Forums » Elder Scrolls

Do Nords hate magic?

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2014 12:38 AM EDT
    Now, many people in the community believe that Nords hate magic, since we rarely see any Nord mages, and those that do are mainly healers, or rouge. I for one, don't think so, while they may distrust magic, they atleast have some justification, as Ongar (Or whatever that Nord Mage's name is, I think that's it, I can't quite remember), says. On a thread on the TES wiki, many people cite Falion as them hating mages. Well, I think it's less about him being a Mage, and rather, it's him practicing Conjuration, which has ties to Daedra and Necromancy. And, he apparently has communed with Daedra. What do you guys think?
    • 622 posts
    April 29, 2014 1:07 AM EDT

Many of the modern Nords too but I think a number still respect it.

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2014 1:17 AM EDT
    "They have forgotten their forefather's respect for the Clever Craft"-Tsun. It's kinda hard to argue when a demigod/god says something like this. Does this mean Ysgrammor might have used magic, or atleast acknowledged it?
    • 622 posts
    April 29, 2014 1:20 AM EDT

I think

• TED
    • 45 posts
    April 29, 2014 2:36 AM EDT

Hi, Billy Mays here with a response to the topic of whether or not Nords hate magic!  One thing that should be noted is the Thu'um is a form of magic that the Nordic people respect and believe is a gift to their own people from Kyne.  It used to be somewhat common back in the late Mythic era when they were fighting the dragons, but was later abandoned by most when the Way of the Voice became a popular ideology to adhere to.  Since then, only the Greybeards have been the known masters of this type of magic.

Queen Potema's role in the Red War of the Diamond could have an effect on why magic is viewed negatively.  She was seeking to claim the throne for herself and her son by any means necessary.  As a result, Potema waged war with her undead army and claimed Solitude for a decade.  While this happened at least five centuries ago, it is still a part of the Nordic history that the people will never forget.

In the book "On the Great Collapse", the author suggests that the events of the Oblivion Crisis was a factor for the people of Skyrim showing distrust for mages.  While they tried to help combat the actions of the Mythic Dawn Cult, it went unnoticed by the people of Skyrim.  It didn't help matters when the city of Winterhold was devastated by the effects of the Great Collapse.  Due to the magical barriers surrounding the College, it came out unscathed.  Without a true cause being established for the events that happened, it was assumed by the local Nords that the College was responsible.

Do Nords hate magic?  They do hate most types of magic due to previous events revolving around the use of magic.  However, types of magic like Restoration and the Thu'um are considered respectable within the Nordic culture.

• 30 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:08 AM EDT

Erm, Shalidor was a mage. His praises are sung even in elven lore, where he supposedly stole Glamoril, the secret of life from Akatosh and stored in in labrynthian.

Nord guards hold the school of restoration magic in high regards, as seen from their interactions from time to time. Aside from this, whilst the thu'um cannot really be considered "magical" in the traditional aspect, it is a form of magic, specific to dragons and nords.

Of course, there is tsun indicating the usage of the clever craft,which is a nod to magic used by nords (possibly shalidor once again).

That said, Berland is a nordic spellsword follower, indicating usage of magic once again. So do nords hate magic? Maybe. But then again, they also realize it's many usages in combat, so do not disregard it altogether.

Thanks.

• 285 posts
    April 29, 2014 4:57 PM EDT
    Hardly unscathed, the bridge is barely holding.
    • 7 posts
    April 29, 2014 5:55 PM EDT

The Nords fear the magic and Winterhold academy, they think that the cataclysms are caused by magic experiments. The feud of Winterhold has suffered serious damage, only the academy was saved.

I don't think that the Nords hate magic, but I think that the Nords are angry and resentful against wizards for not saving Winterhold, once prosperous city in the north.

• April 29, 2014 6:19 PM EDT

A lot of Nord's think magic is for the weak. 

• 7 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:37 PM EDT

Because the Nords are used to the cold, they are men strong and sturdy, they are for the hand to hand combat

• April 29, 2014 6:40 PM EDT

Basically, self reliance. I like it.  

• 7 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:47 PM EDT

Magic is a sophisticated art adapts to high elves

• April 29, 2014 6:51 PM EDT

Elves aren't really built for the physical like Nords are though.

• 856 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:54 PM EDT

I use the Viking view on magic for the Skyrim nords. Magic is not understood by most, but an enchanted suit of armor or weapon, etc., would be most welcome. Odin, himself, had to be taught magic (by Freya). Also magic was more associated with females, so when I play a nord female, I may pick a school of magic or two, whilst if I play a male nord, I usually limit my magic use to found items (or I take enchanting, at most).

• 7 posts
    April 29, 2014 6:57 PM EDT

of course! Every people has different characteristics depending their homeland

• 404 posts
    April 29, 2014 7:42 PM EDT
    I remember going to Sovngarde and Tsun made a complement about my character as the Arch Mage. Tsun's race is the ancestors of the Nords.
  • April 29, 2014 7:43 PM EDT

yes. a god. 

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2014 7:46 PM EDT
    And that is why Vikings are awesome. Also, never knew Odin had to learn magic from his wife.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 29, 2014 8:09 PM EDT

I thought he sacrificed his eye to Mimir as payment to drink from his well and learn magic?

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 29, 2014 8:14 PM EDT

Nord hatred for magic is well known and justifiable, and it's something that's grown over the years. It seems to me more of a guilt by association with elves, to be honest. Some of the greatest magic users were Nords (or Nedes) during the Merethic and First Eras (Shalidor, Ahzidal, Miraak, etc), but we don't see a hatred and mistrust of magic until the conflict with elves.

I like playing Nord mages, actually.

• 856 posts
    April 29, 2014 11:31 PM EDT

He sacrificed his eye for wisdom and the ability of foresight (one type of 'vision' for another). The Norse had different types of magic, Freya taught Odin one type...

This link may prove an interesting read regarding Odin, women, and magic. 

• 856 posts
    April 29, 2014 11:32 PM EDT

Odin's wife is Frigga, not (necessarily) Freya...due to many similarities, some sources conclude they are one and the same. (My thoughts are divided.)

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2014 11:39 PM EDT
    Ah, I always get the two mixed up. I recall Freyya's brother Fryr (I think that shower you spell it), what was he shtick again?
    • 1913 posts
    April 30, 2014 12:15 AM EDT
    Isn't Odin the reason Gandalf and many wizards have that weird style hat?
    • 1441 posts
    April 30, 2014 12:54 AM EDT
    Yeahs, Odin started the whole pointed hat and robe wizard look, posing as a traveler. The hat was to hide his blind eye, so. He wouldn't be recognized.