Forums » Elder Scrolls

** Spoilers ** Paarthunax must die?

• 3 posts
    October 24, 2012 12:26 AM EDT

"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"
    Esbern told me that I must kill Paarthunax. I joined the blades rather than the Greybeard because I thought them to be too 'culty'. Turns out the blades are no different. When you played, did you kill the dragon or not, and why?

• October 24, 2012 12:36 AM EDT

I saved Paarthurnax, duh 

F the Blades, they can go to hell with their closed-minded outlook on dragons.

The phrase you quoted from Paarthurnax is actually really good, I love that quote. It reminds me of all the really awesome Star Wars quotes.

• 3 posts
    October 24, 2012 12:44 AM EDT
    Nothing cooler than a dragon's redemption.
    • 271 posts
    October 24, 2012 12:55 AM EDT
    You know that you can do all the Blades-quests without killing him. I think there is alot of clips about it on youtube.
    • 952 posts
    October 24, 2012 3:59 AM EDT

I can't kill Paarthurnax, he helped me with his advice, he helped me with my shouts, he's teaching the dragons how to be peacefull. Whatever he may have done in the past he also helped to stop Alduin back then. Killing him for the Blades is just doing evil, and it's not as if the blades have much to offer.

• October 24, 2012 3:23 PM EDT

He's more useful alive. Gameplay wise, the Blades are better when you find all of the word walls, but a potential army of dragons can have it's uses (Read, helping Thalmor).

• 14 posts
    October 24, 2012 4:28 PM EDT

I let him live. The Blades are too caught up in old scores and aren't looking at how to solve the problem in front of them. My character can kill any dragon I fight but I can't kill every dragon. As evidenced by the fact that they still randomly spawn after I killed Alduin.

Paarthunax admits that he won't be able to convert all the dragons to his teachings but he wants a chance to teach dragons that they can live in peace with mortals. So my character has a simple deal with Paarthunax. I won't go chasing after every dragon I see. I will give any dragon who is willing to heed his teachings a chance to live in peace. But if that red dot pops up on my compass, they're mine. And fitting that I use Dragonrend as soon as they go on the attack.

On a side note, it seemed fitting for my character to pick a fight with a group of people who are sworn to serve me. I really couldn't end the main quest on a better note than that.

• 285 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:06 PM EDT
    I respect Paathurnax too highly to kill him. For almost all of my chars, he's taken on a mentor role.
    • 10 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:09 PM EDT

Well when i played this part i did this:

Good character: spare Paarthunax 

Evil character: Kill Paarthunax

• 557 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:13 PM EDT

I kill him. I don't like dragons, and I don't trust Paarthurnax. 

• 966 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:24 PM EDT

I only kill him if I'm playing an evil character or if my character has blind loyalty to the Empire and does as the blades ask.

• 856 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:25 PM EDT

Aye, I agree Dieter.  Killing him is a sign of dishonor and betrayal.

• October 24, 2012 5:28 PM EDT

Ha! I was anticipating your answer

• 856 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:36 PM EDT

I spared him in my only MQ playthrough - I may make another character in the future that will kill him.  I will have to make a good backstory so it does not seem dishonorable, or create a character that isn't concerned with such things, or perhaps simply a 'dragon hunter'.  Emer's Tsaesci Build is an interesting choice, it gives role-play reasons for Paarthunax's death.

Question:  Can you kill him when you first encounter him?  And if yes, can you continue the MQ without him?