Forums » General Gaming

Capture cards

• 180 posts
    March 3, 2013 2:14 PM EST

I get asked a lot about what kind of device I use to capture game play, so thought I'd post a discussion for future reference, to help Xbox and PS3 players decide what kind of device is right for them. I've had two capture cards which I'll link here.

The first card I had was the roxio game capture. This device works with component cables, and offers really good quality. Here is a video I recorded from this device. A big plus about this card is that it can be constantly connected between your tv and xbox, without needing to be attached to a pc to provide the power. Other cards don't support this, and without having your computer connected, your tv won't display anything.

My current device is the Roxio game capture HD pro. This device works with both component and hdmi cables, gives better quality and better editing, but is more expensive than the one above. Here is a video from this device. 

After I experienced some problems with my Roxio HD, I switched over to the Elgato game capture. This gives the best capture options of all the devices, and as long as you have it hooked up, you can rewind through what you have already done and then record it. This means that forgetting to hit record isn't the end of the world. The only problem with this card is that the editing options are terrible and editing is best done in another program. Here is the most recent capture I have done with this card.

I used AVS video editor to now edit my videos. This was recommended to me by TZ and is a great program. It has loads of great editing tools which are really easy to get the hang of. It also exports in 720p HD at a tiny file size. On my older cards, a 10 minute video could take over 3 hours to upload to youtube. Using AVS, I now upload the same size video in just an hour. The only problem I've had with the software so far is it refusing to preview, making adding voice overs very difficult (TZ doesn't have this problem so it might just be an issue with my computer). Besides that, I strongly recommend purchasing this software if you are worried about long upload times or using the Elgato game capture.

If you don't want to spend the extra money and are using the Elgato, you can also edit the files in windows movie maker.

That's all for now guys, if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them in the comments section.

• 180 posts
    March 3, 2013 2:29 PM EST

To answer the first question, you would need the second one.

Now, The set up is pretty basic. First you install the software onto your pc. Once you have that done you set the device up. You'll have a usb cable which connects the card to your pc. You'll use the hdmi cable that connects between your xbox and your tv, and use it to connect between your xbox and the capture card. Lastly, you'll need another hdmi cable (most times you'll have to buy it separately) and connect that between the device and your tv. Then you just start the program and can start taking screen shots and recording.

The software has set up tutorials on it to help with set up, and the roxio site has some diagrams that show you what it should look like. 

• 952 posts
    March 3, 2013 2:45 PM EST

PS4 will support these features without a card, so if it isn't necesairy right now it might be smart to just not to buy a card now (if they are expensive) but to just buy one of the new consoles later this year. Xbox would be wise to follow the playstation because that is one nice feature.

• 952 posts
    March 3, 2013 3:12 PM EST

I don't know, PS4 is getting some pretty good titles at release and some other good ones shortly after.

• 180 posts
    March 30, 2013 9:15 PM EDT

Just a quick heads up. Some of you may know my capture card has been refusing to work (I've complained about it enough). Anyway, I've been doing some research and am buying a new one from a different company on Wednesday. I'll be posting the first video I make here, as well as comparing it to my old card, and giving a quick overview of another card I looked into via the internet. 

I'll also be posting some important information for PS3 players, who are looking into getting a HD capture card themselves.

• 180 posts
    May 19, 2013 3:16 PM EDT

Finally got around to reviewing my Elgato card and new editing software. Again, I'm happy to answer any questions.

• 133 posts
    October 25, 2013 4:18 PM EDT

Would the AVS video editor be better than the one for Roxio?

• 739 posts
    December 10, 2013 6:32 AM EST

Found it Ben! Thanks!

I was already looking at the Elgato which is meant to be the dogs genitals...

• 739 posts
    December 10, 2013 7:09 AM EST

Just found this, looks like it'll do the job...

• 51 posts
    December 14, 2013 2:05 PM EST

Gopher just did a great video of the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II box, which is targeted at console users: