Forums » Elder Scrolls

Going Solo???

• 426 posts
    January 11, 2012 4:48 AM EST

I made the decision at the start of my first game to only dive into dungeons and ruins if i had a quest to that particular place. This system seemed to work for me, but when i started hearing about how other people play the game to the point where they had gone trekking in the wilderness on their own diving in dungeons and ruins only to later find a quest in the same place won't work or allow you to complete.

Is it worth just wandering around the dungeons of Skyrim or should we stick to waiting for directions???

• 2 posts
    January 11, 2012 5:17 AM EST

Actually you will find alot of dungeons have thier own self-contained quests. I  found a barrow once and went in to explore where I ended up on a quest while inside. Whenever I go out exploring I usually find something interesting to get into including quests. So I would encourage exploration.

• 426 posts
    January 11, 2012 5:24 AM EST

Im not saying exploration is a no no just that it has caused glitches and faults to quests in certain dungeons or ruins. Im just looking to see if other people have found that or they have had no probs galavanting around going where they please.

• 2 posts
    January 11, 2012 5:27 AM EST

Oh gotcha in my experience ive never had a problem glitching out quests that way. The only thing that might bug me is I will find quest related items that cant be dropped so I have to go on a hunt for the quest. lol My inventory space is precious to me.

• January 11, 2012 10:23 AM EST

I used to really enjoy just wandering around and simply stumbling into whatever cave, burial mound, etc that I came across. This tendency however effectively ruined the Forbidden Legend quest I was doing and its still driving me nuts that I can't get this off my Quest list. 

That being said, I still take the time to wander around and find stuff...but the difference is now I end up hesitating before entering places I find which is kind of a bummer. I was thinking of getting the guidebook so I could at least check to see if a certain space is connected to a quest or  not. Kinda kills the spontaneity though 

• 426 posts
    January 11, 2012 11:02 AM EST

Thats it exactly, I think its probably because of the way that the Radiance system works. After the second update it seemed to reset the radiance engine and few things sorted out in my game. But i know that my brother has a word wall that doesnt give up its secrets and Ive heard of another couple of quests that have been locked out.

• 577 posts
    January 11, 2012 11:46 AM EST

@ G-the Brave-Have you forged the amulets together in the Forbidden Legends quest? that should get it off your list.

• January 11, 2012 11:57 AM EST

I can't get the last piece!!!!  Theres this weird bug or something and because I went in and cleared out the dungeon with the last piece BEFORE getting the quest, now I can't find the final piece of the amulet anywhere. The quest arrow points to an area in the water but there is nothing there. I saw there was command you can enter in the console that can reset that if you're on PC, but Im on PS3. 

I was riding the subway to work this morning and thinking about this very thing (not paying bills, terrorism, global warming or any other real world crap..lol!) I wish this was something that could be addressed in a future patch..I heard that amulet is kick ass.

• 856 posts
    January 11, 2012 1:08 PM EST

Aye.  I hate it when I get some quest item dumped on me.  Either the game should warn you that the item in question is a quest item - but allow you to drop it anyway, if you wish (except a 'cursed' item); or all quest items should have Zero weight.

• 2 posts
    January 11, 2012 1:33 PM EST

G - I did this quest specifically to get it off my list on Monday haha.  If you feel like cheating go to uesp.net.  You can search in the box for the name of the quest and all the "directions" will pop on a page devoted to that quest.  Yeah it's kinda like cheating - and I know that's not for some people, but if you're deperate to get the quest out of your inventory it'll tell you how usually, especially if yours is being glitchy. 

• January 11, 2012 1:40 PM EST

I checked there before but the only 'fix' they had required I be on a pc to enter the command to override the glitch. I'll check again anyway. Thanks tho! 

• 14 posts
    January 11, 2012 1:57 PM EST

Sometimes I just check UESP or Elder Scrolls Wikia if I feel that a dungeon/cave looks like it should be saved for later due to a quest.  Another thing is, I suppose if some places aren't covered by side quests, they might be covered in a misc contract, clearing a place out of bandits for example.

• 426 posts
    January 11, 2012 5:06 PM EST

I obviously picked up something here I thought it was just me. Luckily Nothing has been permanent, Ive been able to sort most things out apart from a misc obj of collect a reward from a Jarl. Just wont let me do it?

• January 11, 2012 5:10 PM EST

My understanding was that a player should essentially be able to do whatever they want without having to be 'punished' by the system for jumping the gun. I think it might be a glitch...Im not sure though.

• 426 posts
    January 11, 2012 5:18 PM EST

I think i have been extremely tbh. I ve heard of some game breaking glitches in conjunction with quests. 

One thing I have had to do is change how i move through skyrim in my new game. As im writing his journal Im trying to roleplay the character as best I can. Ive found myself double guessing myself or just simply going the opposite direction i naturally might of been inclined to take. Hopefully it will lead to some interesting encounters and hopefully give more life to my character. One thing to note it seems to take twice as long to do anything now lol 

• 577 posts
    January 11, 2012 7:59 PM EST

You say the arrow is pointing at the 'spot' where it should be, right? The first thing I thought of is maybe when you were in there before you FusDo'd it somewhere around during a battle or something. You've seen what the other two look like (pretty camoflage and small) so it may be a tough find. Don't think the arrow was programed to follow the item. Just candlelight, magelight that bitch up and search around! Just an idea. I'm sure you've done that already.

You might have to let this one go. I had to let go of half the companions quest do to a glitch. Sucks ass.

I just proofread my response. I think you have to get it off one of the brothers, it's not just laying there...shit, it's been awhile since that quest for me.

• January 11, 2012 8:04 PM EST

Thanks Ty. I searched around online and it would seem that this is a glitch that many people are experiencing. Even if Clairvoyance is used it will track to one specific point in the water but..nada. Ive searched very thoroughly..even Fus Ro Da'd the water in that area because I figured maybe it was buried in soil ( dont laugh I was desperate..lol)

I think youre right about having to walk away from it. Just somewhat maddening.

• 577 posts
    January 11, 2012 8:08 PM EST

Everytime I hear about a glitch like this, it opens up my wounds on the CQ for me! I have to calm myself down!! haha!!

• January 11, 2012 8:10 PM EST

LOL...sorry!

• January 13, 2012 11:27 AM EST

Just a quick follow up..I was wandering around again last night and ended up going into a cave I discovered. This time the quest generated from within the cave and it made me so happy that I could confidently sally forth and know that nothing else in the game was gonna get jacked up. I love this game so much. It reminds me of the sense of wonder and excitement I felt when I first played Kings Field all those years ago. 

• 2 posts
    January 13, 2012 1:13 PM EST

• 426 posts
    January 13, 2012 1:24 PM EST

The radiance system is v clever when it works properly