Forums » General Gaming

Game Controllers

• 773 posts
    October 2, 2012 5:01 PM EDT

Can any PC users recommend me a decent game controller to use for Skyrim.

Here's the scenario....

Over the Summer I played a lot of stuff on my PS3 and - for the first time - really got into using a game controller. Partly it was sitting in the chair rather than having to sit at my desk, but more so I found it more intuitive than a mouse / keyboard combo

Anyway, when I came back to Skyrim (on my PC) I really found it clunky so I would like to get a game pad or some sort - hence the need for recommendations.

And don't tell me to play Skyrim on PS3. I want to play Dawnguard and use mods 

• 952 posts
    October 2, 2012 5:52 PM EDT

Best thing that I can think of is to use an Xbox controller on your PC, and for Skyrim you can download mods for playing it with a controller as well when you type controller in the search bar on Skyrimnexus. I myself never use a controller because the reason I play on PC is the keyboard and mouse which has a better gameplay experience on most games that I like. But I've seen my cousin play on his PC with and Xbox controller a few times.

• October 2, 2012 5:53 PM EDT

I heard you can use Ps3 and 360 controllers on PC. If that's true then 360 controller, the PS3 ones are too light IMO and triggers break pretty easily.

• 668 posts
    October 2, 2012 9:25 PM EDT

You can download a program that will let you use a PS3 controller on your pc. It's called a DS3 tool. Or you could just use the PS3 and forgo the mods and Dawnguard...

• October 2, 2012 10:35 PM EDT

Alright, I know some stuff about Xbox 360 controllers, even though you probably don't have one 

If you have a wired controller, you can just plug it into your computer. I don't even know if you need drivers/software, but if you do you can download it from microsoft.

If you have a wireless one then you have to get a Wireless Xbox 360 Receiver that lets you connect it to your computer and download software from microsoft for it to work. These are about 15 dollars and you seem to only be able to find them online. You can get them from Amazon.

PS3 controllers... Dunno 

• 4 posts
    October 3, 2012 1:45 AM EDT

I use a controller by Razer called the Razer Onza. It's fully licensed by Microsoft, and is compatible with the 360 and Windows and is a wired controller. The build quality is excellent, and the thumbsticks are slightly taller than those on a normal 360 controller, allowing for more precise movements, which is nice. It has two extra 'bumper' buttons, which can be programmed to take on the role of any other button on the controller. (I program them as the left and right bumper in case I hit it by mistake).

My only complaints are that the directional buttons don't feel and press well. They're not as 'clicky' as the A,X,Y,B buttons, and annoy me a bit. Also the first Onza I owned had a dodgy right trigger and had it replaced, but this new one works perfectly.

The controller is very affordable too. It's about the same price as a normal PS3 controller, but more expensive than a 360 controller. It cost me $80 Australian dollars in a retail games store. Though I guess the price can vary depending on where you live. The Onza has my full recommendation. :-)

• 4 posts
    October 3, 2012 1:51 AM EDT

I thought, that if wanted to use an Xbox controller on Windows, you had to purchase the "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows". I don't believe you can get any old 360 controller and expect it to work on Windows... I could be wrong though.

• 4 posts
    October 3, 2012 1:54 AM EDT

Oh and I believe it is possible to connect your PS3 controller to Windows through the use of special unlicensed drivers, but they're unreliable. I couldn't get them to work anyway. Otherwise I would prefer to use my PS3 controller over an Xbox one.

• 34 posts
    October 3, 2012 3:42 AM EDT

I simply would get a logitech gamepad, they have a setup similar to a PS3 controller but since if I remember correctly PC Skyrim uses xbox labels (A,B,X,Y, RT,RB,RS) it would be optimal for a low price, if it were me I would go with Razer Onza, they are fantastic if I do say so myself, but they are infamous for shipping a lot of defects and can be a gamble to find one that works on the first purchase. I recommend not buying a Microsoft made 360 controller for a lot of reasons, But from a more PC gaming stand point, I reccomend a Nostromo for someone who does a lot of PC gaming, but since you are looking for a more Xbox, PS3 controller type controller, I would go with a Logitech gamepad like I said earlier, would suite you well.