Forums » Elder Scrolls

Would Anyone Else Like To See The Return Of Skill Specific Quest

• 37 posts
    December 14, 2011 5:52 AM EST

First let me explain exactly what i mean by the title of this post. For anyone here who played Fallout New Vegas, you will no doubt remember that at numerous times during your adventure, you would come across quests that could be solved more easily if you had bumped points into a certain skill.

I was actually expecting to see these type of quests make a return in Skyrim, although i can understand why they didn't, as Fallout N.V was primarily developed by Obsidion not Bethesda. Even so, the skill specific quests were one of the few things critics thought Obsidion done better than Bethesda and were actually a vast improvement over Fallout 3, giving your skill choices meaning.

For those of you who do not know what i'm on about, i will give you an example as if they had put this sort of thing into Skyrim.

You go to the temple of the divines and find numerous people there are sick with plague and upon speaking to the main priest, you discover that there has been a rare out break of some disease, that needs a very specific cure. The priests do not know what ingredients are needed for this cure, but there is an old healer, who lives in the near by mountain range, who was around when the last out break struck and he is sure to have a recipe for the cure.

So when the priests ask you could you seek out this healer and ask him for the recipe, your reponse options would be something along the lines of;

1)Sorry I'm to busy right now.                                                                                                            

2)O.k I shall seek out this healer immediately                                                                              

3)Alchemy: I could try brew this cure for you                                                                                                                                                                                                           

So in this situation if your alchemy skill was high enough you could successfully brew the cure for them without having to trek all the way off to find the healer and still get the same amount of experience points. There really is no limit to the way they could include this in each quest and it would reward you for picking certain skills. When it was used in Fallout NV i really enjoyed this system as it made it easy for me to play the role i had chosen and made me feel like my choices had greater meaning. I think this sort of thing would be great used in guild specific quests, requiring you to get to a certain level in a specific skill before you could accept certain quests, thus ensuring your character had what it took to rise to the top of that guild.

Many of you will probably not agree with me and that is fair enough, but for me personally, to see the system be implemented into the game via a future dlc would be great.

• 21 posts
    December 14, 2011 8:57 AM EST

Sounds cool, and I do remember these from New Vegas.  I had high repair and medicine skills, and they definitely came in handy during the Boomers quest-line.

But...with Skyrim, you don't get XP from completing quests.  You only level up from using/improving your skills.  So, in your above example, having a high Alchemy skill level and bypassing the trek to the mountain would actually preclude an opportunity to improve your character.  (Since, I imagine, there'd be some fighting along the way to the old healer, the healer might want you to retrieve specific ingredients for him in another cave before he helps you, etc.)

I hear what you're saying though.  And in their defense, Bethesda did include persuade and intimidate options when dealing with certain situations.  Like in Riften when Sapphire is extorting the stable boy - you can just persuade her to drop the issue instead of having pay off the kids "debt".

• 37 posts
    December 14, 2011 1:12 PM EST

Yeah i have come across it myself in the game but its just either bribe, persuade or intimidate and not skill specific which is a shame, as like i said i think it was a cool feature and would add some much needed depth to the conversation system in my opinion.

~Face palms self~

I cant believe i didn't spot the fact that we don't receive xp anymore for completing quests in skyrim before i posted that. Cheers for pointing it out, although with that aside, they could still work around you missing out on improving your character and instead you would gain points in say, speech-craft and alchemy(if using the above example).

• 14 posts
    December 16, 2011 1:42 AM EST

All we can wait for is a new Fallout.  I can only imagine the badassness and hope they take there time with it, like bethesda does with the Elder Scrolls.  Even a new country would be cool.  Like crazy Russia or something! 

• December 16, 2011 2:23 AM EST

James Graham: That might be considered as copying the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Games though

• 14 posts
    December 16, 2011 6:01 AM EST

oh i've never played those game(s) before. i'll have to check that out.

• 66 posts
    December 16, 2011 4:11 PM EST

Those annoyed the hell out of me

Made me feel like I had to put points into the skills or miss out on something; totally ruined the immersion experience.

It might work in Skyrim since you can train the skills not just shoot things and then somehow gain points in medicine (seems legit).  

• 37 posts
    December 17, 2011 4:14 AM EST

But you never did miss out on anything you just had to complete the quests a different way or if you were high enough in a certain skill you could use your knowledge of that skill to complete the quest. I felt like it rewarded you for the skills you choose and put them to use in a realistic way, i think they would have worked very well in skyrim, but i respect your opinion mate.