Forums » Elder Scrolls

sword and board question

• 24 posts
    October 6, 2013 3:49 PM EDT
    When you play sword and board do you prefer 1st or 3rd person view? Also I am going to be using restoration. Do you swap spells with your shield or your weapon?
    • 409 posts
    October 6, 2013 3:54 PM EDT
    The first person or third person thing is personal preference. I personally swap out my shield when I heal but I could see why you would swap out the sword instead.
    • 856 posts
    October 6, 2013 4:27 PM EDT

1st person. Swap with weapon (if I am wounded and need to heal, I would like to keep the shield for extra defense).

• 249 posts
    October 6, 2013 4:56 PM EDT

I only swap the shield because hotkeys swap the shield first, at least on 360  

• 24 posts
    October 6, 2013 5:06 PM EDT
    My natural inclination was to swap the shield, but in thinking about it swapping the weapon makes more sense. I don't do a lot of attacking while healing and I can stay relatively well protected.
    • 70 posts
    October 6, 2013 5:12 PM EDT

I prefer 3rd person for any melee style, it gives you a better view of your surroundings and looks better IMO. As for restoration, I always swap out the shield so I can still attack, but start to heal at 1/2 health to avoid dying. If you take your shield off at anything less than 1/2 health, you will probably die.

• 89 posts
    October 6, 2013 6:57 PM EDT

I prefer first person, but then again, I always do. And I generally swap out the weapon, using the shield to bash to buy more time to heal. Works great if combined with the Respite perk.

• 24 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:17 AM EDT
    Another question. For those of you that get the perk quick reflexes, when activated do you shield bash, attack, or dodge then attack?
    • 1483 posts
    October 7, 2013 7:48 AM EDT

I prefer dodging. If timed right you can manage two regular strikes on the enemy and avoid getting hit. You can even go with one power attack, stagger them and proceed with two more quickened strikes while the enemy recovers.

• 249 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:04 AM EDT
    Same^ The only thing I hate about Quick Reflexes is once I get it, Block pretty much stops leveling lol
    • 249 posts
    October 7, 2013 8:49 AM EDT
    I used to but lately I don't have the patience for grinding.
    • 641 posts
    October 7, 2013 4:52 PM EDT

Unless I'm sneaking about caves/ruins I almost always have it in 3rd person. I go to all this trouble making my character and giving him cool armor I atleast want to see him.

• 249 posts
    October 7, 2013 4:54 PM EDT
    Yes! I play third-person as much as I can. Even archers sometimes.