Forums » Elder Scrolls

Hard Core Mode???

• 22 posts
    April 11, 2012 5:00 PM EDT

I've played an extended amount of time now on Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 3. All great games but one thing that I thought that made New Vegas very fun; was Hardcore mode. Do you guys wish that Skyrim had this feature or if they make it a feature in future patches?

• 856 posts
    April 11, 2012 5:13 PM EDT

Aye, hardcore mode - especially the healing over time, would be a nice addition.  Its exclusion seems like a step backwards.

• 22 posts
    April 11, 2012 5:15 PM EDT

What do you mean by a step backwards?

• 377 posts
    April 11, 2012 5:16 PM EDT

YES!! Food, sleeping, and water are kind of pointless without Hardcore mode. I wish it were in.

• 856 posts
    April 11, 2012 5:56 PM EDT

Excluding it (leaving it out) from Skyrim after it was in FO:NV seems like a step backwards to me - it makes no sense for them not to include the optional Hardcore mode.

• 22 posts
    April 11, 2012 6:20 PM EDT

lol my bad I actually read your first post incorrectly.

• 59 posts
    April 12, 2012 11:57 AM EDT

I think it should be included, it would have made a great addition. Though with the bad difficulty scaling in Skyrim I think it would make Skyrim a step towards Dark Souls rather than a fun and challenging extra like it was in New Vegas. 

• 133 posts
    April 12, 2012 1:12 PM EDT
    We have debated over this topic on previous discussions. I think a hardcore mode would be the cherry of the cake , the final accomplishment in the game, to seek when you reached that point on which you think the game has no challenges left. Imagine a game played on those rules: no fast travel; potions and spells heal over time; you suffer starving if you dont eat, thirsty if you dont drink water, sleep deprivation if you dont sleep; armor and weapons degrade over time, needing constant maintenance; limbs can be broken, making you lame untill you seek healing on a temple or a alchemist shop. That would be the ultimate roleplayng experience, bringing you as close to areal life adventure as it is possible on a game. And only Bethesda could do this. If they just wanted.
  • April 12, 2012 1:14 PM EDT

This sounds like the ultimate game...

Let's hope it's included in the next ES!

• 75 posts
    April 14, 2012 6:00 PM EDT

<--- Huge Dark Souls fan... hmph

• 75 posts
    April 14, 2012 6:01 PM EDT

or DLC

• 6 posts
    April 14, 2012 11:38 PM EDT

I loved the hardcore mode on FNV and missed it in Skyrim.

But I've been using a fantastic mod for that  (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10639) so I wouldn't really care for a patch or dlc that added a hardcore mode.

• 377 posts
    April 15, 2012 3:20 AM EDT

Another thing that would be a great addition is the equivalent of cold vs body heat. Similar to how we handled radiation in Fallout. If you're in the cold for too long without proper garments or if you're in icy waters your body heat should drop. This is something that's been bugging me in the game - me trudging through northern icy waters as if it were nothing.

• 377 posts
    April 15, 2012 3:41 AM EDT

Thanks for mentioning this mod. It looks very complex and detailed. It just might be what many of us are looking for.

• April 15, 2012 8:31 AM EDT

Lol, Joe... That is NOT something that you can put in a DLC

Everybody would start hating on Bethesda and send a mob to their HQ before they finished...  (Except for the PC players of course, we got mods )

Besides, tons of things would be changed in main files of the game etc. and there would probably be another plethora of bugs for all you guys that have them.

• 22 posts
    April 16, 2012 5:52 PM EDT

Why would people hate Bethasda for making a hardcore mode? It would just be an option to play with.

• 377 posts
    April 16, 2012 6:13 PM EDT

I don't know if he means this, but I got the impression that he's saying that people would be upset if Hardcore mode were only available through a non-free DLC, or that the big DLC ( or expansion) was solely the Hardcore mode, and nothing more.

Personally I feel that they could, like you said, make it option to play with. It could be similar to the free High Resolution texture pack DLC. But if it is a stand alone DLC it should definitely be free.