Forums » General Gaming

Pissed the Hell Off

• 12 posts
    November 25, 2013 11:51 PM EST

Just bought Fallout 3 Goty on steam. 

Having to go through all this crap to get it to not CTD upon clicking new game on my windows 7. 

None of the "fixes" I have found online are working, so I am going to try to delete and re-download it.

Have any of you experienced similar issues. Do you have any idea how to fix this? I admit I have no expertise with these sort of issues....I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE DAMN GAME I SPENT GOOD MONEY ON!! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK? 

And sweet Jesus, Bethesda seems to just be ignoring this issue. What the actual fuck? 

Have they no respect for their loyal PAYING customers?

• 856 posts
    November 26, 2013 12:48 AM EST

If you are running a quad core, you will have frequent CTD. Fortunately there is a fix:

"The game engine has some issues with processors that have more than 2 cores. You can force the game to only use two of them and it will stop the freezing. I haven't had it freeze once since I did this several days ago. Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
    Find the line:

bUseThreadedAI=0
    change it to:
    bUseThreadedAI=1
    Add another line after it and insert:
    iNumHWThreads=2
    This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze."

Source 1, Source 2

I had this problem and the fix worked for me. Good Luck.

• 365 posts
    November 26, 2013 7:49 AM EST

Ha! Rune at the rescue!

• 661 posts
    November 26, 2013 10:00 AM EST

No, why no I haven't. I've got it on xbox 360.