Forums » Elder Scrolls

How many saves?

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 9:22 PM EDT

I know we talk about all the hours we've put into Skyrim; all of the blood, sweat, and tears. We talk about all those times we shot fish with our bow, killed a giant, or ventured deep into Blackreach. We're asked what our favorite skills are, our favorite things to do, etc. I have yet to see someone ask, "How many saves do you have?" So here we are, how many saves do you have? It's as simple as that. Are you paranoid about losing progress, so your numbers are in the thousands, or mellowed out in the low hundreds? I'm not asking how many saved games you have right now, but what does that little number say next to the location?

I'm currently at 685 saves with over 400 hours of playtime.

How many do you have?

• March 28, 2012 10:28 PM EDT

This is a bit biased towards console players as I almost never hard save unless stopping.

Other than that, quicksaves are my best pal, I bet I've pressed that F5 key thousands of times between Skyrim and Morrowind XD

This reminds me of a blog post some guy once made. He started making a timeline for his character with Saves from the pictures. Pretty cool idea.

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 10:44 PM EDT

Oh, I thought it would be the same for PC users, my bad.

I know what you mean though, I used to save constantly in Starcraft

• 577 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:01 PM EDT

My main character, Tygravius Boximir, logged up to about 265 saves. I'm pretty much done with him, so I erased all of the 'hard' saves. I have three other characters with just one 'hard' save each. When I play them, I just use all the auto saves(there's 3 kinds) as I'm playing. You know, when sleeping, waiting and then one that saves every 30mins that I adjusted to accordingly.

I have about 300hrs total, with 85% of that time on Sir Boximir.

I was fortunate enough that I never had to go back several saves due to glitches.

685 saves!? Jimminy crickets! That's got to slow your game loading down bigtime. Did you get rid alot of them?

• 577 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:06 PM EDT

I did a thread on here once asking people to add up all the 'quests completed' in the quest section. (for players who predominatly use one character) Just straight down the line. Seemed no one was into it.....I have 556 competed. Remember, that's just added ALL of them. Some may be intertwind(sp)

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:06 PM EDT

My saves have a number next to them (how many times I've saved), I have maybe 6 characters right now and my first save(character creation). I don't use autosave because I play dead=dead,

What I'm trying to get at is that your save should have a number assigned to it, that's your total amount of saves up until that point in time; not how many separate saved games I have, haha.

• 708 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:15 PM EDT

I'm up to 91 but I only hardsave when I'm changing characters, up to 380 or so hours now (but I'd say about 10-20 spent modding at least)

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:19 PM EDT

Do the quick-saves log like an auto-save?

• March 28, 2012 11:22 PM EDT

Quick saves are triggered by pressing the F5 button, you have 1 quicksave per guy and they are very useful cause you can Quicksave right before a fight, entering a room etc.

I don't know what you mean by log...

Do you mean can you see them? You can Quickload your Quicksave with F9 and you can go to the saves section to see it.

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:27 PM EDT

I play on the 360, I usually save at the beginning of a dungeon to protect against glitches. By "logging," I mean it assigns the save a number.

i.e.

685- Skyrim

AUTO- x

AUTO- x

597- Castle Dour 

I'm guessing it's just like a normal saved game, or does it delete when you log out?

• 577 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:33 PM EDT

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:35 PM EDT

Makes me wish I had this for the PC, if feel so bad looking at my number. 

I wish I could add up all of my hours, but I've deleted so many characters.

• March 28, 2012 11:42 PM EDT

No it's like a Autosave that the player triggers whenever they want and there is only 1. It gets overridden every time you Qsave again.

Something like this:

Quicksave - Blue Palace (Or maybe it's just quick, sorry haven't played Skyrim in a bit...)

Auto - Solitude

Auto - Radiant Raiments

112 - Riften

I haven't actually checked if that's my actual save number. I'm guessing it's at least 100 cause awhile ago it was 90ish.

I always have 1 Save for each guy and when I stop playing or switch I save over that save. Then when I'm done I delete all the Quicksaves and Autosaves to make it nice :P (As well as Hardsaving of course)

• 75 posts
    March 28, 2012 11:49 PM EDT

Exactly what I do, minus the quick-saves.