Forums » Elder Scrolls

New necromancer build

• 8 posts
    November 14, 2012 2:33 PM EST
    Hi all, i'm going to start a new character based around magic! Most probably dark! Just looking for suggestions that would make a new game more interesting, suggestions for character build, perks, spells, attire and backstory! All suggestions welcomed
  • November 14, 2012 3:27 PM EST

I'm sure we have some good Necromancer builds (better than Prima's guide builds, trust me). I would suggest the Bloodletter, the Revenant, and the Cryptstalker, those are my favorite ones.

• 271 posts
    November 14, 2012 3:33 PM EST
    The Fearmonger. 'Nuff said.
  • November 14, 2012 3:37 PM EST

Oh did I forget that, also awesome

• 8 posts
    November 14, 2012 3:47 PM EST
    Yea i was looking at the cryptstalker! Very intriguing build! This will be my very first magic based character so want something that will keep me interested! Any suggestions for spell focus and stuff like that guys?
    • 8 posts
    November 14, 2012 3:50 PM EST
    And also is it worth being a vampire lord as a mage?
    • 7 posts
    November 15, 2012 10:05 PM EST

I did a battle necromancer build centered around alteration, conjuration (undead only) and one handed.  I also added a bound bow later on it worked rather well on expert. 

• 409 posts
    November 16, 2012 6:16 AM EST

Depends if I were a vampire lord I would also take enchanting so you can enchant your things to regenerate your health and magika in the daylight. But I always found vampire necromancer builds work pretty well so I would do it.

• 8 posts
    November 16, 2012 10:44 AM EST
    Cheers for the suggestions guys, just started as a crypstalker but i've run into a problem! If im hidden my minions wont attack enemies! They only seem to attack when i've been spotted or get into the battle
    • 127 posts
    March 17, 2013 6:34 PM EDT

Necromancy and Absorb Life are 'dark' spells. I also suggest using Shock as main source of damage as it doesn't break stealth. And Storm Call + Lighting Storm is awesomesauce.
    So you stealthy kill some bandits  and then raise two of them as your minions afar and you then bolt the others. When I play a really evil and dark build I use thunderbolt even at my own minions so it can jump to enemies aswell
    Note: Shock spells disintegrate the target if you take the perk, so you select 2 enemies to raise as minions, be sure to finish them with ice spikes and then start using shock spells.

• 118 posts
    March 18, 2013 2:05 AM EDT
    When i played a necromancer i wound up also going for a dagger assassin type character. My reasoning is i wanted to wear robes and be a mage but unless training enchanting there are crap all gloves to wear as a mage so i settled on the shrouded hand wraps, thus a dagger assassin slash necromancer was born. Theres a build on this site (cant recall name) that is quite similar to this style which, if i recall, was extremely well thought out and quite an interesting take on necromancy.

My only issue with the cryptstalker (and its only a small personal style issue) is that using the bound bow when specializing in conjuration always ends up feeling more like an archer build than a necromancer for me. If i were to play a necromancer build again id probably do it as a strict magic only build.

Necromancers can be devilishly fun to play once it gets going but it can be tough early on. I found at the beginning i relied heavily on my raised minions to tank and deal damage, unfortunately youre only raising weak enemies to start out so they die rather easy. Dnt get frustrated, it gets a lot more fun at later levels (although i absolutely hate dead thralls).