Forums » General Gaming

Kingdom of Amular, Reckoning

• 577 posts
    January 18, 2012 9:13 PM EST

Does anyone plan on purchasing this game? I'm on the fence and will wait for reviews. Would just like people's thoughts on this game and what they've seen so far.

• 708 posts
    January 18, 2012 9:35 PM EST

I'll play the demo when it comes out to get the bonuses for ME3, I might buy it on a Steam sale later on if it's any good.

• 577 posts
    January 18, 2012 9:40 PM EST

Demo's out now. downloadin' as I write.......

• 708 posts
    January 18, 2012 10:51 PM EST

Thanks for letting me know - Steam only said it was available to pre-purchase! I'm dl'ing the demo now too.

• January 19, 2012 12:12 AM EST

Me also. Never heard of the game so it but I just did a quick search and it sounds interesting.

• 28 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:39 AM EST

Dl'ing as well! Looks pretty interesting!

• 426 posts
    January 19, 2012 4:37 AM EST

Its got some pretty big hitters working on it. One of the lead designers from Oblivion is the creative lead. They have the guy who created spawn advising and a host of others. It looks like they are going all out on the combat. It should be interesting but im expecting it will be a bit of a hack n slash. It doesnt look as good as skyrim but the two styles of game are quite different. Kingdom is def brighter and more colourful

I will probably give it a go but not on release date will wait for a cheaper copy.

• 1 posts
    January 19, 2012 5:20 AM EST

I played the demo and liked it mainly because it's a bit like fable1 which is one of my favorite games outside of the elder scrolls.

• 6 posts
    January 19, 2012 11:20 AM EST
    Just played the demo for PS3. It seems like something I could easily loose myself into. While playing, it seemed like the game took a lot of influence from the Elder Scrolls and Fable series, so a fan of Skyrim might find some fun. I already pre-ordered it and I think that it will be an original, immersive RPG once the final product is in our hands.
    • 773 posts
    January 19, 2012 11:36 AM EST

The 'problem' with this game is for me is that it looks as if it is going to 'feel' too similar to an Elder Scrolls title, but not actually be as good

I watched the Gamespot preview below and everything about it seems like a slightly more hack and slash version of Skyrim. I had the same problem with Two Worlds II. In the end I gave up playing it, because I was just comparing it to Elder Scrolls, and not in a good way....

• 739 posts
    January 19, 2012 11:53 AM EST

Hmmm, looks a bit like Gauntlet 2012 to me. Gameplay looks similar to Dark Alliance 1 & 2, not something that would hold my attention for long. But then, as one member cleverly pointed out to me the other day, i'm an rpg snob. :-)

• 28 posts
    January 19, 2012 11:55 AM EST

I ended up buying Two Worlds 2 this spring because I was getting burnt out with Oblivion and wanted to try something new. But like you I couldn't help but compare it to Elder Scrolls and ended up just playing Oblivion untill Skyrim came out!

I'll give the KoA demo a shot though and see how it goes for me =]

• 577 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:07 PM EST

ehh....Don't know about this one. Played the demo and it actually crashed on me during a fight. Wasn't stoked on that. It was right when I thought this could have potential too.

I'm not a fan of the Fable series and this game tends to lean more that way. This game is a little too "Disney" for me. I perfer more darker games. I will admit the voice acting is good (the tone, not nessecarily the face movement) Character building definatly has an Oblivion feel, looks that is. It's suppose to be "open world" but I didn't get that feeling. It seemed more linear. It is a hack and slash that's pretty smooth. Give it that also.

I was interested on the fact that it had lead designer Ken Rolsten, who did Morrowind and Oblivion.

I don't know. We'll see. Probably will wait on this one. It does have potential though. I/we've been so spoiled by Skyrim and it's hard to play other games sometimes now. Especially in the RPG field. So I'm with you Paul on that. I will get ME3. I can separate the two there. Otherwise, nothing will compete with Skyrim. *They're advertising that it will. Phugh....give me a break.

• 77 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:09 PM EST

Well, no. I've played the demo, and while it did crash on me before I had the time to play through all of it, it's not like Skyrim. It certainly felt unique and different. Although, fair warning to anyone who tries this game: don't be put off by it at first, play for a while, atleast until you get to pick some skills. The combat of the game is boring at first, but I realized that the more you develop your character the more fun it gets. Oh and, this is definately to be played on consoles. I'm a PC gamer myself and found the controls and the menus to be a bit... Bad.

• 577 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:11 PM EST

I did the same with Two Worlds....it blows. haha!! God damn Skyrim and TES games! It's getting harder to enjoy other games!

• January 19, 2012 12:24 PM EST

Lol, the character creation part was totally copied off skyrim. They just had not as customizable options, horrible hair, and different kinds of piercings. But they also had guys that looked like dark elves, nords, war paint, etc.

• 297 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:32 PM EST

kingdom of amular is a very tight competent little game but nothing to the scale of the elderscrolls so hyping up the fact that ken rolstein was involved i think might dissapoint some people but it's free to check out the demo in psn and live and see what you think

• 82 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:52 PM EST

I was also considering this game.  The IGN review in progress did note that the combat was better in KoAR.  I am always gaming on a budget, so the game has to have 100+ hours of playing for me to even consider it, which it seems it does.  I have not tried the demo yet but will this weekend.  Skyrim is a great game but I wouldn't mind a different sort of RPG experience once in awhile.  One of the articles I read about KoAR was that the gameplay was like Skyrim meets God of War.  Is that hype?  or from what you've seen you would agree?  I'll be checking back to get everyone's perspectives. 

• 773 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:58 PM EST

I'm downloading it on Steam right now, and will give it a spin later....

• 297 posts
    January 19, 2012 12:59 PM EST

to be honest the combat is very accesible <=spelt wrong lol,moves from live action to cutscenes in parts theres nothing wrong with it but nothing new either

• 77 posts
    January 19, 2012 1:25 PM EST

Right, because as soon as there's dark elves in a game it has to be a rip off of skyrim...

You do realize dark elves have been used in a myriad of games right?

• January 19, 2012 1:28 PM EST

Yeah I know, I just thought it was hilarious how much that evil dark elf guy in the first cutscene looked like Divayth Fyr.

• 15 posts
    January 19, 2012 2:04 PM EST

I'm only downloading it  for the stuff you get in mass effect 3

• 577 posts
    January 19, 2012 4:05 PM EST

yeah, that's a bonus. If anything, do it for that. haha!!

• 6 posts
    January 19, 2012 5:56 PM EST

I think the game is going to be great the demo has bugs but that is because the demo is based off a months old build of the game. I really liked the combat which is definitly a strong focus of the game but it also has alot of interesting lore. I liked the graphics of the world and characters which is a break from the darker browns and greys most games seem to be going for recently, though i understand thats really up to your personal preferences. 

Every one keeps comparing it to skyrim which i don't understand except for the lockpicking and crime system, can someone explain what comparisions people are making between the two? Personaly i find it more comparable to fable.