Forums » Elder Scrolls

Radiant Dialogue Choices!! Are they possible?

• 37 posts
    January 15, 2012 6:18 AM EST

Ok so i got to thinking the other day about the conversation system in Bethesda games, especially the elder scrolls one, i find that they mostly lack that certain oomph found in other rpgs which help you immerse yourself more with your character. Now i have no desire for my character to ever actually speak in an elder scrolls game i'm fine with selecting the text and playing it out in my mind, however, i would LOVE if they could some how introduce a radiant conversation system.

Let me explain exactly what i mean. So basically the elder scrolls games give you a blank canvass and the tools to create any type of character you wish. Great, we all love it. Now imagine if the game could track your behavior and based on your actions you got options in dialogue that reflected the way you have been conducting yourself in the world.

For example tasked with helping a man get back a stolen item from bandits you would get different options depending on how you have been playing. If you have been generally doing good and helping people, you would obviously get options like, "of course i'll help you my friend, these villains must be brought to justice, i will return your stolen ring". Or if you have gone the merciless killer for hire route, you get something like "oh i can get your ring back sure enough chum, and i'll gladly kill those who took it but whats in it for me ay?" Also obviously the npcs would react differently to the different answers, some would fear a ruthless killer and maybe not even ask for his help and others would scorn a fearless do gooder, so even a single encounter could play out very differently depending on your play style.

The example I've tried to give is probably not a great one but hopefully you can see what i'm getting at, i imagine it would be hard enough to implement such a mechanic into the game but if they could, i think it would bring a whole new level to the immersion and role playing and give the conversation system a much needed make over imo. What do you's think??

• January 15, 2012 6:50 AM EST

That would need a form of technology that most likely would take over the world.

• January 15, 2012 6:52 AM EST

Do you mean Mass Effect style or something more complicated?
    I did hear ( Ages  ago ) about something that could do something like that, I don't quite remember what it was, sadly.. 

• 426 posts
    January 15, 2012 6:59 AM EST

Its a nice idea but the amount of programming that would need to be done would be immense. Im not sure its something that could be brought in without a few bugs like with the new radiance system. Something similar to the mass effect system would be much easier but that would lose some of the spontaneity that a system like radiance offers. Good post though.

• 577 posts
    January 15, 2012 9:21 AM EST

Of course this would be ideal and awesome. Fallout3 had a similar thing going on. Can't really recall, but it had to do with Karma. If you were doing a bunch of shitty things, I believe some options wouldn't come up at all. Sounds like you're getting at more of an AI "feeling" your attitude to a situation. One time in Skyrim (I think it was a DB quest) I was suppose to ice a merchant in Whiterun. I totally forgot about it and was trying to buy something from him. He was acting real weird and saying he didn't like the looks of me, etc. and wouldn't sell me anything. I went to my journal and realized why he was so nervous. That was kinda cool.

I see what you mean though. I'm with Guy and the programming would be way to immense. Try being a vampire, you'll get a little more 'attitude'. ha!

I really look forward to The Witcher 2 on console souly on the fact that your decisions really make a difference in the outcome of the came. Wish Skyrim had some of that.

• 29 posts
    January 15, 2012 2:48 PM EST

Wonderful idea! I loved in Dragon Age II that depending upon previous dialogue choices, your character spoke differently in cutscenes. Something that tracked your character's tone and personality would be wonderful! :D