Forums » Elder Scrolls

Become one your characters

• 3 posts
    August 18, 2013 1:35 AM EDT

What if you were somehow magically transported into the Elder Scrolls Universe, you were also allowed to choose one character you had made in the past and gain all their powers. What would you do? Where would you want to live? Would you also embody that character's personality or would you act on your own?

• 291 posts
    August 18, 2013 1:57 AM EDT

Hm.  Well, let's see, if I become Gwaihen, I'm a Green Pact devotee Bosmer, which means I have to eat my foes and only eat meat.  If I become Fadali, I'm a vampire Dunmer who seems to have no trouble with leeching off of Raven Rock's townspeople and killing those she doesn't like (or those whose death will give her personal gain).  If I become Arnau, I'm now suddenly a male (ew), Breton, schizophrenic, and a genocidal serial killer...but I'm also rich and well-connected.

I suppose...of the three...jeez it's kind of pick yer poison here isn't it?  Well, Gwaihen's a good person (most of the time), and of all my characters, she has the most "me" in her.  She's pretty broken, but I think I could repair the damage that's been done to her given time.  I might slack off with the Green Pact a bit in favor of appearing more civilized to the rest of the Empire.  Currently, she doesn't live anywhere.  On that note, I'd be stuck with Valindor, who I like less than Derkeethus as a friend, but I'm sure he's tolerable at times.

Of course, this is all assuming I magically become this character right where I left off with them and their entire life is now mine.  Supposedly, this also means absorbing their memories.  This would fundamentally change who I am, as it would change the character.  I think the result would be a weird blend of both personalities.  Still, she has money, is traveling, and has superior skill with a bow.  I'll take it.

Much better than being a stuffed shirt with a spear and a bucketful of messed up dreams.

• 116 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:43 AM EDT
    The green pact is just something I can't wrap my head around. Its hard for me to accept that the wood elves are carnivorous and even at times are cannabils. To me, the wood elves should be rewarded with the permission to take plants for food and wood for their homes(within strict moderation of course) for their fierce devotion to protect their land. Idk it might just be me but I can't see their god Y'ffre restricting the Bosmer people like that...
    • 74 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:46 AM EDT

Don't you mess with buckets filled with dreams! 

• 291 posts
    August 18, 2013 3:54 AM EDT

But that would be counter productive if the goal is to maintain the wood in a purely wild state.  If you want to look at it another way, Bosmer take on the role of conscious predators in a land where there are many other predators that could easily upset the balance of the local ecosystem.  They do for the wilds what the Altmer wish to do to the rest of civilization: cull populations to ensure the healthiest survive.  In this way, the Bosmer really aren't very far divorced from their cousins to the west.

If the Bosmer were to also take from the forests, then the few herbivores that are in Valenwood, and I do believe there is a shortage of them, would be left with limited food to consume.  So, perhaps this is why the Green Pact is the way it is.  Should Valenwood support an ecosystem that is very carnivore-heavy, then it's necessary for those carnivores to be kept under control should the light herbivore population become extinct.

• 116 posts
    August 18, 2013 2:04 PM EDT
    So what your saying is the Bosmer are like real world wolves, keeping the herbivores population in check while still being dominant over lesser predators? Idk I'm trying to understand this, the Bosmer are one of my favorite races but I guess I don't fully understand the Green Pact
    • 661 posts
    August 18, 2013 2:51 PM EDT

Yes I would. I would become Jasper Kane my Nord Vampire. He is a powerful man. I try my best to handicap him but no matter what he is still my strongest character.

• 147 posts
    August 18, 2013 4:02 PM EDT

I have about 100 characters, so I couldn't even answer this.