Forums » Elder Scrolls

What you look for in a mod?

• 6 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:31 PM EST

When you go looking for a new mod to try. What do you mostly look for?

Armor

Player home

Weapon

Magic

Where do you get your mods from the most? Nexus or Steam Workshop?

• 952 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:37 PM EST

Some really HD weapon retextures like the one Millenia started but didn't finish http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1754

and the same thing for armors but those are easier to find.

I love Tundra defense and sometimes look for other similar mods but RTS is the only one close to it that really is something.

And better magic mods, which currently is still the mod named "better magic" because it keeps the vanilla spells but balances them in a way that they are more similar to melee weapons and bows when it comes to doing more damage by picking perks. It makes them just as strong as melee weapons instead of too weak like the vanilla magic or way to strong like most mods do.

My mods come from the great Nexus ofcourse, workshop is for pussies.

• 773 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:44 PM EST

Mods that add or fill out the content of the game - by which I mean those which add quests or factions (or fill out the ones already there). Also those which add life and immersion to existing locations, or add new locations to explore.

Personally, I've little interest in purely graphical mods - its about adding content from my perspective

• 291 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:44 PM EST

I get my mods from Nexus exclusively.  I don't like that Steam automatically updates mods for you as that can lead to some serious problems if the mod needs to be cleansaved before an update.  I prefer the NMM method that simply shows you when a new version has been released.

Anyway, I'm almost always looking for immersion and gameplay mods.  I do have some armor mods installed and I tend to go for a lore-friendly and detailed look in that department.  Also mods that increase variety while maintaining realism.  Or mods that balance something that I feel is unbalanced.

That said, I love perusing player homes, though I rarely download them.  I'm never satisfied with a player home unless I've made it myself.

• 6 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:48 PM EST

I don`t bother with graphical mods unless a mod needs it. Like say eyes , face for example for a follower or armor.

Am mostly Nexus . The mod manager is very handy.

• 6 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:52 PM EST

I agree re Steam Workshop. I only get player homes from there to do a mod review for my showcase videos. Keep the ones I like best but don`t have them auto updating.

Player homes please feel free to check out my youtube channel I reviewed some of the lastest ones and more on the way. I found a zoo today :)

If you have or find any mods you like me to include in a video showcase review please let me know.

• 952 posts
    November 14, 2012 5:52 PM EST

But the lighting and shadows in Skyrim are just pathetic, the only graphical mod needed to solve those is any ENB  of the version 0.112 or above, where you can customise it to your own preferences and enable and disable a whole bunch of effects on top of the shadow fix.

• 6 posts
    November 14, 2012 6:07 PM EST

I agree but the sad thing is Skyrim was also made for consoles and we all know that they can`t beat a good PC. They should of done a PC version with all the good stuff.