Forums » The Lounge

Your favorite House in ASOIAF (GOT)?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 7, 2013 6:40 PM EDT

Just to know.

And why.

Mine are:

Bolton: Even if they're hated by most of the people (RW), I think they're awesome. I love their historical background, and Roose Bolton is by far my favorite evil character. And Ramsay is cool, but nothing compared to his father. In fact, I think that in the end, Ramsay will mess up with everything his father so perfectly built. (Maybe not THAT perfect)

Martell: They're amazing. The fact that they were the only Kingdom to remain independent from the Targaryen during a long time, and that they were only submitted to the Targaryen House trough a marriage, make them, in my opinion, the most badass House. Besides, there's Doran Martell and his awesome captain, Areo Hotah; Arianne Martell and of course, Oberyn.

Greyjoy: They're cunning, cold, persistent and exceptional sailors. And them being a pirate is a welcome plus.

Baratheon: The true rulers of Westeros. But not in the whole picture (Not anymore, unfortunately). Only Stannis.

Stannis is the true heir to the Iron Throne, like it or not. He's a great militar strategist, and the only one to attend the Night's Watch call, even if he had other intentions. But he's the only one that recognize that being the heir and consequently the true King of Westeros is not a privilege, but a duty.

And come on, between both the Targaryen (Or the Targaryen and the Blackfyre) and Tommen, he's the most capable.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 7, 2013 6:51 PM EDT

I think that she's crazy. I mean, not like her daddy but... The genes, u know?

• 1913 posts
    May 7, 2013 6:55 PM EDT
    I'm with Jo
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 7, 2013 7:50 PM EDT

Ah, que isso. Não precisa. Dispenso spoilers.

Anyway, I don't see her as the true queen, because she doesn't have a pretension that convinces me.

Of course, her crazy daddy was king, and she's a Targaryen and all of that... But, Robert ended all that. And as Stannis is his heir, he has the right to rule.
    I'll only accept that she is the rightful queen when she takes the Iron Throne... By force. Or retakes it, whatever.

• 162 posts
    May 8, 2013 2:47 AM EDT

I'm with Jo too.

Nyke Daenerys Jelmāzmo hen Targārio Lentrot, hen Valyrio Uēpo ānogar iksan. (I am Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, of the blood of Old Valyria.)

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 8, 2013 12:13 PM EDT

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law."

KING Stannis Baratheon;

• 162 posts
    May 8, 2013 1:36 PM EDT

The law is made by the victors, you know.

• 360 posts
    June 1, 2013 6:32 PM EDT
    Fuck the houses
    Valar morghulis
    I dont really like most of the great noble houses, i much prefer the assasins guild: the faceless men Although for king, littlefinger. He would watch the world burn if he could rule the ashes...
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 14, 2013 10:08 AM EST

Robb Stark? Really? He was even dumber in the series than he was in the books.

Now, Roose Bolton, Tywin Lannister and Stannis Baratheon... Those guys.. They're THE guys. (There's also Wyman Manderly and Doran Martell, but they haven't appeared in the series yet)

As for Daenerys, I don't really care with her. She doesn't have any valid claim for the Westeros throne. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 14, 2013 10:28 AM EST

I'd have to make my points again, now that I finished the books. But I'm currently in my lazy status. Also, there's New Vegas.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 14, 2013 10:48 AM EST

Manderly, simply for their excellent pies. "Though mayhaps this was a blessing.  Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

By far, I'd have to say Stark, simply for the loyalty they inspire in their men. Years after their lord is dead, family murdered, and house is in ruins, they march for weeks through a blizzard under a foreign king:

Lord Peasebury: More dying everyday, and for what? Some girl?
    Morgan Liddle: Ned's girl.

I'm pro-Northern independence, but I'm sticking with Stannis for the rightful king of the Iron Throne.

• 6 posts
    November 14, 2013 11:28 AM EST

Don't want to derail the thread but why oh why are so many people drawn to bad in this world we live in today?  I am an agnostic and yet I fear for our future.  

As to the houses, there are so many "broken" characters in the game that I can't think of a one I'd want to belong to.  But there are great characters too.  Tyrion Lannister is worth 10 of any member of his house.  If he were not a dwarf he'd surely win the game.  Arya Stark has the honor of her house that inspires people without the blinders on that got her father killed.  And Jaime Lannister after "the accident" starts to become a man I would follow.  I don't know if I missed a book, it sounds like some of you have read, but from what I have read I expect major revelations regarding Jon Snow.  And he is the best the Starks have to offer.

• 152 posts
    November 14, 2013 1:55 PM EST

Missing the point of the beginning of this comment. Yes, it make sense, but why put that here?

• 152 posts
    November 14, 2013 2:00 PM EST

I am going to have to go with the Martells or the Starks

• 661 posts
    November 14, 2013 2:15 PM EST

House Lannister is my favorite so far. I've only watched some episodes, but what I've seen so far they are such an evil bunch. They are also a very dramatic bunch as well. They maybe the antagonists of the story, but is that allowed to stop you from liking them?

The half-man is hilarious, so is his sister when she is being told off by every second character. Their father is a badass with his leather trench coat. Another reason why I like them is because they are ruthless. Nothing will stop them from getting what they want. Jamie I thought was cool (his actor adds to this, I've always admired him even though I dont know his name). He loses his hand, and still refuses to give up. Kills his cousin for the heck of it even though his plan has no chance of him escaping.

Lannisters all the way! Plus they killed Sean Bean (who should die in anything he acts in).

• 21 posts
    November 14, 2013 2:57 PM EST
    Have you ever seen Troy? :P
    • 21 posts
    November 14, 2013 2:58 PM EST
    The Martells are the only house with equal amounts sense, combat skill, power, and right to rule.
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 15, 2013 10:22 AM EST

What right do they have? They lost it when the Throne was taken from House Targaryen. By law, they have no right.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 15, 2013 5:46 PM EST

If you are meaning the Iron Throne, the Baratheons have a stronger claim than the Martells after the Targaryens. Robert, Stannis, and Renly's grandmother was a Targaryen. The Elia could never inherit, and if I remember right, Daenerys was the last and I think only Targaryen to marry into House Martell, which brought Dorne into the Seven Kingdoms in the first place some 90 years before Robert' Rebellion.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 15, 2013 6:28 PM EST

The Baratheons have the stronger claim. They earned it through war, and so they will keep it until someone takes it from them.

The Targaryen lost any claim to the Throne when they lost the war. Any claiming they do now is based on the past, it's inconsistent and not valid. Daenerys and any Targaryen supporters have to start viewing the world as it is, not as it was or was supposed to be.

• 34 posts
    November 16, 2013 7:09 AM EST

My favourite house is Targaryen, and Daenerys is my favourite character by far. But I think the Iron Throne should go to the Tyrells. They seem to be the only good (and I use that term lightly, is there really any pure good in this universe?) family around, and Margaery is nice to the citizens of Kings Landing (even if it is just to win their favour) and they can play the part of politician really well. 

As for Dany, she should continue learning how to be a true queen and releasing the slaves and build a better kingdom where she is now. The Seven Kingdoms is no place for her, although with winter coming, her dragons would be useful against the wights (almost called them draugr--oops). Although I believe she is the one in Melisandre's prophecy, not Stannis. I'm a bit torn on where she should be, but she definitely is a queen. Whether it's a queen on the Iron Throne or somewhere else, I'm not sure. 

So either Dany or Margaery on the Iron Throne and I will be happy.

• 661 posts
    November 18, 2013 9:49 AM EST

The Movie? I've watched it yeah. Why?

• 89 posts
    November 18, 2013 12:49 PM EST

I like how the "right to rule" is discussed so often with the houses, like how the Targaryens lost it when the Baratheons took it, so now Stannis has the right. But what right did the Baratheons have to take it, besides the right of force? And that is the right to rule that will matter in the end. And as Bilbo said, it doesn't do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations. Dragons, intelligent military counsel, a charismatic leader, a driven and purposeful army, and soon to arrive a very clever political adviser. The Targaryens will reclaim the throne, but the madness in the bloodline will die when the practice of inbreeding stops.

Also, my personal prediction, Jon Snow is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, who died in childbirth, but still wanted her son protected from Robert. "Promise me, Ned." The dragon must have three heads.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 19, 2013 10:55 AM EST

I really hope Jon Snow remains that way on the next books, that is, like he was at the end of ADWD. I started to like him only in the fifth book. In the other books, he was alongside Daenerys on my list of least favorite characters.

And it's okay if the Targaryens reclaim the Throne again, but personally I wouldn't like it and I think Stannis would be a much better King than Daenerys.

As to the right that the Baratheons had when they took the Throne from the Targaryens, it's the same right that the Targaryens had when they unified the Seven Kingdoms during the Wars of Conquest: The right of conquest. And the force, as you said.

Really, during a war, that's what it matters, nothing else. Mainly when this war is caused by the justified discontent with the current ruler. (At the moment of the War of the Usurper, the Mad King).

So, by this logic, the Baratheons had even more right to take the Throne of one bad ruler than the Targaryen had when they took the Throne of six rulers. Remembering that Dorne "knelt" later, much later, thus proving that IT IS possible to successfully resist and defend against Dragon's attacks and an entire army if there's a good strategy. (Although given the current situation of Westeros, I agree that it would be much harder and much more challenging. But we also have to consider that Daenerys's dragons aren't actually trained).

• 89 posts
    November 19, 2013 2:44 PM EST

Fair enough. And believe me, I'm not basing it on what I want to happen. But Martin has rarely taken that into account.