Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do you think in TES6 they should add smithing customization?

• 161 posts
    April 10, 2015 3:20 AM EDT

I was just looking at cool armor mod pictures and saw a couple mods with replacers for Faction members with their own unique armor and Follower mods that had people apart of Factions with their own armor (Whether re-colored or completely remade).

Then I though that how In Skyrim you always became the leader of whatever Faction and/or group you join. It would be an awesome Idea to add in the next game, you could make your own custom Armor along with weapons (Maybe) upon becoming the Leader of such faction. Even becoming The Thane of somewhere just to get a old House and some enchanted weapon.

The idea came to me where how the people in each faction has the signature armor or style, especially with each member, Example in The Dark Brotherhood a couple members have their own armor or clothes, just like in The Companions they use a unique weapon type that didn't look so unique, I just thought it would be cool to have your own set of armor for working your butt of HARD just to get a title only reward without looking the part with that being said!    

What are you guys thoughts?

• 4 posts
    April 10, 2015 7:12 AM EDT
    Definitely. Also if they add a Hearthfire like feature you should be able to choose the racial architecture of the house.
    • 13 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:12 AM EDT

Would something like custom smithing be along the lines of say tweaking armor and weapons for specific goals?

Take a battle axe for instance. Let's say it has a base damage of 12. Weight of 10, and attack speed of 5. With a custom smithing perk you could say shave off some of its weight to decrease it stamina use on power attacks, while increasing its attack speed, however after doing that x amount of times the attack damage would begin to drop as its losing some of its heft. On the other side of this you might add to its attack damage, but it would gain weight and or slow its attack speed. Higher level custom smithing perks would increase the positive side of this while reducing the negatives.

Armor much the same way. Perhaps your armor might have extra defense against stabs or bladed weapons, but lack the durability to stand up to smashing attacks like hammers or shields. Maybe its set up to defend against arrows above all else. Each smithing operation would effect the armors defense overall as well as in key areas of combat. Effect its use of stamina for running and weight for carrying ect.

Then you add in the various decorative aspects of your gear such as style and color, or even material as well. I mean why can't a good smith copy the look of say Dragonbone or Daedric armor and weapons, but make it out of steel? Sure it won't be as epic in the stats, but a run of the mill bandit might not know that and run away rather than fight you know.

I'd like your gear to reflect more on how people perceive you. I mean a fully decked out Warlord in Daedric armor shouldn't be spoken to the same way as that all leather wearing thief if you ask me.

I could see a lot of options for custom smithing as a skillset.

• 253 posts
    April 10, 2015 1:57 PM EDT

I want the color customization that ESO gives. I also want blacksmiths to be able to upgrade weapons and armor. You can buy potions, and enchanted stuff, but blacksmiths can't use a grindstone...?

• 161 posts
    April 10, 2015 6:47 PM EDT

I mean that "Let's say" for instance You acquired the Nightingale Armor and weapons but the other members have different colored or even accessories to their outfit. You would seem ordinary compared to them. Like in the Thieves Guild, since there's different outfits with enchantments and different jobs. They could add New Armor for each job when you become good at it.  

• 161 posts
    April 10, 2015 6:52 PM EDT

Exactly. You have the Idea.  On the other hand I would like if they separated certain skills, such as Crafting skills and Combat skills so it would be easier to level without grinding because lets say your a Barbarian who has little defense and needs to grind more Iron Ingots to get smithing up to temper your Fur armor.   

• 161 posts
    April 10, 2015 6:58 PM EDT

Yes that would be cool. I see it as very limited because I want the same feel with Fur armor and Dragon. Not everyone kills dragons and uses their bones to make armor and weapons. It would be better to see everyone being able to use their favorite armor and still stand a chance against Deadric Armor dudes. 

• 161 posts
    April 10, 2015 7:00 PM EDT

I think that would be Beautiful. Just because I live in Skyrim doesn't mean I want the plain old house they have in the cities. 

• 9 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:59 PM EDT
    I think it'd be cool if, when you became the leader of a guild or faction, you could customize the standard armor worn by other members. So if you wanted all your Dark Brotherhood underlings to wear pink, you'd see them walking around in the sanctuary like that.
    • 161 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:56 PM EDT

Lol. Thats a great Idea. It gives a sense of authority to the player.

• 23 posts
    April 12, 2015 6:05 AM EDT
    Like mods for weapons in Fallout new vegas that change the appearance of weapons but in TES6 it will be available for armor and weapons and you could add like symbols for factions that you have joined or just change up the appearance?
    • 65 posts
    April 13, 2015 9:08 AM EDT

I think it would be awesome, I mean at least let us dye the armors. Which we can do that in ESO. 

• 116 posts
    April 13, 2015 9:55 AM EDT
    What mod is this that you are talking about?
    • 68 posts
    April 25, 2015 8:24 AM EDT
    I'm all for craftable guild armors. It's really annoying that you can't enchant guild armors because you can't craft them. It would be simple enough to do, just add a forge to each guild headquartes and make it so you can only craft them there.