Forums » General Gaming

Anyone playing Dishonored?

• 773 posts
    October 22, 2012 11:52 AM EDT

Dishonored has been mentioned in various places on the site, but I don't believe we have a specific thread for it - and I thought it was time we did

I got a copy yesterday (Its a PS3 copy that my son got me as a gift for taking him to Spain on holiday last week!) I played a bit last evening and again this afternoon, so I can only give some early impressions.

Essentially its a stealth-action game, set in a grimy, rundown city called Dunwall. The setting is quite interesting because its a blend of medieval elements (swords, crossbows etc), early armaments (guns), together with magic, runes, and mechanical gadgetry. Overall, it combines to give a 'steampunk' vibe that reminds me of a very ancient game called 'Arcanum' that I played many years ago (albeit with massively upgraded graphics)

I don't expect the graphics will win any prizes. in fact I can't quite decide if they've deliberately gone for the comic book look (veering towards that found in Borderlands) or whether the graphics are just not very good. There are also some noticeable graphical glitches, especially with water - but that might just be the typical PS3 issues that anything with the Bethesda name associated with it tends to have

The selling point of the game is that you can do things in many different ways. Quests have many ways to complete them - from going in all guns (and swords) blazing, through to a totally stealth play through where you don't even get seen. Apparently you can complete the game without killing anyone, but I'm far too clumsy with a PS3 controller to manage that, and end up whipping out my crossbow to fend off attackers!

As I  say, its early days for me at the moment, but it looks like a game that I'll play through to a finish (the main quest looks relatively brief, although there are side quests too). It's a fun, enjoyable romp so far...

Anyone else playing this one?

• 966 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:02 PM EDT

I've completed it 4 times. 2 times in 3 days in my extended weekend 2 weeks ago :P

I suggest you try a 'perfect' playthrough sometime, it's the most awesome way to play in my opinion.

I got it on PC and I didn't notice anything wrong with the graphics, it's probaly just the PS3 again. Although you can't blame Bethesda this time, they didn't make it^^

I spend quite alot of time in Dunwall, done with it for now though, they'd better hurry up with that DLC.

• 5 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:19 PM EDT

Im not buying it until bethesda can prove its reliable to fix PS3 and get the DLC's out.

• 966 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:26 PM EDT

Bethesda didn't make Dishonored. Arkane studios did.

• 5 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:34 PM EDT

I know but bethesda is the publisher and they are both sub-companys of zenimax. They get money if I buy the game and they dont deserve it until they prove they do.

• 966 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:39 PM EDT

Read this. Trust me, you want this game, and you'll play it not once, not twice, but atleast 3 times. If not, you don't deserve to call yourself a gamer.

• 952 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:40 PM EDT

You do realise that you are punishing Arcane studios and not Bethesda for something that's actually Sony's fault right. And Bethesda only get a small part of the profit, Arcane studios gets most, and they've made some excellent games so far.

• 856 posts
    October 22, 2012 12:53 PM EDT

I am getting more and more tempted into getting this game - although honestly, I will have to wait for a price drop.  Questions (1) Is dead = dead a viable option?  (2) I've heard that you want to keep your kill count low for the best ending.  Does this apply to killing anything or just people?  (3)  How large are the zones? 

I may have more questions later, these three just popped into my head.

• 5 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:02 PM EDT

How is it sonys fault that bethesda cant code a game on a system that has been out for years. That sounds like bethesdas fault to me. I am about to read what you said alduin.

• 377 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:02 PM EDT

I've played it several times over. The gameplay style is very similar to that of Deus Ex: HR, so if you've played that and like it you'll very likely enjoy this. It's a fun game, but I though it was extremely short for $60. I'd wait until the price goes down.

• 271 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:03 PM EDT
    Assassins Creed 3 FOR. THE. WIN!! sorry, I just needed to say that! ;P

I had to choose between Dishonored and Ac3. And guess what i took...
    • 952 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:07 PM EDT

They can't release Dawnguard and many patches because the PS3 just isn't capable of running a game as massive is Skyrim, they can't just cut away half their game to make it work right? No developer would ever do that. If PS3 players want to play Skyrim with everything that PC and Xbox get then well, they should get another more capable gaming system than a PS3.

• 5 posts
    October 22, 2012 1:10 PM EDT

Alduin, the game sounds good but I think that AC3 will be better for an assassin game, and I know that I wont have to deal with any BS like this from them.