclude the Mass Effect trilogy and finish the story arc of Commander Shepherd.

The long awaited and often-delayed Diablo 3 was beaten out of second place by Grand Theft Auto V. Who knows whether the Blizzard title will eventually live up to expectations?

And also note that the two 'traditional' open world RPG games - Risen 2 and Kingdoms of Amalur trailed in at the bottom of the poll. Perhaps we crave something that little bit different having sated our appetites with Skyrim?

So what do you make of this poll result?

• 739 posts
    January 20, 2012 4:52 AM EST

Yes, what is going on with Diablo 3?? I saw gameplay videos for it over a year ago but still no release. Weirdness!

• 577 posts
    January 20, 2012 8:34 AM EST

Actually my most anticipated game is The Witcher 2 for the console...bigtime.

• 426 posts
    January 20, 2012 8:37 AM EST

Tbh since Skyrim has been out Ive lost all touch with whats due out in 2012 I really dont have a idea other than mass effect 3. But after reading Ty's post Ive heard of The Witcher and its supposed to be top so I will be looking forward to that aswell. Bit of a quiet year I think, as long as we get plenty of Skyrim DLC I will be a happy pig in shit lol

• 577 posts
    January 20, 2012 8:48 AM EST

Yeah, it's one of PC gamers little secrect. ha! I played the first one on PC back when my computer could handle it (barely) and throughly enjoyed it. I bought not knowing what to expect and it was quite a gem. Look up the second one, reviews, etc. It should blow console gamers away! I was going to write a thread about Skyrim vs. The Witcher2 on role-playing. TW2's role-playing is more in the lines of decisions you make through dialog, which to me, is ideal.

• 426 posts
    January 20, 2012 8:55 AM EST

Yeah I heard about it a while back but my mind has been in the Skyrim haze for a couple of months now lol Im def looking forward to it. Its supposed to be much more mature and graphic less disney more adult. I shall be partaking me thinks.

• 577 posts
    January 20, 2012 9:07 AM EST

Skyrim haze, you say!? ugh...tell me about it. It's hard to get out of it. ME3 should break me out. Tbh, it's hard for me with any games these days. I would be more than happy with every game to be like Fallout/TES style play, just with different stories, characters, and settings. That's just me though.

• 426 posts
    January 20, 2012 9:17 AM EST

I hear that, I noticed the other day how much my taste in game has changed over the years most of the games on my shelf are bethesda or another rpg of somesort. I do still enjoy the classic FPS none of this multiplayer rubbish though. I really enjoyed Rage and reccommend it to anyone.

• 132 posts
    January 20, 2012 10:04 AM EST

I'm still waiting for the mass effect 3 multiplayer demo to come out, according to the ad in the Battlefield 3 box it's supposed to come out this month. I'm not surprised that GTA is up at the top, there has been and always will be an audience for that kind of game.

Kingdoms of Amalur probably suffers from lack of exposure, I hadn't even heard of it before the poll went up. Bioshock infinite has been pushed back WAY too far, people have probably lost a lot of interest in it. Diablo 3 attracts the PC crowd exclusively, which only makes up a certain percentage of the people on this site, so there was no way it was going to be first. I'm surprised it did as well as it has, TBH.

Most people will agree that Assassin's Creed is a good game, but few will call it the BEST game. All the story madness that happened after AC2 hasn't helped either.

I would have predicted a toss-up between GTA and ME3 to win this poll, I'm surprised ME3 won by as much as it did. I know I'm psyched, the voice command videos almost make you want a Kinect just for that :D

• 28 posts
    January 20, 2012 10:31 AM EST

Well now that we come back to this topic, I think my answer to this question definitly changed! (My poll vote was for Assassin's Creed =p I wanted to pick something other than the DLC)

Now that I've had some time to think about it, the two games I'm most excited for (besides Skyrim DLC of course) would be Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3!

• 14 posts
    January 20, 2012 1:18 PM EST
    GTA V for me. I am looking forward to that so much. I know at least a few people on here probably disagree. As William said, there will always be an audience for a that kind of game. He's right in a way, there will always be those less than casual gamers who buy the game because 'everyone' has it. For me, I don't really care what other people think, GTA IV was, in my opinion, one of the most artistic games I've played (I can imagine a lot of you shaking your heads reading that). The level of realism, the character of the city, the characters in the city, how into the game I could get combined with it's "pick up and play" value and also the satire. I'm looking forward to that all being worked upon again for GTA V.
    • 856 posts
    January 20, 2012 1:54 PM EST

Doubt I will get anything other than DLC (until FO:4).  I play rpg games almost exclusively (discounting board/card games); so if I was to try anything it would be either 'Risen 2' or 'Kingdoms of Amalur'.  Anybody know anything about them (first saw the titles here).

• 952 posts
    January 20, 2012 5:49 PM EST
    Lol, the only vote Risen 2 got is from me, I played the first one and I got to say that it's an undisovered masterpiece. Risen 1 wasn't the longest game if you look at the main story but it was way better, exciting and even more challenging than Skyrims. I recommend anyone to try it. Great game, a bit difficult but totally worth it.
    • 8 posts
    January 20, 2012 6:57 PM EST

I'm surprised that Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite were near the bottom. Those are two huge releases for the coming months! Okay so I am biased because I happened to be a Borderlands addict for quite a while, but to have some new fresh Borderlands missions will be great! And Bioshock, has some great story lines and after seeing a sneak peak of the game on Spike I'm pretty excited for it's release

But I have to agree, Mass Effect 3 deserves to be at the top of the list. It's pretty much the best of the list. 

So many people are excited about the Witcher 2 release. I haven't played the first one yet but now I want to after checking it out 

• 1 posts
    January 20, 2012 10:17 PM EST

i am saddened that Amalur got so low :(. I've played the demo and the world is simply beautiful. The story was crafted by R.A Salvatore, on of my favorite authors of all time, and one of the designers took part in Oblivion. Its gonna be a great game. its basically the way fable shouldn't been made, but sadly wasn't.