Forums » Elder Scrolls

A non-thief in Skyrim's main quest

• 5 posts
    June 19, 2013 1:58 PM EDT

Ok, is there a way to talk to the Cornered Rat without having to pickpocket? My character has a problem with theft, thieves, and assassins & murderers. He wants nothing to do with the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood(yet the only way to get at the DB, that I know, is to murder the orphanage woman).

• 952 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:01 PM EDT

Who is the cornered rat?

• 1 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:06 PM EDT

You mean Esbern? I believe all you have to do, is talk to Brynjolf. I'm fairly certain he doesn't need to gain your trust. If he does, then there is no other way.

• 5 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:07 PM EDT

I have to talk to Brynjolf about a man in the Ratways(the dude behind the reinforced door), but when I failed a persuade, the only option was to do the pickpocket deal. My character is a knight, he hates stealing. I don't even know if I could get my speech high enough to do this without becoming a thief.

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:12 PM EDT

You don't need to talk to Brynjolf at all. Esbern is in the Warrens, the other door, not the reinforced one. You can get to the Ratway without starting anything TG or DB related

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:20 PM EDT

How? Just wait and it's over?

• 952 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:21 PM EDT

Oh yeah, I thought it was the name of a person and not the name of a quest you where talking about.

• 1913 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:24 PM EDT
    you can just head down to where Esbern is... my huntress wasnt a theif and she just headed to Esbern without talking to Brynjolf
    • 1913 posts
    June 19, 2013 2:27 PM EDT
    i waited to the end and they just stood there... waiting... doing nothing...
    • 6 posts
    June 19, 2013 3:08 PM EDT

There's one way, try to get imprisoned while attempting to steal, it worked with me.

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 3:15 PM EDT

Hmm, I tried it and they still stand waiting, lol  Maybe go inside? Switch cells for that to work?

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 3:43 PM EDT

Yeah they all just sit and watch him 

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 3:50 PM EDT

Yeah, doesn't work 

• 1483 posts
    June 19, 2013 4:26 PM EDT

Ah, I see, I don't like using wait feature, but I'll check out Dawnguard instead, the trip there and back will take about that much time 

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2013 1:53 AM EDT

I got my knight to 50 in speech, then finally found and bought the elixir of glibness(making his speech a total of 100). It worked :). First time I ever saw Parthanax, pretty cool :). Now, I'm wondering if killing that devil of a den-mother is the only way to destroy the DB.

• 130 posts
    June 20, 2013 2:14 AM EDT

It is. I've roleplayed through it before though. You go the Arventus Arentino's house because he might know something about the DB you can use to get at them and he should be stopped form performing the evil ritual if he doesn't lead you to the DB. Then he mistakes you for an assassin and you go along with it to stop him from repeating his evil ritual. Then you go to the orphanage just to see what riled him up so much, and find that the owner is such a monster you kill her anyway. Then you return to Arventus to see if a real assassin has hooked up to him, but when he gives you the reward it is clear he hasnt and you leave. Then, because your roleplaying, at some point you sleep, get kidnapped, kill Astrid and destroy the DB. It's not the best roleplay but you have to work with what you have.

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2013 8:32 AM EDT

Sounds good to me, though he is a man of honor, he does have a strong compassion for the downtrodden, and he does have years of experience as a soldier. And he's had at least 3 assassins try him thus far, so there's that extra reason to destroy the DB :).

• 118 posts
    June 20, 2013 10:00 AM EDT
    I just go straight to esbern, never had an issue.
    • 268 posts
    June 20, 2013 12:30 PM EDT
    Just go straight into the Ragged Flagon, then to the Ratway Warrens.