Forums » Elder Scrolls

Lost Followers

• 15 posts
    March 19, 2012 11:34 PM EDT

First off I just want to say I hope I'm not doing a repeat post..

I'm on my third play through now, and have never really used companions so I decided to go all out and make a character that really embraces followers.  I made it to level 50 with an Imperial (seemed appropriate since they're charismatic) and have travelled with the majority of followers in the game, as well as outfitting them all with some really great gear (didn't hurt that I leveled my Smithing and Enchanting).  Anyways I also decided to try out marriage for the first time, I married Iona mainly because I had given her the best gear and she's pretty quiet (I hate snarky comments when I'm sneaking through caves).  I had gotten pretty used to having her around when I decided to check out Shalidor's Maze. 

This is where I got in trouble... I have an issue with too many saves... I hate a crowded "save" list.  For some reason I cleared all my saves except for the auto save that I got when I entered the maze.  If you don't know why that sucks then let me give you a fair warning- Shalidor's Maze can bug out your followers.  It took me a while to figure it out, but Iona was stuck.  My video game wife, my first video game wife... and she was loaded with loot... full legendary enchanted daedric armor and weapons, enchanted rings, potions... and she was stuck in the maze.  

After searching the internet for a fix I determined she was simply not getting out, so I came to a harsh realization, leave her in purgatory or give her a quick death.  I took back all of her armor and enchanted items (so she would go fast), retreated to a safe distance and went into sneak mode.  One arrow was enough.  While I had to leave her there I felt I needed to do something, I had been traveling with her since I was level 12... 

I left Labyrinth and headed to Skyborn Altar, equipped Iona's War Axe and used it to take down the dragon.  Then I proceeded to the ledge that overlooked Labyrinth (her final resting place) and left her armor and weapon, as well as some gems and flowers (corny, I know).

Point being, have any of you lost a follower you had become attached too, one you couldnt bring back with a reloaded save, and if so how did you (your character) deal with it?

• 66 posts
    March 20, 2012 12:44 AM EDT

Awesome bit of roleplaying

I've traveled through a number of caves and found someone in there who needed to get out; my Khajiit gave them the quick exit (ergo a sliced throat), my Dunmer threw a fireball at them, my Argonian seems to be decent enough to lead them to the exit, provided they're not Nords - he also seems wont to hire help for dragon encounters, if only for a meatshield.

Apart from those encounters I haven't had a follower because it never fits with the personality of my character.

• 426 posts
    March 20, 2012 5:24 AM EDT

Yeah on my first playthrough I decided to do exactly what you have done and embrace a follower I dont normally use them they really annoy me. So I took Lydia into my services and really started enjoying having her with me. We cleared dungeons, forts, ruins, took dragons down and I think I even did a few quests and side missions with her. Like you she was fully tooled up. After a lengthy nordic ruin the final boss was epic. I hadnt seen that many enemies at once before and all hell broke loose. Especially with me being a mage fire and lighting spewed out over the chamber. Twenty mins later the last enemy fell as did Lydia. I found her under a pile of draugr. I couldnt bring myself to reload and do that epic battle again so consigned her remains to the ruins. I was not happy as I was overloaded and it took aaaaagggggess to get back home.

• 773 posts
    March 20, 2012 8:17 AM EDT

Nice post! 

It would be cool if someone made a mod that meant that you could bury a follower and give them a decent send off. I mean in the Hall of the Dead in Riften or Falkreath Cemetery.

• 14 posts
    March 20, 2012 1:36 PM EDT

My Nord warrior was exiting Rannveig's Fast through the unmarked exit when I found a dog fighting off a pair of wolves. I cast Kyne's Peace to break up the fight and then kill the wolves. I was ready to go on my way when the dog walked over and looked up at me. The title that flashed up over the cursor told me all of the backstory I needed to know - "stray dog." I had never heard of this and was blown away by this neat little encounter.

I was exploring the plains and mountains west of Whiterun with the dog. She was a neat little companion and I liked to see her sprinting off to intercept a bear. I saw a dragon roost on my compass while we were exploring. I hadn't seen how the dog would fare in a brutal fight and couldn't in good conscience bring the dog with me to go dragon hunting. So I headed back to Whiterun with the dog.

Upon arriving in Whiterun, I walked into Belethor's to sell some loot. As I walked up to the counter, the dog settled down next to the fire to wait for me. It was probably a coincidence but that little moment brought a lot of life to the dog. Yes, that is exactly where a dog would want to lie down.

After selling my loot, I walked over to the Shrine of Talos to pray. The shrine was right behind the preacher, which placed the preacher right between me and the dog. As the dog settled down to wait for my character, it appeared that she was lying down in front of the preacher and barking in response to his sermon.

"I love, love you!"

"Arf! Arf! Arf!"

Okay, now I really like this dog. I brought the dog over to Breezehome so I could leave her there with Ysolda and Lydia while I went dragon hunting. I positioned the dog so she would lie down in the path between the cooking fire and the cupboard. The cupboard would reflect the heat, making that spot the warmest in the house. Even if it is in everyone's way. Yes, that is exactly where a dog would want to lie down.

I figured that a stray dog would enjoy the comfort of a warm home and two companions while I went out hunting. I was out exploring the surrounding area after killing the dragon when I saw a message pop up, "Stray Dog has returned home."

Cool. The dog had designated Breezehome as its new home. It must've liked the place. Or it left for Rannveig's Fast. Either way, nothing to worry about. I walked back to Whiterun to discover that it wasn't the former. Ran as fast as I could to Rannveig's Fast to discover it wasn't the latter either.

Went online to discover that Stray Dog is glitchy and has a custom ID, making retrieval through the console very difficult. The dog was gone. Bethesda, this was the only glitch that broke my heart.

After a week of game time and another failed trip to Rannveig's Fast, my character travelled to Markarth to buy a dog. Then I opened the console to make the dog immortal.

Bethesda, you took my last dog. You're not getting another.

• 66 posts
    March 21, 2012 8:24 PM EDT

you can drag the body to a river, dust to dust and all that...

• Tim
    • 12 posts
    March 25, 2012 4:16 PM EDT

i lost my dog vigilance :( when i got him he was so helpful, killing sabre cats and whatnot. the i was worried he would get killed so i told him to go hom. i have yet to see him since

• 132 posts
    March 25, 2012 4:41 PM EDT

On my first playthrough, when I was still discovering everything about skyrim, I picked up Uthgerd the Unbroken after the fistfight. I thought she looked like a good tank, with the steel plate and 2hander, and I was right. We cleared caves, slaughtered dragons, fought off wild beasts, all that good stuff. Then came the fateful day when I decided to do that quest in Whiterun involving the Alik'r (can't remember the name of the quest).

I decided to help Saadia, so Uthgerd and I went to the cave. We got through the main portion easily enough, until we reached the room with the Alik'r. I told Kematu I was hired to kill him and kill him I would, and so the battle was joined. I quickly slew one of the Alik'r grunts, then found that I was taking heavy damage from Kematu. I turned to fight him, leaving Uthgerd to fight the other Alik'r alone. My opponent put up an even greater fight than I anticipated, but a glance toward Uthgerd showed her still standing, with Alik'r corpses at her feet, and three more still breathing. Knowing time was running out, I chanced a sudden counterattack and finally killed Kematu. I turned just in time to see Uthgerd, with her last breath, kill an Alik'r as the other two's blades struck home. With a heavy heart, I finished off the final two foes, and tossed their corpses into the water. I took Uthgerd's sword for remembrance and left the cave, hoping Saadia's freedom was worth it.

R.I.P. Uthgerd

• Tim
    • 12 posts
    March 25, 2012 4:51 PM EDT

that sucks,,, i married uthgerd and she was killed by an ice troll, also i chose to betray saadia because she was about to kill me