Forums » Elder Scrolls

Help me with my first Assassin build RP

• 82 posts
    January 3, 2012 5:10 PM EST

Hello Community,

I have been wanting to create a sneaky assassin character for a long time, but I am having trouble with some of the role playing elements with each race.  I have been reading up on Elder Scrolls lore but I always get stuck at trying to pick a race.  I know you can pick any and make any build but I want to make an assassin character that is fun to role play.  He will probably use bow, daggers, dual wield swords, sneaking, illusion, alchemy etc  FYI I have always made warriors and I want to try something new.  The races I am considering are Dunmer, Bosmer, Imperial, and Redguard.  I want to join the Imperials in my playthrough since I've already done the stormcloaks.  Of course joining the theives and dark brotherhood guild is a must.  Which races do you recommend and why for this kind of archtype?   

• 28 posts
    January 3, 2012 5:25 PM EST
    I enjoy the assassin/thief approach to elder scrolls games! My main character at the moment is a Khajiit. (though I admit I sort of made him more of a jack-of-all trades class) so I've just recently started a wood elf assassin that will focus primarily on bows, duel daggers and alchemy. 

Not sure if my little ramble is of any use to you at all! But have fun being a silent killer of the night!
    • 739 posts
    January 3, 2012 5:58 PM EST

Hi mate, have you tried the character build group? I posted up a shadowscale a few weeks ago which fits what your talking about. Shadowscale

Overall i would strongly suggest picking the race you like the look of the most when making a stealthy assassin, for example an orc could dish out the most sneak damage, but would you feel comfortable sneaking around with an orc? I'd feel like an idiot...

Just push at Illusion like crazy, once you can cast muffle and invisibility easily all the other skills catch up very quickly! Its a very powerful character, if i had one hour to make the strongest character possible, the assassin would be my 1st choice.

• 82 posts
    January 3, 2012 7:14 PM EST

I actually did see that Shadowscale build and did look at the group.  I just have certain preferences, I'd rather not play as an Argonian or a Khajit.  I usually don't play as elves either but I wanted to try something different.  Maybe a dunmer who just got sick of being pushed around by the nords.  Maybe a wood elf who wants to be free in the wilds and finds a knack for sneaking up on people.  Maybe a former Imperial Scout, who wants to take his skills to highest bidder in skyrim.  Maybe a Redguard who was more the nomadic type of desert peoples and wants to make money loaning his archer and blade skills out to a war torn skyrim.  These are just some of the ideas I have rolling around in my head.  Honestly I really wanted to make an assassin after watching Batman Begins.  I want to make a character based off Raz Al Gul (from the movie not the comics).

• 739 posts
    January 3, 2012 7:22 PM EST

Go with whatever race you like, it wont hinder your character overall. Dunmer was my choice when making my assassin because they look the part, if ever my stealth skills were caught short i had ancestral flame to fall back on, it dishes out an unhealthy 600 damage overall, enough to drop a giant if you learn how to move right.  Kite-kite-kite!

When you eventually make a character you like, be sure to post it!

• 7 posts
    January 3, 2012 7:37 PM EST

There's all this focus on races and their bonuses.  Just pick the race that you like visually and play the game.  Getting a +5 your pickpocket (for example) does nothing except make it a teensy bit easier in the beginning of your game.  All your skills will improve.  It sounds like you've already made most of your choices.  Just pick a race :)

• 9 posts
    January 3, 2012 8:07 PM EST

It sorta depends on what vibe you want to get from your character. If you want him/her to be more mischievous than bad, I would choose a Khajiit who would primarily focuses on the Thieves' guild and then have the Dark Brotherhood as a secondary thing to do. If you want someone who you can look as more of an evil character, I would choose a Dunmer or an Argonian who focuses primarily on the Dark Brotherhood. Also, for these more 'evil' characters, I would recommend becoming a vampire. Lastly, if you prefer a 'good' stealthy character, I would recommend a Bosmer who would not give as much attention to either the Thieves' Guild or Dark Brotherhood, but would primarily focus on himself and what he thinks he should do. 

• 856 posts
    January 3, 2012 8:21 PM EST

If you want a boost to your chosen skills, then Bosmer is a good pick.  If you are looking for role-playing, then pick the one that suits your mood/ backstory.  I never do thieve's guild / assassin guild with same character, myself (thief guild is opposed to killing their marks, plus that lets me split up the missions between two different races)

• 82 posts
    January 3, 2012 11:14 PM EST

I never thought about that.  Hmmmm.  I've never done the DB in any ES games, so I make try DB this time around.  

• 38 posts
    January 4, 2012 12:46 AM EST

after the great war, nords have hated all elves

• Con
    • 41 posts
    January 6, 2012 4:23 PM EST

Try the pussy cat. They get bonuses to sneak and other useful enhancements right off the bat.

What type of Assassin do you plan on making? Bow and arrow based? Backstab? Or magic?

• 426 posts
    January 6, 2012 7:17 PM EST

You seem to have alot of ideas. Let the story guide you. Developing your back story will give you more insight into your characters motives. Where they orignate from might restrict which race you pick, past triumphs and failures will mould your character and limit your decisions. Once you've got an idea stick with it if you dont like the results start over. just means you will have to play more Skyrim what a shame  lol