Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morrowindizing Skyrim

• 8 posts
    February 17, 2013 6:42 PM EST

Morrowind lovers -- this is for you!

I love the Lore and Gameplay of Skyrim, but I find myself getting bored with characters quickly in a way I never did with Morrowind. I eventually decided that the reason was that I can blow through the game in any order I want with a well-constructed Skyrim character. Morrowind was just harder and required trial-and-error in a way that Skyrim generally doesn't. The encounter and loot leveling mechanic added in Oblivion and Skyrim makes the game easier, and cranking up the difficulty is an "artificial difficulty".

It turns out that the modding community has figured this out too. A combination of two mods will almost entirely unlevel the world of Skyrim. ERSO plus Morrowloot makes Skyrim's NPCs, monsters, and loot hard scaled like Morrowind's, rather than leveled to your character level. This will make the game a lot harder, but I think also a lot more satisfying. If you wander into a dragon barrow at level 5, you'll die. That's the way it should be, I think.

The two mods are highly configurable and there are a ton of other optional changes, many of which add great challenges.

Morrowind fans, I encourage you to check this out. Those of you who joined the franchise only with Oblivion or Skyrim, you should check this out too -- but be prepared for an entirely new type of challenge.

I'd love to hear about your experiences with these or other unleveling mechanics, gaming old school.

• 661 posts
    February 17, 2013 6:49 PM EST

You never played on master difficulty have you? I thought you were going to say somethin about Project Skywind.

• 8 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:20 PM EST

I do play on Master, actually. But even on Master, the leveling remains the same. Gaining levels becomes more important because you have more options, but you can still run almost any dungeon at any time. Deleveling the game means it actually matters what order you play the game in.

• 377 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:27 PM EST

lol I thought the same thing, something about Skywind.

• 739 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:32 PM EST

I agree with this, sometimes I think it would be cool to go back to the old ES days. Morrowind could be scary like that, poke your nose into the wrong place and you will be insta killed!

Skyrim isn't completely devoid of punishment though...

I left Helgen the other day and trotted Falkreath way a little (collecting bugs I think) ran into a little bandit camp by the stream (the one with the alteration skill book) and was busy poking through their things when a Bandit Marauder jumped out of the hedge and screamed 'Shore have mercy' in my ear waving his two hander...

Now I'm not one to run but at level 1 I didn't think my frostbite venom was going to do the trick...

Shit myself and pegged it...

• 856 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:43 PM EST

I miss that too... it was kinda silly in Oblivion (ES IV) when you could complete the MQ, and everything else, at second level.  I have run into some problems in Skyrim.  Goto the wrong place at the wrong time and you can see sabre cats, trolls, etc.; the most annoying is those damn vampires with the death hounds - they'll kill a 2nd level (or a 5th or 10th for that matter). 

But I do wish there were more places dangerous - I hate the world 'levelling with you'.  I would love Skyrim with high level town guards, high level dungeons, and dragons that would just swallow a low level whole.

• 8 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:48 PM EST

Yeah, the leveling in Skyrim isn't as bad as Oblivion. ERSO gets rid of it almost entirely though (and Morrowloot is for containers). All guards are level 20, dragons are a random static level. It's gloriously painful.

• 661 posts
    February 17, 2013 8:54 PM EST

This game is really hard. I went to a vampire dungeon yea, and I died. This was lvl 30. I went to fight some deathlords and I died this was lvl 50, I went to fight a dragon at lvl 75 and I died. I fought miraak at lvl 76 and I lived maybe they need harder bosses but the enemies are hard enough fuck a mud crab can kill you at lvl 20 if your not careful. i know this game is really hard maybe it just needs more content.

• 1 posts
    February 18, 2013 6:44 AM EST

Also, Skyrim Redone combined with WTF looks like another great option.