Forums » Elder Scrolls

Dead is dead (against my will)

• 33 posts
    January 26, 2014 12:41 AM EST
    I cringe badly when my character meets their first death, as I always have to play DiD even without wanting to. I just hate it when I get ambushed by death hounds on my Whiterun, or get blind sided. I reload but in my heart I know that the character is dead to me. My characters are going to be stuck doing bounties In Whiterun out of fear. Do any of you guys have the same feeling?
    • 79 posts
    January 26, 2014 12:47 AM EST

Same sentiments. I always play DiD, early on whenever I hear those dog barking I make a mad dash to the closest door or guard. Though on occasions I've found myself glitched through the floor and dying... or glitched through a rock on top of a mountain and ended up ragdolling through the floor and dying due to fall damage on those occasions I chalk that up as my characters having a bad dream and reloading.

DiD is also the main reason why Become Ethereal is my de facto favorite shout, can't be too careful.

• 338 posts
    January 26, 2014 1:07 AM EST

I tried DiD once, but I had gotten past level like 35, and I couldn't bear the thought of starting over, so I cheated and kept playing with that character.

• 33 posts
    January 26, 2014 1:36 AM EST
    I wish I could cheat! But I can't look at the character the same way again. It gets more ridiculous - I usually start again with the same character! Doing the same quests again. Argh!
    • 338 posts
    January 26, 2014 1:38 AM EST

I just usually write it off as a curious premonition about something bad happening to my character. Yeah, all my characters pretty much have ESP.

• 127 posts
    January 26, 2014 1:53 AM EST
    I have a weird way of playing skyrim (and other tes games) when I die, I have 3 options
    1. Sell my main weapon and main armor set
    2. Give up 25000 septims
    3. Delete my character
    • 360 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:00 AM EST

role playing death is a hard thing sometimes, does anyone know a game that portrays the fact that you died in a lore friendly and excusable way? I only know of one, maybe two games that do that

• 127 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:47 AM EST
    Dark souls
    • 33 posts
    January 26, 2014 4:40 AM EST
    I will try the premonition thing and see if I can reconcile with the character.
  • January 26, 2014 5:05 AM EST

You know, playing DiD is just going a few saves further than playing normally, you go back to Helgen instead of going back to Whiterun or whatever.

• 33 posts
    January 26, 2014 5:56 AM EST
    Thanks guys, I think I will give my character a scar and put them to bed for a few days to justify being 'knocked out'.
    • 360 posts
    January 26, 2014 12:14 PM EST

besides that one, even though it has the best and most in depth explanation

• 47 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:01 PM EST

Never played Dark souls, what happens when you die?

• 365 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:03 PM EST

The developers hunt you down, slap you, take your game and snap it.

• 360 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:28 PM EST

You don't, that is the whole point of dark souls, you are undead, cursed with eternal life, immortality. when something takes your life from you, you don't end, your cursed flesh persists, and you are revived beside a bonfire, the only place where the undead may rest. 

there are many ways to interpret why you are there and why you're undead, my favorite one is the following:

undeath, and hollowing, comes from the absence of humanity, those who did not posses it in the first place can not be cursed with the immortality, the dark sign that brands the undead. Humanity itself is not seen as a pure thing, it is instead pure blackness, the abyss itself, the giants that acquired the power of the first flame shunned the humans and placed them below because they were created from the abyss, by the pygmy.

the undead were hunted down by the giants and the other humans because of their curse, and were made captive in the asylum of the north. where they await the end of the world. this however is broken when a prophecy is born, a calling which makes the undead go to Lordran, the land of ancient lords, the beings who call themselves the gods and rule over the humans below them.

there are many interpretations to this as well, but the belief of the majority of the community is that the prophecy was created by Velka, the ancient godess of sin. to punish the Lords for a sin they committed, and there punishment will be the ones the shunned in the past, those immortal beings they locked up, to end their age of fire, and begin the dark age of man...

• 47 posts
    January 26, 2014 2:48 PM EST

Sounds cool how they've done it. It would be cool if in Skyrim the first time you died you awoke in Sovengarde and there was a minor questline to free yourself (you can only escape because your dragonborn) and then every time you died after that you had contacts in sovengarde who would yet again help you escape as they want to see Alduin destroyed.

But with Dark Souls, I'm really torn between if i should buy it or not, I'm mostly saving my money for The Divison, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age I and Watchdogs... and thats alot of money, so I'm thinking of watching a walkthrough on youtube to familiarise myself with the story for when Dark Souls 3 comes out, (i think i read it comes out this year)

• 360 posts
    January 26, 2014 3:02 PM EST

It's dark souls 2 actually, even if it is the 3rd game (kinda) in the series