Forums » Elder Scrolls

Problem with pickpocketing...

• 5 posts
    September 20, 2012 4:42 PM EDT

So I've been playing Ponty's Burgler lately and having some fun pickpocketing.  Reload spamming is weaksauce in my opinion, I like to RP the consequences of getting caught. According to the wiki: "After unsuccessfully attempting to pickpocket an NPC, the NPC cannot be pickpocketed again for 2 days. The NPC will not reset if the player waits two days in the same room.  This can also be reset if your unsuccessful attempt causes you to be approached by a guard and you are able to make them go away quietly (Bribe, announcing your "status", or paying them as "part of the Guild".)"  However it seems that nobody ever remember I've failed to pickpocket them.  Regardless if I go to jail and escape, go to jail and serve time, pay my bounty, fight to the death and use the guild to erase my bounty, or simply run away and return I can simply walk right back up that person and (Fail) pickpocket them again.  Anyone have any insight on this?  

• 5 posts
    September 20, 2012 8:30 PM EDT

This is my issue with them not remembering.  I'm tempted to just go back do it over and over again which is a roundabouts way of just pressing F9 every time I fail except it costs me some gold, or a stay in jail (or an escape), or something like that.  I used to get the "This person has already caught you" (or whatever it says) message unless I had bribed the guard or used my Thane status etc. as described above, so something broke somewhere.  Going right back after I've escaped etc. is against my RP principles but I'll be damned if I'm not horribly tempted to go back and try again instead of moving on for a few days and trying at a later date like I should have to.  This is about removing the temptation to break my principles (and figuring out what broke so I can fix it). Call me neurotic. 

Some have said metalhead... but I have no objections to your interpretation.  

• 5 posts
    September 20, 2012 9:07 PM EDT

Being a role player I don't mind getting caught, my Burglar can just bribe the guard or escape from jail without too many issues. Bribing oddly enough actually enables you to go right back back and try again which I'm okay with. However on those occasions when I don't have enough gold or I end up running away, or staying in jail for my sentence I should have to wait two days before being able to pickpocket that person again. It's seriously bothering me that that isn't the case at the moment.

Also, my Burglar is a good kitty and probably won't kill Viarmo for snitching.